Nine Tennis Coverage

I think that Nine’s coverage has been quite good with the camera sights, graphics and studio. They are using the world feed commentators and in partnership with tennis australia.

Nine don’t have any play by play commentators and using Woodbridge and McEnore or Woodbridge and Courier. Whereas Seven could use Zemplias/Geoff Masters/McLachlan with an Expert …

In the female side, Nine is using Sam Smith as play by play with Dokic or Molik…

To improve, they need to show more matches once a match is finish, they didn’t show any Aussies matches once Barty is finished. Tomic and Milman for example…or updates/the app/9Gem

2 Likes

And just like this morning the Adelaide News.ltd is already slamming Nine! They at Murdoch press just say how rubbish everyone else’s coverage is, if they don’t have the rights. It’s getting a bit old…

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/tennis/follow-all-the-australian-open-action-in-our-live-blog-as-barty-de-minaur-wozniacki-and-federer-feature-on-day-1/live-coverage/2e446367cb1aa580682ffa18f5ae8928

1 Like

Channel change graphics:

ESPN2 in the US are using the same graphics as Nine.

1 Like

So? The interesting and more talented players aren’t Australian. Seven really overdid it with their tacky obsession for Australian players, often when there was a far more interesting match elsewhere.

7 Likes

Jim Courier isn’t just “some American”…

3 Likes

From Twitter, Eurosport and Fox Sports Asia:

Eurosport set:

That will be the Tennis Australia world feed graphics?

What do you mean by play by play?

Don’t give them ideas :slight_smile: They’ve already ruined cricket with play by play commentary.

Generally a tennis commentator who isn’t a former player who announces the scores and game results and the transitions between games and shots is a play by play. For example, Peter Donegan on the world feed. Seven use to have those useles pieces of shit…zemplais and McLachlan doing play by play.

Cricket has benefited from play by play. Isa Ghua does a great job. And on nine, despite popular belief had a play by play for each commentary stint. I saw their commentary lineup for a whole day once and one commentator was always a designated play by play… usually bill Lawry and tony Grieg and a few others like mark Nicholas.

3 Likes

Matt Hill (VRC race caller) was commentating a match on 9Gem and the international feed

To me, play by play for tennis is what you would typically hear on radio. For tennis commentary on radio, they commentate and describe every shot during a rally. Can you imagine that on tv?

Allan Stone is still around. He was on the world feed with John Fitzgerald for the Federer match.

Gem coverage finished at an earlier time at 11:20pm (EDT). Nine continued the coverage with replays of Bautista Agut v Murrray match.

Speaking of Peter Donegan, I saw this tweet from Stephen Quartermain earlier today:
https://twitter.com/Quartermain10/status/1084661309822590976

1 Like

They were horrendous, I agree.

I don’t think calling them a piece of shit a very appropriate description of them. Sure they’re shit commentators but I’m sure they’re not as shit in real person as in commentary. After all, they’re still people, not pieces of shits.

3 Likes

Yeah, because Jim Courier is the only American commentator we might hear :roll_eyes:

I am well aware of who Jim is, are you kidding, I was referring to another American who I obviously didn’t know the name of - having a go at Nine for not using their own commentators or other Australian commentators from world feed, seemed strange. Many on social media were wondering why too

Really? They usually use their own slick package. A bit odd.

But if they’re using the world.feed they don’t get a choice as to who’s commentating.

I’m not sure who you’re talking about but I think he also did a radio call for AO radio of the Nadal match. Very strong American accent.

Match Point?? Another epic fail.

4 Likes

AUSTRALIAN OPEN BROADCAST SCHEDULE - Tuesday 15 January

DAY SESSION

Starts 11.00am AEDT

DESTANEE AIAVA (Aus) V MADISON KEYS

JOHANNA KONTA v AJLA TOMLJANOVIC (Aus)

TATJANA MARIA v SERENA WILLIAMS

TAMARA ZIDANSEK v DARIA GAVRILOVA (Aus)

ALEXANDER ZVEREV v ALJAZ BEDENE

TARO DANIEL v THANASI KOKKINAKIS (Aus)

SAM STOSUR (Aus) V DAYANA YASTREMSKA