Nine Tennis Coverage

https://twitter.com/shanemcinnes/status/1751177440985219552

1 Like

Nine will be disappointed it was such a one-sided, quick women’s final, however they’ll be happy with the (rare) back-to-back championships for Sabalenka, first in over a decade with a fellow Belarusian and grunter Victoria Azarenka.

They’ll be hoping for a thrilling and part-Aussie Doubles Final victory later with Ebden. I think they’ll have to still show a replay, maybe last night’s epic, with telecast scheduled until midnight.

There’s a chance Seven might cause a massive upset thanks to the cricket and take out the night in share (although you’d think unlikely in rankings).

6 Likes

The doubles final is done and dusted (an Aussie won. Well done Matthew Ebden).

James Sherry, former children’s host (of A*Mazing fame) is back for another year - doing the MC work of the Men’s Doubles Final presentation.

6 Likes

They’ve been doing it since they got the rights, but it slightly bothers me how Nine go straight to an ad break after a match ends. They play the interview afterwards which ruins the moment a little. Seven always waited until the interview finished then went to an ad break.

Finals (like this Men’s Doubles one that just finished) are probably the exception because there is a presentation rather than an interview.

5 Likes

It really infuriates me since Nine’s desperation to show ads (which is exactly how it comes across) completely spoils the moment.

They do the same thing with the player walk-ons in that they’ll go to an ad break as the players walk through the ‘hall of champions’ and then show the players walking onto RLA afterwards.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Interesting Nine using archival Basil Zempilas commentary to open their promo for tonight, after his viral gaffe yesterday (just seen during an ad break)

Apart from a few things above, I think 9 has settled into the Tennis format after a few years of bedding it in, done a mostly good job I think. Some thinking needs to be done around the advertisements and priorities around shuffling matches around channels especially if something good is playing, delay the news it need be.

I don’t mind the studio now actually. Yes that building in the way is a tad annoying, but it’s really in the thick of the atmosphere.

However would be interested to see 7 give it another crack also. Doubt 9 would cede this tournament however, it’s a big driver for many cogs in the network.

4 Likes

I think you’ll find there’s nothing to see there…debunked literally a day ago…

I remember when Seven got the AFL rights back in 2007, they lured Dennis Cometti back to the network, after he had spent the previous five years at Nine where he (along with Eddie McGuire, Dwayne Russell and Brian Taylor) were among their chief callers. Other than him, I don’t think Seven acquired anyone else from Nine’s AFL commentary team, though JB and BT would later be reunited calling Friday nights together from 2021 (they formerly called Sunday matches together on Nine, usually the delayed 4:00pm match which immediately followed the live 1:00pm match called by Cometti and Russell).

Back on topic, and IIRC, Nine recently extended its deal with Tennis Australia to the end of this decade? If so, the earliest Seven could get the tennis rights back would be 2030. Todd Woodbridge would be approaching his 60th birthday by then.

But I have to also agree that acquiring the Australian summer of tennis in 2019 helped Nine to reclaim its mantle as “still the one”, after more than a decade playing second fiddle to Seven. Without it, MAFS wouldn’t be the ratings juggernaut it is now IMO.

3 Likes

Same goes with Nine and the cricket.

2 Likes

There was no need to Lure Dennis anywhere, he simply followed the AFL.
I believe his contracts ran in sink with the AFL rights.

6 Likes

Something tells me given Nine’s investment in the next deal and they fact they did that during their exclusive window before others like Seven even got a chance (yes a lot of it might have been to stop Seven even bidding as we know they wanted to or at least Warburton kept mouthing off)… This wasn’t really even on their radar and if it was probably a ‘fake bid’.

1 Like

Dennis did the sports report on Nine Perth

2 Likes

As he also did on Seven (Nightly) News in Perth prior to his defection to Nine.

3 Likes

Pre-match

7 Likes

Tonight’s codings will all be out of whack, match went longer than pre coding, “presentations” will still be the actual match, “post match” (if there is one) will be the presentations and “The First 48” will be the post match/Nine studio chat.

But with this new system from tomorrow, it’ll be interesring to see if the time corrections/adjustments will be done before official publication, given they’re not released until midday now I believe?

2 Likes

Nine would be happy with this year’s tournament

3 Likes

Late start for Nine News in Perth after the presentations.

4 Likes

To capitalise on the match audience, would’ve been better spilling that market over to 9Gem for the remainder of the telecast and going to Nine News Perth, could be wrong, but a lot would’ve dropped off over the past hour since.

Tournament telecast concluded 12:50am aedt, with Brace signing off on behalf of WWOS and the AO, also reminding viewers of the other upcoming Slams in 2024 (but forgot to plug NRL and the Olympics), then went to another Paris 2024 promo and The First 48 (48min overtime - a program will need to be dropped or truncated overnight to catch up before 9Early News maybe home shopping?)

3 Likes