Nine Technical Issues -- March & April 2021

Alicia Loxley normally wins the Sunday night ratings by a mile. Hopefully she won’t get bumped for a Sydney newsreader.

Or she could be the one to present the combined bulletin instead. It’s not like she’s unknown in Sydney either considering she did news on Weekend Today for a few years and does First at Five.

2 Likes

This is something I’ve queried - they are closely integrated but still should be able to go to air tonight at this stage I was told.

1 Like

Well that would be unnecessary - especially as by the time they’ve flown him up there the issue might be resolved.

If they did use NBN for an emergency service they’d surely use their newsreaders and expect the audience to be understanding.

Also over the last year we’ve seen newsreaders around the world presenting from home - I’m sure they could sort something if needs be. It sounds like the live content may actually be the least of the problems - it’s the IT needed to put the shows together which are causing more disruption.

2 Likes

Yes & while the issue is directly affecting live playout from Sydney, it’s also affecting the entire I.T. systems that are at the backend, enabling pre-production etc. of shows like the News, so they can’t pre-produce any segments, playout any pre-recorded segments or field reports, & can’t add supers etc, & I think this is a national system?
So while GTV can playout live shows & probably do some things under disaster recovery, Nationwide News could be a big issue, as they would likely use the Sydney systems & servers?

Perhaps this would be the best place to discuss the potential impact on Nine’s ‘technical difficulties’ on Nine News.

It seems that GTV can present live programming from Melbourne so even if this is a national issue some sort of bulletin will be possible at 6pm.

If it is just TCN and the Sydney that is impacted, there have been several solutions suggested including reading from Brisbane or Perth or NBN plus a combined Syd/Mel news.

I suspect the biggest impact, should the outage continue might be more the production of local Sydney stories; though I suppose there are 6 hours to work that out.

It’s Sydney and Brisbane that’s hugely affected. Other cities are affected but can run - Sydney in particular is completely fucked and it’s not the first time. They’ve had several near misses this year already I’m told.

If Nine can’t get the issue resolved before the clock strikes six tonight, I think the most likely scenario is a combined Sydney and Melbourne bulletin (fronted by Alicia Loxley) with perhaps one or two pre-recorded localised stories for Sydney in the latter stages of the bulletin when Melbourne can get one or two localised stories at the same time.

I think it’s unlikely that Nine will pre-record an entirely separate bulletin for Sydney from GTV before 6pm, because firstly it’s a bad look if there’s breaking news whilst pre-recorded news is being shown, and secondly the First at Five bulletin still needs to be produced out of Melbourne at 5pm.

1 Like

Lol
When has anyone said anything about pre recording?

Could possibly impact recorded programming that hasn’t finished production such as 60 Minutes for tonight.

2 Likes

It really depends on the dispatch and production cycle. Due to next week being a short week (Easter) it’s likely their timeline for this Sunday and next we’re altered to run to an earlier timeframe.

hope the nrl is not effected in newcastle

1 Like
9 Likes

Scroll up the thread and you’ll see that some people have suggested they could fly to Melbourne early to pre-record the bulletin.

Everyone can now calm their farm and wild speculation on how tonight will happen.

Thanks for sharing Bacco

All Nine have done is confirmed that they’ll output their schedule as planned - it will be interesting to see how they achieve some of it (especially the 6pm news) given the issue

2 Likes

Oh totally agree. I think that will be interesting to see how it is managed. But also 6pm is six hours away and a lot can happen in between that time.
Networks need to have contingency plans for this which I’m sure they are putting/have in place.

The only major concern is the 6pm news, where as majority of the other stuff would already be at NPC (60mins etc)

1 Like
4 Likes

This is the full crawler from this morning.

6 Likes

Knowing the distance between Sydney & Newcastle I’d would’ve thought you’d be much more likely to see Peter Overton driven rather than flown up there.

Especially since Jane Goldsmith has already been seen on Channel Nine Sydney (albeit at 5am) anyway…

Isn’t all (or most) of 60 Minutes pre-recorded anyway?

As for the NRL, I was under the impression they use OB trucks for the production of matches with the output probably going directly to NPC via satellite or IP (not sure which delivery method they use these days). Certainly I’d be extremely surprised if Nine sports feeds go to North Sydney for anything other than perhaps usage on the news.