Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

They look very Southern Cross. The more I see these updates, I’m impressed with the quality. They were easily the lowest quality updates only a couple of weeks ago but they’re pretty informative now and are all different.

1 Like

Because I know that this is a Joint Venture Station between Southern Cross and WIN Television. However, Win Television has the sales with Tasmanian Digital Television. I find it strange why TDT have voiceover mostly from SCA while WIN has the Sales.

1 Like

There was just an update at 11pm (unfortunately I didn’t have it recording) but it included news which was only released a couple of hours ago about a person arrested for a stabbing in Hobart last week so they are certainly keeping on top of things with the news and are there well into the evening filming. Not sure if they are live or not as 11pm seems to be later than the other networks do. If anyone did happen to record though, I’m sure I heard a Woohoo celebration as the music closer happened after they’d said goodnight and see you tomorrow.

1 Like

Given TAS Police reported this mid afternoon

I’d hardly call it breaking.

2 Likes

Ah ok, I’d only seen it not long before. Hadn’t seen that release. As you were.

1 Like

Updates from yesterday, including super error on first one:

8 Likes

Hypothetical, but I’m trying to understand the JV ownerships.

Let’s say SCA sells TNT to Seven (forget whether they would IRL or not). What happens to the ownership of TDT? I used to presume the 50% ownership is passed along but some have indicated this isn’t the case. Is anybody able to elaborate?

1 Like

try s38b of https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2018C00060

I would have thought that the ownership of a JV would have been completely independent but then there is this part

1. As soon as practicable after receiving an application under subsection (2), the ACMA must allocate an additional commercial television broadcasting licence to the joint‑venture company for the licence area, so long as the ACMA is satisfied that the joint‑venture company is jointly owned by the existing licensees.
1 Like

I believe that section only applies for the issuing of the licence, and once it s issued (is. now) the licences are completely separate and they can do as they please with it.

TDT normally relays news and other shows from GTV to Tasmania. So on Victorian state election night (Saturday November 24), will TDT switch to TCN signal from Sydney instead?

5 Likes

Will there be actual rolling coverage or just news updates?

If there’s full coverage then I reckon they’d switch to something else otherwise if it’s just updates there will likely be some come through but others will be replaced like how the news updates are mostly replaced now.

2 Likes

There will be full coverage on GTV from 5pm to around 10.30pm, with 30 minute break for Nine News from 6pm.

4 Likes

Actually, having a look at the advance guide for TDT, looks like it will be the Vic coverage. They probably won’t switch.

http://scmedia.com.au/content/eguide.aspx?ch=EPG.TDT.Nine:NINE%20-%20Hobart&dd=2018-11-24

I didn’t realise there was still so much coverage for the state elections on the commercial channels. In Tas now we just get updates and ABC coverage.

2 Likes

That’s the impression a number of other users have given in the past. Is there anything in the act that specifies this?

1 Like

Is there a precedent (has this situation happened elsewhere since the act was written)?

Interesting question… if I recall correctly there are 3 of these supplementary licenses in existence; TDT, DDT and MDT; Tasmania, Darwin and Mildura respectively.

In all three cases I don’t believe there’s been any move to separate.

So no, it looks like there’s no precedent as yet.

1 Like

plus CDT and WDT

2 Likes

Prime did put their half of the Mildura join venture up for sale a couple of years ago, but later withdrew it from sale. I’ll find the reference later when I have some time.

4 Likes

Ah yes of course… have there been moves to separate either of those licenses?

Not that I’m aware, though whether the size of the markets would support a third license holder is questionable

1 Like