Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

That’s my understanding of it too. Finding a buyer that thinks it’s sustainable is another thing.

1 Like

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/bsa1992214/

SECTION 38

The ACMA is in full control of the type of licence that it permits for the area when advertising for applications.

SECTION 38B

Essentially, if a market has 2 TV broadcasters, they can either apply for a joint-venture or one of them can apply to operate a second station only after such action is permitted by the ACMA.

SECTION 73A

If a licencee wants to dispose of their licence, it must be to someone who is “in a position to exercise control of that licence”, which as stated in 38A, is one of the existing broadcasters.

If anyone interprets the act differently, I am certainly open to listen. The link to the digital copy is provided above.

Section 73A has nothing to do with disposing the licence. The description says: Additional licence allocated under section 38B not to result in breach of control rules
This means that anyone holding a section 38B licence will no breach control rules if they also hold another licence.

If anything, part 1b the licence is to be so disregarded until that person first ceases to be in a position to exercise control of that licence may suggest that that execption is only applicable to the parties who were initially issued that licence, and the exeption will not continue if it is transfered to someone else.

I also interprect in a position to exercise control of that licence to be an owner or director of the owner of the licence, not simply anyone eligible to own the licence. This is consistent with other ownership laws.

Regardless, for your interpretation, Section 38A is not relevant. It covers the allocation of a second licence in areas that have one one licence - so it only relevant to the 2nd (not 3rd, that’s section 38B) licences issued for the 2 SA licence areas and Griffith.

5 Likes

Indeed. WIN would more than likely fall further behind if that were to occur (I would love to see this even just to see WIN’s reaction! :smile:).

Seriously though, If I had to choose between WIN or TDT at 6pm for News I know for certain I’d pick TDT every day of the week. Yes, large chunks of the content on Nine News Melbourne is completely irrelevant to the state, but WIN News is just plain awful viewing IMO.

I haven’t watched WIN’s 6pm offering for months now, but from what I’ve seen lately they constantly fill and pad out the half-hour bulletins with fluff pieces (some of which at best should feature before sport or at the end of bulletin not in the first 5 minutes trust me!). Presumably this is because they find it really difficult to find content to adequately fill it properly. This is probably another reason why they’ve never let Ten’s national weekend bulletins go to air in the state as it’d be up to them to yet again fill weekends locally (which would be near impossible to achieve).

2 Likes

In 2007/08 the then Macquarie Media was instructed by ACMA to sell their stake in the Darwin and Tasmania joint venture licences due to a change in the ownership of Macquarie (ACMA reckoned the change put MM in breach of the one licence to a area rule), they took ACMA to court and won so they didn’t have to sell. If the law was as you claimed, ACMA wouldn’t have instructed MM to sell.

See the first four ACMA documents here:
https://goo.gl/XMXiL2

4 Likes

And I finally got it! Although I’m not sure if the YouTube upload has worked correctly as the audio seems stuffed on there but my source is fine. I’ll take another look at that later.

Here’s a quick mash up of a Local News Headlines with old mate Chester, an ACA promo which is apparently Melbourne’s Number 1 (and all Tasmanians care about what our friends over the puddle are watching), the forementioned TDT Sales promo and also a sponsored event for TDT9 which I’m sure there’s a cap around somewhere from the same event was the only time the new TDT logo appeared on screen after the switch from Ten before going to the Nine logo.

Let me know how the sound is or if there’s an issue.

7 Likes

Weird to see a quick shot of Vanessa O’Hanlon in that TDT promo?

2 Likes

Hadn’t even noticed that!

1 Like

9life returning to Tasmania. Channel 54 now active, suggests it coming soon.

15 Likes

Great to see! SCA9 might even be lucky enough to get Your Money when that launches, if they are now (soon) able to handle 9life!

Indeed I just noticed the placeholder screen also. I suspect advertising dollars must be stable for them and have decided it makes commercial sense.

Personally, I wonder if the longawaited launch (well, return to the market after four months of 9Life via WIN in 2016 but it’s a new channel for TDT! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) of 9Life via TDT might be an affiliation contractual obligation from Nine? Because I can imagine WIN or Southern Cross SCA Seven (I’m sure Tasmanian viewers are still waiting for 7Flix via SCA) being quite hesitant to broadcast additional services for the supplimentary service.

Personally I somehow doubt that “Your Money” will be shown via SCA Nine or TDT Nine due to the presence of Sky News on WIN (the situation in Northern NSW could be extremely interesting though), but we’ll just have to wait and see what actually happens.

I hope it means the absolutely pointless reairing of Today on a 5 hour delay on 9Go disappears too. Close to the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. And TV Networks do sometimes do dumb things.

3 Likes

A Tasmanian launch of 7flix and 9Life may be intrinsically linked, doesn’t SCA carry the signals for TDT while WIN manage sales? If so, lucky for Tasmania. Both would likely be broadcast in MPEG-4 so the infrastructure is already there from the launch of 9HD.

1 Like

I presume that will happen, since the main reason for the delayed airings of Today has/had something to do with meeting the Non-Primary Channel Transmission Quota for Australian content: 1400 hours is the minimum required each year.

You might remember the news story a few months back about 12 regional/remote TV stations (all Nine-affiliated) failing to meet those requirements in 2017 and TDT was one of them.

All of the most recent multichannels from the regional networks are in MPEG4, so I’d imagine that will be the case for 9Life via TDT and if/when it ever becomes a thing, 7Flix via SCA.

However the “Your Money” channel will most likely be in MPEG2 via the Nine Network multiplex in metro/network O&O markets, with this service expected to take over the space currently occupied by Extra.

1 Like

I’ve always suspected the networks being reluctant adding services to any of their JV’s for fear of taking audiences away from their main channels. I guess if we see 7flix launch around the same time in Tas then it proves it.

1 Like

Just watching tonight’s recording of The Block and there was a promo for it, starts September 30th on Channel 54.

8 Likes

Yeah I should have mentioned this is MPEG4.

1 Like

Did you ever happen to find this clip?

I can vaguely remember checking the Tasmanian TV guide back in the day when Tas had early DST. But would be interested to see any promos, or even full guides if anyone has them?

Would be interesting to see how the affiliates managed being 1 hour ahead of the networks

I’ve got a copy of that promo if you want me to upload it?

1 Like