Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

All good. I’ll probably see it at some stage anyway.

This used to be the rather simple break-bumper (for want of a better term) that TDT would run during the 3 week period of early Tasmanian DST to advise viewers of the changes (they also inserted a little clock graphic into actual Ten promos which served as an easier way so they avoided having to edit out all the start times on the promos). I’ll try and get a clip of it soon.

7 Likes

I think there was one year where the promos were updated with the correct times on the actual slides, not voice overs. Certainly would have only been 1 year though. Some years they didn’t air anything at all and just had the wrong promos.

3 Likes

Great to watch Nine in Tasmania because it’s just like watching Nine in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra - it doesn’t have a hokey feel to it like WIN does. Haven’t noticed any obvious timing issues with the playout.

5 Likes

[quote=“littlegezzybear, post:44, topic:1725, full:true”]Haven’t noticed any obvious timing issues with the playout.[/quote]They have ironed out the various timing errors it seems. I haven’t noticed anything major for a number of weeks now. Good to see IMO.

1 Like

Yeah, SC Nine on the mainland has been great in QLD lately with timings too. Even the HD watermark addition has been appearing at the exact right time as the PRG fades and everything, it’s improved dramatically from earlier

2 Likes

It’s gotten better in Canberra but I’m still seeing quite often snips from Sydney coming through then being cut off.
Perhaps Qld timing is benefiting from being on a 1 h delay much of the time (apart from the cricket, news of course)?

1 Like

We do still get a very brief (like 1-2 frames max) snippet of Brisbane ads at the start of ad breaks, but they’re so brief, if you’re not paying careful attention or watching the feed back in slow-mo, you can’t even notice them.

1 Like

Not sure how long they’ve been running for but tonight I saw an ad for advertising on TDT9. They talked about the power of the Nine network but still always referred to themselves as TDT. The end card was a phone number for their Hobart office and tdtv.com.au website.

I don’t recall them having this before and I don’t remember one for when they were TDT10 either. Will try and get a cap of it sometime.

7 Likes

According to RegionalTAM ratings for the week of 9-15 July, TDT managed to come 2nd in both main channel & network shares, beating both ABC & WIN.

6 Likes

Nothing new unfortunately and goes without saying, but WIN are completely f***ked in the Tasmanian market. No one has any interest whatsoever in watching anything they have to offer these days - not even their local News! The once stronger rating programs (like Ten News and some of the realities) have completely fallen out of favour since the switch from TDT to WIN.

I wonder, is the WIN brand that much of a turnoff to the general public (everyone I know refuses to watch them)? Does that permanent gigantic blue map logo make people not bother tuning into them and force the viewers to find “other means” instead to access Ten’s content? I personally think it does. WIN were never that strong before (though they were usually well ahead of TDT with Nine content once upon time) but they must be regretting the change of affiliation surely?

5 Likes

Nine didn’t force the affiliation change in Tas and WA, WIN did so they only have themselves to blame.

1 Like

I generally wouldn’t have thought so, but my own personal observations say otherwise. Family of mine who normally don’t care whatsoever about presentation, etc. comment on how ugly it is when flicking past the WIN channels, and don’t watch anything on them anymore.
Other people I know still have an old plasma TV and avoid the WIN channels at all costs after an experience with minor burn-in of the logo during the early stages of blue mappy.

At my house any Ten programming we want to watch is viewed through TenPlay.

The ugly logos have done nothing but damage WINs already dwindling reputation in my opinion.

7 Likes

Of course Bruce/WIN only have themselves to blame. They alone annoyed the f**k out of Nine at the end of the day over constant whinging. Perhaps they might be regretting that now as the situation has gotten worse for them? Viewers have fled them in droves.

Right now they would probably have better luck just airing reruns of the Crawfords catalogue 24/7 and would probably almost rate as well! :yum::wink:

5 Likes

Agree. I have very little interest in most of Ten’s content nowadays but what I do want to watch I just catchup on TenPlay at a later date.

I could somewhat put up with the shitty PQ delivered by WIN but the implementation of blue map and the purple and green blocks on the multichannels was the final straw for me personally.

5 Likes

WIN Tasmania probably should be thankful that there’s no such thing as “Nine News Tasmania” at the moment or (more likely than not) anytime in the foreseeable future.

In any case, one wonders what the ratings are currently like between WIN News Tasmania and Nine News Melbourne on TDT.

4 Likes

Probably not until Nine buys the TDT licence … sometime … eventually.

4 Likes

Nine will never buy the TDT licence. TDT is licenced to be a joint-venture between TNT (SC7) and TVT (WIN) as ACMA legislated that Tasmania (and WA, Central, Darwin, Mildura) can support no more than two TV broadcasters.

If the media reform passes, we can really only expect change in RQLD, NNSW, SNSW and RVIC where the population warrants network purchase. Other markets will more than likely remain operated by affiliates.

1 Like

Since the Big Bash I haven’t watched much WIN at all and the marks on all the channels is definitely a huge turnoff, far too distracting.

3 Likes

Can you confirm that is correct? I recall ACMA (ABA back then) granted the joint-venture licenses to both broadcasters but it is a free market and each broadcaster can sell all or part of their stake at any time. Therefore there is nothing stopping both WIN and SCA agreeing to sell both their stakes to Nine.

4 Likes