Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

Indeed, that was the point of these supplementary licenses in the first place wasn’t it?

Of course markets can change in size, demographics and economic viability over the years.

I guess the key question is does the act provide for a change in status and/or license conditions and has anyone initiated such a move?

3 Likes

This was extensively discussed on Mediaspy at the time. Ownership of the Darwin, Tasmania and Mildura licences has already changed. What is detailed in this MMG press release was reversed after ACMA decided against appealing the Federal Court decision in favour of MMG.

5 Likes

There licences are realistally very similar to the s39 FM licences issued in the 90s. They were issued for the same reason to expand the offering in markets not large enough for competition, were restricted to existing licensees and have since been allow to be split apart from their sister stations and sold to competitors.

2 Likes

Why anyone would want to buy them is unclear. Aren’t they losing money?

1 Like

Mildura seems to have never changed, it was only in talks to sell Prime’s share to MMG which were later cancelled.

So if I’m understanding this correctly, the JV ownership is independent from the primary station ownerships and either can be sold off separately to the other if needed.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Watermarks:

You call name tv channel TDT9 this name of television stations CHANNEL NINE in Hobart and round Tasmania.

3 Likes

What are you trying to say? My eyes hurt reading that

9 Likes

What?

3 Likes

If you’re wondering why I referred to it as TDT9, it’s more because across the forums here TDT was TDT10 for so long that when it’s mentioned in threads and different eras I specify whether I’m talking about the 9 or the 10 version of TDT. Not in everyday life, only here where some people get quite pedantic about specifics and in some threads it can get confusing if discussing the olden days where it was TDT where it was quite a mix of whether people called it TDT or 10.

In the Watermarks thread where that post was, it was also to show that it was occurring on a non-Nine O&O station and from an SCA channel broadcast.

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from [Nine (Tasmanian Digital Television)]:tv:(Nine (Tasmanian Digital Television)):

This is Channel 9 not TDT name anymore now I have hear from some people in Hobart some Told me about old tv channel on TDT10 station change over to channel nine back in 2016.:tv:

2 Likes

6 Likes

The metro stations don’t go by their callsigns anymore either but some users choose to write “ATV” instead of “Channel 10 Melbourne”, for example. Nine Tasmania’s callsign is still TDT regardless of on-air branding, there’s nothing wrong with using callsigns.

Also, proofreading your posts before hitting the Reply button might be a good idea in future.

5 Likes

Very true @Nick!

5 Likes

(blows dust off) *cough * *sneeze *

I’m visiting Tassie over Christmas, (I’m staying in Bicheno, Launceston, Devonport and Zeehan) and was looking up TV guides, and I’ve been confused. There is two Channel 5’s (TDT and SC9), and I was wondering what the difference is.
Is it that they both broadcast, and you get whichever is stronger?

Also, which areas receive Imparja?

1 Like

They’re the same thing. TDT is the licence co-owned by WIN and SCA. SCA manage playout, so presentation is most likely the same as the other SCA9 channels.

Some of those online TV guides are less than reliable in the listing of channels they show. I find the Freeview Guide to be the most accurate.

Imparja’s broadcast area in Tasmania is essentially everywhere not covered by the Tasmania TV1 licence area as show here: https://channelfinder.acma.gov.au/licplan/defmaps/documents/maps/la_306.pdf

I don’t think Imparja have any terrestrial services in Tasmania, only satellite.

3 Likes

Ok, so why is there both TDT and SC9?

So you can’t get get Imparja in Tasmania on FTA?

There is no Southern Cross Nine in Tasmania.

Online guides can be mistaken or misleading.

AFAIK, in Tasmania TDT (Nine) is Channel 5, WIN/Ten is 8 and Seven/SCA is 6.

I’m not aware of any terrestrial broadcast sites for Imparja in Tasmania

3 Likes

you are right there is no sca9 in Tasmania . 9 is tdt

1 Like

I picked up Imparja in Port Arthur as the cabin I was in was connected to VAST if that’s any help.

Also that Tasmania TV1 isn’t entirely accurate. Definitely picked up Seven, WIN and TDT free to air in Strahan.

2 Likes

Yeah, I heard that VAST was there, but I won’t have access to it (sadly).