Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

The new TDT logos have appeared on the Foxtel iq3. This is good considering there was never a logo before.
Looks like they have finally decided on a brand anyway. I do find it odd though as it is called Nine Tas on the tv name. Surely you would keep the channel name as TDT if you wanted the brand to live on?

6 Likes

Itā€™s such a weird decision. Could it be because Southern Cross and WIN share the same market? It stops Southern Cross from having 2 of their brands (SCTV and Nine) in one market?

2 Likes

Just one more way to WIN to continue blocking the Nine logo. This is really the ultimate cover-up after years of them on WIN.

3 Likes

On the Freeview website guides they have TDT for Tasmania, but have the Nine logo for the WIN-owned Griffith and SA, and for the WIN/Prime JVs in Mildura and WA.

2 Likes

TDT takes the Melbourne feed of Nine, right? Does TDT produce its own promos, or do they use Nineā€™s promos complete with ā€œā€¦on Nineā€ voiceover?

1 Like

The latter, Iā€™ve not seen that TDT logo on air at all and all branding is Nine and ā€œā€¦on Nineā€ and we get Nine News Melbourne. The EPG Channel Name is also ā€œNine Tasā€ so thereā€™s no referencing to TDT anywhere other than this pointless logo.

2 Likes

Just checked and it looks like the TDT website is back up, with the TDT logo. Not sure when it went back up but for a while there it was simply redirecting to SCA.

http://www.tdtv.com.au/

2 Likes

TDT logo has got Bruce written all over it!

8 Likes

Least put some dots next to the logo!

4 Likes

[quote=ā€œAlista, post:1418, topic:1198, full:trueā€]
The new TDT logos have appeared on the Foxtel iq3. This is good considering there was never a logo before.
Looks like they have finally decided on a brand anyway. I do find it odd though as it is called Nine Tas on the tv name. Surely you would keep the channel name as TDT if you wanted the brand to live on?[/quote]Or perhaps TDT9 or something. I personally think the ā€œTDTā€ name shouldā€™ve been dropped altogether. Fair enough, when it first launched use it, but itā€™s a silly and pointless brand in the scheme of things now.

[quote=ā€œWAtvVideos, post:1419, topic:1198, full:trueā€]
Itā€™s such a weird decision. Could it be because Southern Cross and WIN share the same market? It stops Southern Cross from having 2 of their brands (SCTV and Nine) in one market?[/quote]This makes the most sense really. That or they are following orders from WIN to not use the 9 branding (except for on-air obviously which might be difficult to block for SCAā€¦ at least for now!! :grin:).

[quote=ā€œADstv, post:1429, topic:1198, full:trueā€]

Least put some dots next to the logo!
[/quote]I can see this happeningā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote=ā€œRyan, post:1424, topic:1198, full:trueā€]
TDT takes the Melbourne feed of Nine, right? Does TDT produce its own promos, or do they use Nineā€™s promos complete with ā€œā€¦on Nineā€ voiceover?
[/quote]Yep. No, like other regions they use straight Nine promos. All SCA are currently doing are inserting the local ads. Iā€™m eagerly awaiting for the TDT branding to start creeping in more and more. :roll_eyes::yum:

3 Likes

Not that I want this to happen personally, but I wonder how long it will be until WIN pressures SCA into using TDT branding (eg, promos with the logo and an ā€œā€¦on TDTā€ VO endtag) for all elements of the channel? Although just as long as thereā€™s no Nine watermark coverups and a simulcast of the main channel in HD (something which some other regional markets donā€™t have the luxury of seeing!) is still running, I probably wouldnā€™t bother complaining.

Although personally, I agree that itā€™s ridiculous. I also wonder why this sort of thing appears to only be happening with TDT and not any of the other joint venture stations that WIN is involved with.

2 Likes

Probably because TDT is the only joint venture that WIN have with SCA, and also the only joint venture that they donā€™t directly manage.

Maybe theyā€™re less fussed about the others because Prime didnā€™t ā€œstealā€ their deal with Nine.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Realistically, given that all on air presentation is branded as NINE, and the channel is named ā€œNINEā€ on the TV, would anyone at all in Tasmania (apart from those on here) even know that Nine and TDT are the same channel.

Wouldnā€™t most people see these ads with a massive TDT and wonder ā€œwhat the hell does TDT stand for?ā€

6 Likes

Yes although from what I understand most TV listings identify ā€œTDTā€ rather than ā€œNineā€ so that might help with some brand recognition. But for a visual medium to have such a poor/ambiguous branding itā€™s pretty poor. Just be ā€œNineā€ and be done with it.

7 Likes

One could be forgiven for thinking that TDT means ā€œTasmanian Daylight Timeā€.

2 Likes

If youā€™re so worried about the 9 / TDT brand surely the first place you would want to remove the 9 brand / have your own TDT brand is on air bugs, promos and iDs

• that is BY FAR the most prominent / exposure of any tv station brand

Yet thatā€™s the one they leave as Nine

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œTelevisionAU, post:15, topic:1725, full:trueā€]

Yes although from what I understand most TV listings identify ā€œTDTā€ rather than ā€œNineā€ so that might help with some brand recognition. But for a visual medium to have such a poor/ambiguous branding itā€™s pretty poor. Just be ā€œNineā€ and be done with it.
[/quote]Correct. From what Iā€™ve seen most of the local listings are now ā€œTDTā€ instead of ā€œNineā€. I was secretly hoping the ā€œTDTā€ branding would disappear once the switch took place. But alas, not the case. :worried:

[quote=ā€œRadiohead, post:16, topic:1725, full:trueā€]
One could be forgiven for thinking that TDT means ā€œTasmanian Daylight Timeā€.
[/quote]Not locally I wouldnā€™t have thought. :grin:

[quote=ā€œwebguy, post:12, topic:1725, full:trueā€]

Probably because TDT is the only joint venture that WIN have with SCA, and also the only joint venture that they donā€™t directly manage.

Maybe theyā€™re less fussed about the others because Prime didnā€™t ā€œstealā€ their deal with Nine.
[/quote]Yeah, ā€œstealā€. Only because they pissed Nine off so much and threatened them. WIN have no-one to blame but themselves here.

[quote=ā€œKICK-IT, post:17, topic:1725, full:trueā€]
If youā€™re so worried about the 9 / TDT brand surely the first place you would want to remove the 9 brand / have your own TDT brand is on air bugs, promos and iDs

• that is BY FAR the most prominent / exposure of any tv station brand

Yet thatā€™s the one they leave as Nine
[/quote]I wouldnā€™t be at all shocked if the TDT branding didnā€™t become more prominent on-air at some stage. WIN would be hating the fact the complete Nine branding is coming through on TDT. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Imagine SCA having to resort to blocking all the Nine branding just because WIN donā€™t like it. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

According to the RegionalTAM ratings for the week of 21-27 August, TDT (Nine Tasmania) outrates WIN, both in main channel & network shares, for the first time since the affiliation swap.

2 Likes

Uh-oh! :yum:

Youā€™d hope for WINā€™s sake this doesnā€™t start becoming a regular trend. Will be interesting to see if their shares start to pick up again once Georgia Loveā€™s ā€˜The Bacheloretteā€™ begins in a couple of weeks time. :grin:

Perhaps people donā€™t hate Nine content as much now on TDT unlike when it was on WIN. :laughing:

1 Like