Nine (Southern Cross)

Thought we agreed not to tell @Zacgb? :yum:

1 Like

Standby…

1 Like

Awww lol. The suspense is killing us

Any chance I could Sitby? My legs are tired from all this waiting. Just be done with it already.

11 Likes

Hang on. This is news to me… l see I’m out of the loop on this. That’s unacceptable. :yum::expressionless:

[quote]Regional broadcaster Southern Cross Austereo will launch a Canberra edition of Nine News in February as it rolls out 15 local news bulletins to its TV markets in southern NSW, country Victoria and regional Queensland.

Produced by Nine as part of its $500 million affiliation agreement with Southern Cross Austereo, the hour-long regional bulletins will air Monday to Friday and blend local news, sport and weather reports with national and international news and sport from Nine’s existing Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane bulletins.

The regional editions will be rolled out progressively from February, beginning in Canberra and then WIN’s hometown market of Wollongong.

The markets to follow include Wagga Wagga and the central west of NSW (taking in Orange, Bathurst and Dubbo), Ballarat, Bendigo, Albury/Shepparton and Gippsland in Victoria as well as Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba and Sunshine Coast in Queensland.

The Canberra bulletin of Nine News will mix local news, sport and weather with national and international news and sport from Nine’s Sydney bulletin, which is anchored by Peter Overton.

More:

[/quote]

8 Likes

No mention of Tasmania receiving a local bulletin of its own in the article. Not at all surprised considering the arrangement in the state.

Fantastic to hear of local bulletins to be launched into those regions from early next year.

Sounding like an NBN style bulletin. I wonder if that means regional inserts by the main anchor, or a regional anchor popping on for local segments?

Will be very interesting how they present it, and make it feel local - especially if half the bulletin is presented with a live shot of a different city.

3 Likes

Wow! We’re going to have a 7 produced local news bulletin, up against a 9 produced local news bulletin, up against WIN…
WIN don’t stand a chance…

Good to see that they’re including Mackay.
Ever since WIN axed their news down there, it’s been annoying whenever I visit the area to have no choice but Rob Brough for local news.

I don’t know much about the studios, so forgive me for the question. But do each of these cities have enough studio space for the regional bulletin to go to air live at the same time as the metro.
If not, maybe that is planned in the upcoming set relaunches?

If they’re going to go down the NBN style bulletin path, I doubt they’d use live shots.

1 Like

The article indicates there will be inserts into the current Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane bulletins, to be read by someone other than the main capital city news reader, and will be delivered from the Nine studios in those three capitals.

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:1677, topic:1198, full:true”]Wow! We’re going to have a 7 produced local news bulletin, up against a 9 produced local news bulletin, up against WIN…
WIN don’t stand a chance…[/quote]To put it mildly, WIN are going to be totally screwed next year. Cue more bulletins getting the axe throughout next year then. :wink: :yum:

3 Likes

Local News presenters:

1 Like

So that’s where Nessie’s off to. What a pleasant surprise for someone to land such a big job after years of hardwork early in the morning at the ABC.

4 Likes

With SCAs terrible record with timing issues, etc. it’s going to be interesting to see how well they handle playing out different news segments in different markets.

On another note, with the enormous opportunity for cross-promotion across SCAs popular radio network, I can really see this being a big competitor to Regional QLD’s Seven News.

I’m also looking forward to the potential for more major regional stories being covered on Today, and the other national bulletins. They’ll certainly have news gathering staff in many more markets than 7 does currently.

4 Likes

Good to see Jo Hall back on newsreading duties - and great to hear some regional investment in news!

7 Likes

Do we know when all the jobs will be advertised?

It does have all the hallmarks of the 10 investment in news in 2010. I hope it turns out differently though this time.

3 Likes

Those wondering about different backdrops etc have either read too much into it or not thought enough. It’s Nine looking after this, not SCA, so basic things like consistency won’t be a worry.

No. The affiliation deal is funding this along with Nine seeing the benefit in revenue improving.

With the affiliation deal limited to the three aggregated markets, it’s a shame SA is left behind. A NWS journo who once worked for GTS could gain reading experience with the GTS bulletin brought back to within SA.

1 Like

SA isn’t really being left behind though? Unless you’re referring to the fact that the actual bulletin is broadcast from Canberra…

I guess SCA could move their local news to the Nine channels but while the ‘main’ station is under a Seven affiliation that won’t happen

Yes, can’t you read my mind.

In a one horse town… Define ‘main’.

In these areas where you are your own competitor, the main station can be whatever you want it to be. It doesn’t have to be the incumbent.

1 Like