Nine Radio (Talk)

Don’t read too much into the 2GB ratings success. Yes, they would’ve still been number one, but let’s not forget how they became even more successful over recent years (I am referring to the purchase & “kill-off” of 2UE as a talk radio competitor).

Thankfully (even though they have the flaws), there is still 2SM as a commercial AM alternative to 2GB.

I much prefer 2SM’s Brent Bultitude on the weekends over Luke Grant at 2GB.

1 Like

Me too but Brent must be on holidays at the moment. Also, silly me, I prefer Richard King for breakfast rather than put up with Ben Fordham’s nauseating commercials and that damn pillow which must cost all of $5 to make.

3 Likes

I enjoyed Ben on Drive but really struggled to warm to him at Breakfast. It just feels too much like heavily scripted TV formatics than radio, and it leaves me wondering how much of what he’s reading out he actually believes, especially as it sounds much more like him reading out the show than it did on Drive.

Thankfully for me, 2CC put Stephen Cenatiempo on breakfast, and his show is really good.

5 Likes

You’re a brave man admitting to this on here.

2 Likes

Same again today on 2GB. The great John Stanley covering afternoons now and backing up again on nights later. Great commitment and stamina JS !

2 Likes

While it shows commitment and is commendable, doesn’t it also reflect the unfortunate shallow pool of talent available to fill in?

Ideally you don’t want and listeners don’t want the same presenter doing three hours in the afternoon and another four at night… I would have thought…

3 Likes

Too much in my opinion, I don’t know why they bother with him.

1 Like

Unfortunately he’s show has rated highest in the timeslot for quite a few years.

A little under 1% so I guess you could call it an improvement. I still think he was tghe wrong choice.

1 Like

4BC talk topic this morning - favourite holiday destinations.

Get these clowns off the air now and put in a real news breakfast show!

Just pathetic!

5 Likes
3 Likes

thats a weekend phone in topic. not a breakfast show on a “serious news station” as they try to portray themselves

3 Likes

Why not though? 3AW down here would run with that in Breakfast and even other time slots.

2 Likes

breakfast show on a station like 4BC should be Traffic, News, Sports and some banter. when I get into my car in the morning I want to know what’s happened overnight whilst asleep, what’s the traffic doing (ie will it make me late for work) and did my team win last night.

when your trying to position a station as a serious news station like 4BC are, your favorite holiday destination doesn’t fit.

4 Likes

Glad 3AW isn’t like that then. That’s what ABC News Radio is for.

1 Like

Wow. How to throw your Canberra affiliate 2CC under the bus. 2CC are heavily promoting “Nine Radio’s coverage of the Olympics on 2CC” only for Nine to turn around and allow ABC Canberra to air the games because “we don’t broadcast there”.

4 Likes

Interesting- that would make Canberra the only market with ‘official’ coverage from both Nine and ABC I would imagine.

I did notice the article fails to mention the rest of the Local Radio network but I am guessing that’s an oversight.

3 Likes

Ummmm 3AW often fills its slots with that these days (unfortunately).

1 Like

It’s nice to read that Canberrans can hear 2GB’s Olympics broadcast on 2CC. I thought Nine Radio’s coverage is only limited to the stations it owns in the four cities.

Is the 2CC relay deal a one-off?

2 Likes

Nine has offered commercial stations to relay their coverage (they may of said for free but I can’t remember rn), but presumably not many took up on their offer, and were probably needed more listeners to justify the extensive coverage.

3 Likes