Nine Radio (Talk)

Music on a news talk station ? How does that work ?

1 Like

They’ll play music and light chat in the mornings. Harder news at drive.

1 Like

Surely there’d be a clause blocking 4BH/2UE/Magic from switching to News Talk.

So why can the landlord do the reverse and tackle their tenant at 4BH head on with the same Classic Hits format at breakfast?

Heck, if this is the way Nine Radio want to play, then ACE needs to switch 2UE back to talkback ASAP.

3 Likes

Interesting to see if they can thrive with the talk format around them. Perhaps they might even beat ARN’s 97.3 at breakfast :smile:

1 Like

I’m assuming Nine would have had to discuss/clear this with ACE first but I’d be surprised if ACE are happy with this news. Makes their appointment of BBQ Bob to breakfast on 4BH pale into insignificance in comparison.

2 Likes

4KQ breakfast team to go to 4BC… wow… never saw that coming

5 Likes

Does this mean if Kyle ever shifts to 2GB that he’ll take the CHR format with him?

I don’t think this’ll work.

There’s been other music DJs that have successfully moved from music to talk.

Garth Russell in Newcastle is one that comes to mind (from NEW FM to 1233 ABC Newcastle).

But a whole team is a different matter of course.

A whole team moving to talk may work better, easier to talk in a group than solo

Grubby and Dee Dee moved from Gold104 to 3Aw but not in the same role.

7 Likes

This is an example of why ARN made a mistake selling 4KQ. The talent that they have lost from the network is appearing on their rivals, thus strengthening the competition against 97.3, the only station they have left in the Brisbane market survey.

6 Likes

yes, most of their audience will move to 4BH for music and 4BC for breakfast. Very few will move to 97.3

5 Likes

Why didn’t Andrew do the right thing and acknowledge the elephant in the room (ie; 4BC is owned by Nine)?

Lets be honest - Nine wouldn’t have spent 90 seconds doing a promo pretending to be a report if Laurel, Gary and Mark were moving to a non-Nine Radio station.

2 Likes

Could we see Scott Emerson do Nights?

1 Like

I wonder if the Rumour File will find its way to 4BC Breakfast.

1 Like

I wonder how many people will listen to SENQ breakfast compared to 4bc breakfast with Laurel, Gary and Mark and 4bh breakfast with BBQ Bob

Was he back at NEW then? Was also at NX in a duo.

yep, Garth & Steve (The Steve being Steve Graham who’s still on 2KO - Triple M Newcastle)

2 Likes

I can’t believe Nine hired Brent James to program 3hrs per day of music on 4BC.

Surely there’s more he’ll be doing?

2 Likes

But 4BC is Talk 24/7.