Nine Publishing

I assume it has something do with the Federal Budget? It will be seen as embarrassment if Canberra’s local paper does not have its own reporters covering the Budget.
Also Australian Financial Review journalists are not going on strike, so some stories may pop up on The Age and SMH in the next few days.

1 Like

The situation even made the New York Times.

Exactly. This is how the cesspool, Buzzfeed has been so successful and actually led the way for this annoying way of writing. Why is it so hard to try and get some decent journalism in this country without the ‘12 ways you know you’re Australian’ crap that org passes off as good journalism.

Buzzfeed and other orgs changed it up so much people are now used to it and are killing off

Good Journalism is dying because of this new way of writing, and it’s sad to see.

2 Likes

Number 11 will surprise you

1 Like

Embarrassing mistake on the front page.

2 Likes

Very enbarrassing.

2 Likes

I think the headline is not embarrassing but spot on. It refers to excerpts of a speech by Reserve Bank governor Phillip Lowe yesterday:

Given the high levels of debt and housing prices, relative to incomes, it is likely that some households respond to a future shock to income or housing prices by deciding that they have borrowed too much…
This could prompt a sharp contraction in their spending, as they try to get their balance sheets back into better shape. An otherwise manageable downturn could be turned into something more serious. So the financial stability question is: to what extent does the higher level of household debt make us less resilient to future shocks?

But someone forgot spell check - don’t worry, took me a few looks too, easy error.

3 Likes

Does he have a lisp? I don’t think he does.

Among the proposed media reform package announced by the Federal Government this morning is the abolition of two-out-of-three rule that prevents a company controlling more than two of three radio, television and newspapers in an area. Does it mean Fairfax is likely to be acquired by another company like Nine Entertainment?

Now that would be an interesting move. Bringing Nine.com.au and all its satellite sites together with the SMH, Age and Brisbane Times online would potentially save a lot of money and probably create a news organisation bigger than News Corp. The physical newspapers are a little more problematic but I can see the local papers getting a boost out of cooperating with Nine’s reporters and resources.

Nine has stated previously that they are not interested in buying newspapers, and why would they want to buy almost dead newspapers? The websites would be attractive, I think.

1 Like

The demise of fairfax is as sad as the demise of ten.

3 Likes

With changes expected in the media cross ownership rules in the Federal Budget, we might see a flurry of activity in takeovers and acquisitions.

If you take the Metros out (and Domain) - there isnt much left of any real value at Fairfax, makes the future of those parts of the business interesting

TPG Capital has a plan to break up Fairfax.

The Age and SMH staff returned to work this morning after a week-long strike, and voted no confidence in chief executive Greg Hywood.
Also, the AFR reports Fairfax Media shareholders are understood to be pushing for a new cash bid worth as much as $3.1 billion from TPG Capital and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan for the entire company, not just the metro papers.

1 Like

Those Canadian pension funds seem to only invest in solid assets. They must see there is a good return to be made if they are planning on buying into Fairfax.

[quote=“littlegezzybear, post:148, topic:525, full:true”]
Those Canadian pension funds seem to only invest in solid assets. They must see there is a good return to be made if they are planning on buying into Fairfax. [/quote]
Although, it could be because they plan to demerge the assets and sell them off separately which could be very bad news for newspapers.

1 Like

Matthew Drummond has been appointed editor of The Australian Financial Review Magazine. Drummond was previously a senior journalist covering business and finance at the AFR as a reporter and commentator. He has also been the editor of AFR Weekend and GQ magazine. More recently, Drummond has been working in audience development with the Sydney Opera House.