Nine Publishing

The Sun-Herald announced yesterday that Phil Gould had rejoined the paper as a columnist. He quit the paper early last year to write an exclusive column for Wide World of Sports website. I think Nine gaining ownership of The Sun-Herald after the company’s merger with Fairfax paved the way for Gould’s return as he can now use the column to promote the network’s NRL coverage on Sunday.

1 Like

The SMH and AFR will be moving into the former Seven building at Pyrmont by the end of the year, before moving to the new Nine offices at North Sydney late next year, The Australian is reporting.

2 Likes

So they’re moving from their costly folly where they moved into during one of the bungle filled reigns of a Fairfax CEO that led to its demise.

Two veteran Fairfax journalists died this week.

1 Like

Nine previously had a partnership with job search site Seek.

The Age is on the move from Media House to Channel 9. But 3AW stays…

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Maybe they ought to provide a better deal for teachers.

News has digital subscriptions for around $8 a month for teachers for both the Tele and Australian. I get the Australian this way, and I’ve been able to give students case studies and articles they can actually use. SMH has it so it is locked to a school’s local network (!!!) and the DRM is crappy.

Proof is here: http://schoolsubscriptions.com.au/
Read the FAQ!
You’re better off actually offering decently priced subscriptions to the teachers in the way News has. Maybe extend the deal offered at http://your.smh.com.au/student-offer/ to teachers!

Unless they can offer a better deal on both the SMH and Stan together (maybe in chuck the Newcastle Herald and Scone Advocate together too, if they’re going to hold onto those), I’m considering giving both the arse.

1 Like

A consortium led by former Domain boss Antony Catalano has bought Nine’s Australian regional papers, including The Canberra Times and Newcastle Herald, for $115 million in cash.

1 Like

I’m hoping they’ll start putting some money into those regional newspapers to make them more relevant to the communities they serve.

The Illawarra Mercury is a disgraceful hodge podge of a few local reports and classifieds with pages of the Sydney Morning Herald tacked into the middle these days. That newspaper more resembles a pamphlet now and it bugs me that my elderly relatives insist on buying it when it continues to shrink. Nine/Fairfax don’t even bother to change the font and format of SMH national and world news pages to match the style of the rest of the Mercury. It’s horribly disjointed.

5 Likes

Might have to. Presumably they’ll no longer have access to SMH/Age content.

Fairfax Nine Publishing may very well be happy licensing that content to the new firm… but at what price?

1 Like

Am sure it’s all part of the deal, the separation of businesses and ramifications beyond the sale provides income streams which are often useful for investment and tax purposes.

2 Likes

interesting speculation that there could be some form of affiliation with Prime but there doesn’t seem to be anything concrete:

There is speculation among media sources that Mr Catalano is planning to align closely with a regional television network.

Prime Media chief executive Ian Audsley said he had “spoken to a couple of the bidders” who were involved in the auction of the Nine regional titles but added he had been in conversations with “many people”. Thorney Investment Group has a small stake in Prime.

Media sources said any conversations about a future collaboration were “low level” though they acknowledged that the two businesses operated in similar markets.

3 Likes

That makes me nervous considering Prime has a history of cutting and running when times get tough.

2 Likes

No worries, Thorney invests in them, Prime does not invest.

The Nine ASX statement indicated that continued news sharing from the SMH and Age would be short term. However, the regional papers also source news from AAP which is majority owned by Nine and News, so if that continues Nine will still benefit.

5 Likes