Nine Publishing (formerly Fairfax)

fairfax
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f42cc6e7e20>

Good on you. I agree. Saturday Paper used as a sop for the whingers at the merged Fairfax.

Interesting that The Saturday Paper offers such a low subscription to retain customers yet is stinging new customers.

Good.

Personally, I hope the ACM titles will be purchased by someone who isn’t News Corp or Seven West Media.

In some areas of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane & Perth, as well as Southern WA, there is already both an ACM & News Corp local newspaper sharing the same circulation area.

Here are the ACM titles on the link below:

The Fairfax community newspapers in Sydney have long been relatively thin in comparison to the News Corp local papers. It’s the News real estate listings that helped fatten their papers despite the supposed prominence of Fairfax’s Domain. Admittedly I haven’t looked at the papers for a couple of years. But I do wonder if the ex-Fairfax community papers have any worth.

The Canberra, Newcastle and Wollongong papers might be attractive to someone.

An interesting revelation on tonight’s episode of Media Watch, in which Paul Barry revealed that according to an article by Alan Kohler on The Weekend Australian last July, the great success of Married At First Sight (or MAFS) caused Nine’s share price to lift by 50% “almost overnight”, essentially allowing them to take over Fairfax.

Source: Media Watch, 18th February 2019

Nine News political editor Chris Uhlmann begins his regular column in SMH and The Age today. His first article is on China’s rise as a regional power.