Nine Technical Issues -- March & April 2021

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 11.32.35 AM

Discussion of technical issues affecting Nine’s live broadcasting to be continued here.

7 Likes

5 Likes

6 Likes

We’ve all been calling for Richard Wilkins to be replaced, but Nine took it too far - they didn’t have to pull the entire program off air! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

17 Likes

It seems a lot bigger then just the Today show. Could impact news in other markets too.

5 Likes

Possible cyber attack according to Peter Ford.

2 Likes

Sounds like an air chain issue as Sports Sunday is out and Footy Show will run 10-12

also sports Sunday and Sunday footy show and Sunday footy

They’ve been plagued by technical difficulties since moving to Denison St. Latest is these problems may not be resolved today and will effect the entire network. It’ll be interesting to see if Nine can get bulletins out tonight. Is it possible to get a third party provider to put a bulletin out in some form? Do they go cap in hand to a competitor for use of facilities? Could we see Nine’s news being provided by Sky News or even an NZ broadcaster tonight?

Bet they’re wishing the antiquated technology at Willoughby was still available to them.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I can tell you that there have been plenty of incidents in the past fortnight across all programs coming from 9 Sydney, where they’ve come VERY close to going off-air or not making it in time.

4 Likes

If the issue is confined to Sydney, the 6pm news could be produced in Perth or even at a stretch Brisbane - fly a presenter up to QLD and start recording at 4.30pm local time.

Pretty big news if Weekend Today didn’t make it to air - even if not many of us actually watch the weekend version (going by recent tv ratings).

2 Likes

Me thinks that’s not an option due to the current outbreak.

1 Like

Presumably they’ve got emergency plans to call into action - after the last year I think most companies have taken such things more seriously.

In a few months such plans might involved WIN, but you’d think they’d be able to get something to air tonight, even if it’s a 5 minute national bulletin filmed on someones mobile.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is a problem if the presenter doesn’t go to a hot spot. But a QLD presenter could read the bulletin. They could also fly to Melbourne and record the bulletin early.

GTV can clearly present live programming. AFL Footy Show is airing now.

6 Likes

I think the issue is nationwide as most of their systems will go through Sydney & use the Sydney servers?

Seven has Disaster Recovery in Perth, I think Nine’s Disaster Recovery is Melbourne, but if it’s affecting nationwide critical infrastructure, doing something elsewhere might be an issue, theoretically DR should be totally different isolated systems, so it should work even if only partially.

I’m not sure how integrated NBN Newcastle is to Nine as of yet, it may be possible NBN Newcastle can do a News presentation for Nine at 6pm?

2 Likes

Yes have Peter Overton presenting out of NBN Newcastle tonight and that version airing on NBN. Entirely possible given the circumstances.

1 Like

GTV9 is currently broadcasting the AFL Footyshow out of its studios.

2 Likes

If these issues aren’t resolved by 6pm then I can see them airing a combined Sydney / Melbourne bulletin out of GTV (same situation which happened a few years ago on Seven News with Bec Maddern presenting a combined bulletin)

3 Likes