Nine News Local

Viability however is not simply decided by reach by itself. You also have to look at the other side - the advertising market. Is the market as big in these much larger and spread out areas compared to Adelaide?

By its very nature, metropolitan areas are more viable per person compared to regional.

1 Like

@Aurora The actual real dollar value of the advertising market of SNSW and VIC is just a little smaller than the ADL tv market. Also advertisers pay for C1000 - that is every 1000 people their ads reach. That is a universal measure across both metro and regional markets

1 Like

18:17 (9News Canberra) Vanessa doesn’t know how to pronounce “arboretum”; appearently she’s never come across the word before?
(As in a story about http://www.nationalarboretum.act.gov.au/)

She did a howler the other night, too. Can’t remember what the word was but it came just after the cross to “network headquarters” which starkly showed the superiority of the Sydney reader.

I’m impressed by how far south reporters are travelling to cover news in the Illawarra bulletin with reports from Batemans Bay and Bermagui in tonight’s bulletin. It’s rare to see WIN covering anything further south than Nowra.

4 Likes

Whoever writes the supers for 9News Sthn NSW still can’t grasp the concept that Queanbeyan is just outside but not part of Canberra (18:17) :disappointed:

2 Likes

Have anybody seen the opener and background for the nine news Gippsland bulletin which started on the march 27 yet?

2 Likes

So 9 News Canberra has decided not to have the Service Station attack in Queanbeyan as the top story tonight instead it’s the Syria attack and Donald Trump…

What story lead 9 News Sydney?

Edit: Finally got a report at 6:06pm.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s not good; the NBN News structure at work I guess, though given the terrorism unit being involved I think it could’ve led across all of Sthn NSW without issue.

2 Likes

Just for what it’s worth, Nine News Sydney ran the Queanbeyan Service Station Attack as the 2nd story after the Syria Attack/Donald Trump.

But from a Southern NSW/ACT perspective, the local story probably should’ve been first.

2 Likes

At least they didn’t “join network headquarters” again for the Syrian coverage.

7 Likes

Just caught a 9Newsbreak in Canberra and Syria was 1st.
Maybe the sequence is a result of the previously raised issue with the Sthn NSW bulletin(s) being produced in Sydney.

What does everyone think; would Syria have still led 9News Sydney if this (possibly ISIL terrorist-related) Queanbeyan crime spree, with police chase, had happened in the greater Sydney area?

Yeah, I agree. If a similar incident to that Queanbeyan crime spree happened in Sydney, our edition of Nine News (and infact, all Sydney-based news services) probably would’ve lead with that story followed by Syria at #2.

1 Like

I think so, yeah. While the Queanbeyan attacks were serious, the Syrian air strikes were of international significance launched in retaliation to a war crime. It led bulletins on pretty much all networks since the news broke this morning. The question I would ask is, what would NBN have led with if the attack had happened in Newcastle or Coffs Harbour rather than Queanbeyan?

1 Like

While I agree bombing Syria is a bigger story of global significance my thinking was local stories seem to (usually) get priority, but obviously it’ll depend on the specifics.

2 Likes

If that had happened in Newcastle, NBN would have led across Nth NSW without a doubt.
If in Coffs Harbour, that’s less likely.

NBN has since 1992 been guilty of airing Newcastle news items across Nth NSW that are of little relevance elsewhere almost every weeknight.

3 Likes

Here is the 9 news Gippsland bulletin. It’s the only glimpse I got so far. No sign of opener yet.

9 Likes

From what I saw the Syria story lead the Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide bulletins too. IMO, that story should have come later in the bulletin for the metro let alone the local editions.

A military strike against any country by the US has the potential to erupt into something much bigger and long lasting. Any action the US takes has the potential to drag Australia into a wider conflict and effect us all greatly. Surely Australians haven’t become that parochial that such world events aren’t considered a major story? This isn’t something that happens every day.

The Queanbeyan story would likely have led bulletins on the east coast on any other day. Service station robberies are all too common in this country. While the link to IS, the death and manhunt that resulted add importance to the story, as far as I’m concerned the Syria story was rightly placed at the top of the bulletin.

18 Likes

Rightly said Newsweary.

Nine News Regional replaces the 6pm bulletin produced out of Sydney, and therefore has to strike the right balance between local issues and international developments. If viewers want a solidly local news bulletin, there are alternatives on Prime and WIN.

The nature of yesterday’s news absolutely comes above almost any local story and therefore deserves top billing on any bulletin which purports to show a mix of local, national and international news. Further, with Australian forces and fighter jets in Syria and Iraq at present, there is a local dimension to the story, seeing as our forces in the region are having their security arrangements upgraded as a precaution. Loved ones of those abroad who live in regional areas would be concerned.

9 Likes

Alissa Warren filling-in for Mike Lorigan:

9 Likes