Nine News Local

I don’t see anything wrong with crossing to the Sydney bulletin for coverage of the London attacks and coming back to Vanessa for the rest of the days news. It’s all still done under the banner of “Nine News”.

To me, it looks more awkward when NBN has to do that because the branding is so different and because of their obsession with covering up the “Nine News” brand.

And at least SNSW gets a more complete and better coverage of the London atrocity with Live crosses than just relying on prerecorded material.

2 Likes

No not really, but it would be nice if they tried.

100% agree with everything you said.
This was an opportunity to shine and deliver on their promise. But like you said - someone higher up didn’t have the confidence that Vanessa would bring the gravitas required for such a huge story.

And they were right.

2 Likes

Did you even watch Nine News Sydney? They obviously didn’t plan for just prepackaged reports. They had reporters in the big screen off the top of the show. Something went terribly wrong with the automation last night and they dumped all of their live crosses.

3 Likes

I don’t quite understand why they went with a different news presenter presenting the regional news. As the regional news is just windows pre-recorded it would have made more since to use the Sydney news reader and have them record the inserts. Therefore they would not need to present the news from a shoebox location within Channel Nine’s Sydney studios and it’s presentation would be much better. Peter Overton in Sydney if he started pre-recording the local inserts from 4pm I would say that would be very much doable.

2 Likes

While Nine might be able to manage that, it wouldn’t look much like a regional bulletin. They are trying to give the impression of bulletin localised to the broadcast area and having Peter Overton obviously broadcasting out of Sydney would be counter productive.

5 Likes

Somehow I’d imagine that Peter Overton is pretty busy during the day as it is now, without having to record local news windows for regional markets.

You have to remember that throughout the course of the day, metropolitan news presenters (especially in larger markets like Sydney) would most likely take their time checking stories and rehearsing for that night’s bulletin. Then there’s the recording of news updates, radio promos, possibly live interviews on radio (I believe that Fergo does this for Seven on Chris Smith’s 2GB show, not sure if Overton does something similar) and other commitments for the network during the day.

4 Likes

I would’ve liked to have seen Jessica Good back in the chair for the SNSW & ACT Nine News bulletins. IIRC she was popular in her days presenting WIN News, though that was 7 years ago.

Albury/Shepparton montage

2 Likes

Wasn’t she the one who succeeded Peter Leonard?

And how long did she present for?

1 Like

Yes. Can’t remember exactly how long she was in the chair for before Danielle Post took over. Think that was about August 2010.

2 Likes

She was the regular presenter for 3 years after Peter but before that was a weather presenter and a reporter. She was quite a recognisable face on Canberra screens.

2 Likes

Yeah thought she was the weather presenter

1 Like

Really? Nothing wrong? Nine intentionally set up a composite local, national and interantional bulletin. If they’re going to continute to cut to head office every time a big story hits, they may as well do a WIN/Prime model.

Do you think Melbourne would have put up with, for a SECOND, GTV saying, “Now we’re crossing to Sydney, because they do the news better”.

There is always a way to get a live cross - SNSW may have had to wait their turn, but they could have got one.

4 Likes

The Canberra bulletin is read live start to finish - it’s only Illwarra, Riverina and Centarl West that have pre-recorded windows.

2 Likes

They should have pre-recorded some back up throws when they were testing the link.

Live crosses are overated for the most part, unless there is an interview with someone who has new information like local police. They add a nice bit of flavour and realness, but if it were recorded 15 minutes earlier, would it really matter? Prime7 does a decent job of it every night.

5 Likes

I think Primes crosses are recorded live - and the broadcast is just aired delayed - right?

I don’t think they are “faked” they are done live in real time - but aired tape delayed

As Pointed out @jason120au 9 News SNSW is not pre recoded windows. It’s an entire one hour bulletin done live - with a few pre record segments aired within

1 Like

But there could be an argument that a similar approach could have been applied to the Peter Overton bulletin. He could record the local stories during the day that are used now then the Sydney bulletin could go out to regional areas with these inserted the same as they are in the current regional bulletin. So the news would truly be Nine News NSW with Sydney getting their current bulletin but with regional area getting substitute local stories - complete with the professional presentation, new news set, OTS, backdrops etc and other technology that is missing from their current bulletin. I’m not necessarily advocating this, but it was an option.

1 Like

A few issues with this

• as others have pointed out a newsreader and studio is normally busy 4-6pm doing news updates, pre records, promos, radio promos and a dozen other things

• the local pre records would have to be done so early it reduces the time reporters and editors have to file
    Stories

• no local live crosses could
    Be done - and we’ve been seeing this on the SNSW and ViC bulletins

• it goes against the whole
    Idea or having a local customized bulletin.

• working out how to carve out 15 minutes daily from
    The Sydney bulletin to insert local news sport and Weather is a difficult task in a live bulletin. What parts do you carve out without altering the Sydney bulletin?

• as far as I know nowhere in the world is The format down you are suggesting

1 Like