Nine News Local

@Willwalk

The SCA studios are on the market with plans to build medium density housing

They won’t move the studios to Canberra. Vanessa and the 10 production staff are all in sydney. If it was cheaper / easier / more sensible logistically to do it from Canberra - they would have from the start

1 Like

Another terrible backdrop for 9 News SNSW - that’s 3 for 3 now.

Surely these kind of shots from their own promo would look better as the set backdrop:

Or this kind of image:

5 Likes

There is already a DA submitted for the dilapidated Carotel site that’s between SCA and Prime. The three sites are already effectively zoned for residential, so SCA and Prime will probably both be moving.

Still the same problems dragging down these bulletins after 3 weeks… I was so excited for 9 News to enter regional markets, but if I lived in southern NSW I wouldn’t be watching these bulletins. It’s just so dull and bland.

I sure hope QTQ do a better job at producing these bulletins for Regional QLD. The standard currently being pushed out in SNSW certainly won’t even scratch the surface of 7 News’ regional bulletins audience

9 Likes

It seems unlikely as the one person is in charge of all the 9News regional bulletins; apparently when he heard Nine was going to produce bulletins for SC9, he said ‘Why would we do that?’, so perhaps what we’re seeing is the result of that attitude? :disappointed:

1 Like

Not sure if already mentioned, but the Albury/Shepparton bulletin will first go to air on Monday, 20th March 2017.

Source

3 Likes

If Nine follows the order of the launch announcement press release like they have with Southern NSW/ACT, I’d expect the launch dates for the Regional Victorian bulletins to be…

• Ballarat - March 6
• Bendigo - March 13
• Albury/Shepparton - March 20
• Gippsland - March 27

Although personally, I’m more interested to hear who’ll be the sport/weather presenters and the local reporters for Regional Victoria’s new editions of Nine News.

4 Likes

IIRC, Sonia Marinelli has been confirmed as the weather presenter in December last year, but no idea on who’s the sports presenter yet.

3 Likes

I really dislike that they’re using the Sydney metro set to promote the regional bulletins when the actual news is presented from a broom cupboard in front of a green screen with a static image on it. Is that all regional viewers deserve? The problem is made worse by having the weekend metro bulletins broadcast into the regions with the swanky new set and A grade presenters. It highlights the problem with the current cheap and nasty set up even more.

I really don’t have a problem with the actual content of the bulletins. I’ll go as far as to say I’m impressed by some of the local stories they’ve aired and Gavin Morris’s weather report is actually better than Sherlock’s.

If they really wanted to do local news and weather there are numerous ways it could’ve been shoe horned into the schedule without losing the goodwill viewers have towards the metro product and presenters.

13 Likes

The SNSW / ACT news bulletin background looks like a animated PowerPoint slide to me. Not real at all. I share the feeling of a big disappointment when seeing the montage videos of the 3 news bulletins. At least 9 news Darwin and NBN News have much better and real looking news studios.

6 Likes

SCA Nine’s ratings are down at 6:00pm in Canberra and Wollongong since the local news started. I’m mostly in Canberra now and for the first time in decades I am not automatically watching Nine News prefering to wait for The Project at 6:30 rather than watching an inferior product. The Canberra Times and RiotACT adequately give me the ACT news I need without having to bother with Nine Canberra.

2 Likes

I know this is a what If case, but… I’m just wondering if those bulletins could have stood a better chance of gaining better ratings if southern cross did not close the bulletins in Townsville, Canberra and Bendigo? Would it had made a difference?

Day 2

9 Likes

I hope there is a re-group at some stage before they launch into Queensland with a view to re-assessing this approach.

4 Likes

my prediction for the backdrop for the Albury/Shepparton bulletin (this a photo I took in 2008 when I was in Albury on holidays, it is Dean Street and the Albury CBD taken from Monument Hill)

2 Likes

and for Bendigo, the Alexandra Fountain (this I took in 2009)

1 Like

Would an image of a stretch of the Murray be appropriate/suitable?

3 Likes

Tonight’s montage

5 Likes

I normally wouldn’t comment on the background image of a bulletin as that discussion is just going around in circles on here but at what point does the fact there is a road works and give way sign in the image get past the news director?

Actually, they just aren’t good photos. Is this all a big joke? Is Ashton Kutcher going to pop in and punk everyone? No, news sets don’t get ratings but sh#% a brick guys… chuck a lense flare or grad filter over it… or as suggested earlier on - bugger the local images and go generic.

6 Likes

Do they deliberately cut off the first second of the intro like that every night? If it’s not bad enough they don’t have a proper opener with headlines, it’s worse with it cut off like that.