Nine News Local

They wouldn’t be copying scripts- that is too hard. For the Mackay bulletin they will just be getting a clip from each region and piecing it together for the output in that city. The chroma key allows them to adjust the backdrop.

3 Likes

After having watched 9 News Mackay again tonight, I really can’t see them meeting these obligations in the local region.

The bulletin tonight featured absolutely nothing local except the weather report.
I’ve detailed the local news window above, the local sport window was filled with random, completely irrelevant stories from Cairns, Rockhampton, and the Sunshine Coast markets. The athletes, teams, and sporting events mentioned had no relevance to this area whatsoever.

Tonight, the only locally relevant content was the weather report. As stated, they get points from showing other Regional QLD news, but I just can’t see how this could be enough to meet the requirements having watched the bulletin.

1 Like

would this be be enough to cover the 45points???

1 Like

SCA are actually not obligated to produce anything local for the Mackay-Whitsundays region. There are seven local areas that comprise the RQLD licence area; broadcasters are only required to fill local content requirements for five of them. In SCA’s case, they’ve chosen to exclude the Mackay-Whitsundays and Darling Downs areas.

https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Television/Local--regional-content/local-areas-and-licensees-local-regional-content-i-acma

4 Likes

Interesting. They must have had that changed.

Last time I viewed that table a few months ago, the Wide Bay and Sunshine Coast were the excluded areas for SCA.

The most recent capture on Wayback Machine was quite some time ago, but it also reflects this https://web.archive.org/web/20170322011857/http://acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Television/Local--regional-content/local-areas-and-licensees-local-regional-content-i-acma

2 Likes

ok so how about regional Victoria say 9 news western vic , 5 mins of local news and 5 or 6 min of local sport and 3 or 4 mins of weather x 5days a week would that be enough to cover the 45points or would that be 2 much???

1 Like

Before 2 minute chicken noodle updates made up the points i am sure what they do now goes well over. Prime7 must be on the lower end of the requirements. Weather updates only being statewide and only having 4 updates between 7pm and midnight

1 Like

As promised, here’s the montage from 9 News “Mackay” on Monday night.
Unfortunately, my recording stopped at 6:50pm so I missed the weather update, but the montage gives a good sense of what is airing in the area.

Hot Seat News Update also included at the start.

5 Likes

An interesting observation, I see that the one Mackay piece that aired in that bulletin on Monday (the Adani Protest) also got a mention on 7 News Mackay that night.

I noticed in the 7 News Mackay story that they had the exact same footage as was used in that 9 News piece.

Would 9 News be getting footage from 7?
Only other explanation I could think of was that maybe the footage was supplied by someone to both 7 and 9.

3 Likes

All networks use stringer vision of a breaking event if they have other commitments lined up… and then they will send a reporter to the location afterwards to get a piece to camera. This happens everyday, especially for overnight stories.
On this occasion, both 7 and 9 have brought the same vision.
Pretty sure 9 regional has only 2 camera operators (sometimes only 1) employed in each newsroom, so most of their local vision comes from stringers. A lot of these journos will drive to the location in their own private vehicle to meet the stringers.

2 Likes

From tonight’s bulletin:

Vanessa O’Hanlon - “Thanks Gav, and that is Nine News for this evening, i’m off on a short break, goodnight”.

What an amateurish way to sign-off the bulletin. Peter Overton doesn’t inform viewers at the end of a bulletin when he is about to take time off. :joy: I know that it’s the Easter long-weekend (and the Nine News Regional bulletins presumably won’t go to air tomorrow night), but the sign-off could have been handled a lot better.

2 Likes

He should. It’s rude to go leave and not say goodbye.

7 Likes

I personally think he should though - it’s called building a connection & trust with your viewers!

Although they did go to air on the two Good Fridays they’ve been in production for, as far as I’m aware.

I know you’ll completely disagree, but personally I hope Nine News’ regional bulletins will go to air tomorrow.

2 Likes

The regional areas only receive the metro bulletin on Christmas Day. They will go to air tomorrow, as far as I understand it.

1 Like

ur right still says 9 local news on my epg for tomorrow night

1 Like

Mike Lorigan presenting in NSW/ACT while Vanessa is on a “short break”.

2 Likes

In Western Victoria tonight, and there was a little problem at the start of the bulletin.

Cut to the Melbourne bulletin for 5 seconds with audio from the regional bulletin before cutting back.

1 Like

Same thing happened in QLD.

2 Likes

Must of been a glitch

I was watching in NQ and we did have a significant glitch, but I didn’t see the audio issues described.

In NQ, after the football finished, we were treated to nearly the entire opening headlines of 9 News Brisbane (with the sport HD watermark present), which was cut abruptly to a “Nine.com.au” ad before the regional bulletin then started properly

3 Likes