Nine News Local

Early Easter break
School holidays
Unwell

Pick one…

3 Likes

And Soniaa not there as well

Ok, Is it Nine News Border North East or Nine News Albury Shepparton? Make up your mind.

Listening to a promo on local Radio spruiking about Nine news, Not one mention of Nine News Border North West however about 3 or 4 times Nine News Albury Shepparton.

3 Likes

Gee, I think someone needs to teach the producers at TCN-9 how to use Google Maps or at the very least, a street directory. :roll_eyes: Not only has Wollongong apparently had a letter “l” removed from it’s name, but now Berkeley is missing a “k”.

3 Likes

Who needs a reboot of Wheel of Fortune when you can play the same game watching a Nine News regional bulletin.

I watch the Nine Sydney bulletin and record the Wollongong bulletins when reception allows. I’m usually doing something else when I play them but lately I’ve been more engaged looking for the bloopers.

3 Likes

And the other obvious thing; “Car jacking” implies someone is going around and jacking cars up… possibly leaving them up on blocks? Wheras “Carjacking” is a completely different thing.

1 Like

The Nine News southern NSW regional bulletin leading with election coverage with the defamation verdict following. Rush lead the Sydney bulletin.

2 Likes

Arguably a rare example of Nine News’ Southern NSW/ACT bulletins making a better content decision than Nine News Sydney.

1 Like

Really?

Rush was new this afternoon. People heard all about the election this morning.

4 Likes

I agree. The Rush verdict was recent news of wide national interest and should have been the lead story.

3 Likes

Mia Egerton-Warburton from Nine News Shepparton/Border North East is joining Nine News Perth.

2 Likes

There still hasn’t been any confirmation about what is actually airing in Mackay since the cancellation in February.
I’ll be visiting the Mackay market in the coming days, so I’ll be keeping an eye out and reporting back.

13 Likes

In Mackay.
Hot seat preview just aired with Paul Taylor in front of the usual Mackay backdrop.

All stories mentioned in the update were national/election.

Paul signed off with “9 News Mackay is coming up next”

5 Likes

I’m recording here in Mackay, will provide caps and video later when I can.

Intro was all still branded “9 News Mackay” but all opening stories mentioned were State, Townsville, and Rockhampton based.

Local window now airing:
Stories are:

1. Cairns: Local Member Election Update
  2. Gladstone: Renewable Energy
  3. Mackay V/O: Adani Protest
  4. Rockhampton: Airport Security Scare
  5. Western QLD: Triathlon
  6. Mackay Fuel Prices

They’re not even trying to pretend to be local either:

This is a bizarre news bulletin, I can’t believe they’re still branding it as “9 News Mackay”

6 Likes

So it sounds like they still have skeleton staff for Mackay but otherwise it’s just stories from other markets.

2 Likes

Mackay’s local sport window is slightly better.

Only two stories tonight, first one was an NQ Cowboys story from Townsville, which would of been of local interest.

Second was from the Rockhampton market showing the Rockhampton basketball team vs. Mackay at Rockhampton over the weekend.

Local weather airing as normal.

What are the requirements for content of local significance?
I doubt SCA are meeting this requirement with this dodgy news bulletin, from my quick observations, I’d say there was only about 4 minutes of locally significant content across the whole bulletin, most of which was just the weather report.

4 Likes

There seems to be an assumption that the local content requirements means all local news has to be “local”. But that is not what is required under the Broadcasting Services Act.

It appears that 50% (45 points) of the local content points each week can be from the licence area rather than the local area (Section 61CY Item 4), and 10% (9 points) of the points can be community service announcements (Section 61CYA).

SCA could make up the 90 points required for Mackay each week with:

• 9 minutes of regional Queensland news stories each day 1 point per minute = 45 points
  • 9 minutes of community service announcements across the week 1 point per minute = 9 points
  • 2 minutes of the weather report each day assuming 1 point per minute = 10 points
  • 2 minutes of Mackay specific content each day at 3 points per minute = 30 points

gives 94 points across the week. I’m happy for someone to check if I have this wrong!

Broadcasting Services Act:

Broadcasting Services Local Programming Determination 2018:

2 Likes

ok so if we did say 9 local news here in victoria say 9 news western vic , 5 mins of local news and 5 or 6 min of local sport and 3 or 4 mins of weather x 5days a week would that be enough

1 Like

Here’s some caps from the bulletin that aired in Mackay tonight. Unfortunately my recording ended 10 minutes too early so I didn’t get any caps of the weather, but it was all localised as previous.

Videos will be uploaded sometime later.

2 Likes

My second and last night in Mackay.

Local window tonight featured absolutely nothing local apart from the Fuel prices.
Scripts seem to be copied from the original market the story aired in, “a local family has had their house robbed” for a Townsville story, “local candidates” for the Townsville Election Update, etc.

Stories tonight featured a detailed update on the election candidates for Townsville, a story about blood donations needed in Cairns, and a “local” classic car event, which is occuring in Maryborough, 700km away.

Local Window Stories

1. Townsville: House Breaking Ins (Reporter: Claire Boughey)
  2. Rockhampton V/O: Stolen Van
  3. Townsville: Herbert Election Update (Reporter: Phil Calder)
  4. Cairns: Blood Donations Needed (Reporter: Jordan Koster)
  5. Wide Bay V/O: Maryborough Classic Car Event
  6. Mackay Fuel Prices
1 Like