Nine News Local

QLD bulletin airing as normal

1 Like

A change of background would have been appropriate.

1 Like

It’s an absolute joke, isn’t it? For all their faults (and there are more than a few), NBN News absolutely has the right philosophy by not seeing coverage of major stories like the terror attacks in Christchurch as being too big to present themselves.

Mind you, Nine News Sydney shouldn’t be let completely off the hook. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s not doubt that Deborah Knight would’ve done a good job at covering today’s events in New Zealand. But at the same time, surely I can’t be the only one who’s thinking how much better it would’ve been if TCN had Peter Overton presenting tonight’s bulletin (even if it was say, Pete & Deb together) and/or additional coverage?

2 Likes

victoria bullentin aired as normal

I wonder who makes the call in Nine/TCN/Southern Cross as to when the Regional NSW defers to its Sydney counterpart.

Clearly whoever is in control in Queensland and Victoria has more faith in their product.

2 Likes

This happened last night. The bulletin has been running for two years and they can’t get the name of the third largest city in NSW and largest regional SCA news market correct.

6 Likes

Nor pronunciations of Wolongong suburbs.

1 Like

And this is why they’re not able to handle news bigger than a council meeting.

Even the council meeting might be a stretch. :rofl:

1 Like

For some ridiculous reason, promos for Nine News Riverina have been airing frequently here in the Illawarra over the past few days. I just saw one air during an ad-break for Today. It’s such a pathetic news service…

2 Likes

the reporters face says it all really…

And we wonder why TCN doesn’t have the confidence in their SNSW/ACT team to headline major events, preferring to cross to “network coverage” instead.

How is it the regional team based out of the network’s own national headquarters appear to be of a lesser quality than their interstate counterparts for RVIC and RQLD? You’d think the SNSW/ACT team would be the crème de la crème of the three regional teams, right?

It probably doesn’t help Nine’s Southern NSW/ACT bulletins that their main newsreader is Vanessa O’Hanlon rather than a more familiar face/voice in the market like Danielle Post or Natassia Apolloni. Or if either of those presenters don’t want to anchor Nine’s SNSW/ACT bulletins, why don’t they try and poach someone from WIN like Amy Duggan or Tanya Dendrinos?

Nine seems to have the right idea for Regional Queensland with ex-WIN presenters Paul Taylor, Samantha Heathwood & Paul Murphy on their team up there.

I’d probably say that the “crème de la crème” of Nine & affiliated regional teams is actually NBN. But of course there seems to be some weird thing between them and TCN which seemingly will never result in them always working together, even though both are strong legacy stations/news services in their respective markets.

1 Like

I was intending to refer more to just the three SNSW/RVIC/RQLD “Nine News Regional” bulletin sets that were launched in 2017. You would’ve thought that with TCN being Nine’s HQ and premier station they’d employ the better people for the regional bulletins and be ahead of their interstate counterparts in that respect.

NBN is really more of its own thing and has decades of legacy service behind it as well. Though it would serve them well to integrate better with the network (sharing journos, etc.)

1 Like

I completely agree that Nine’s Southern NSW/ACT bulletins should be produced a lot better than they are. Not only because they’re based out of network flagship TCN, but also because both the Canberra & Illawarra markets are two of the most populated in regional Australia.

The Gold Coast with 600k is getting semi-metro quality bulletins from both Nine and Seven. With the Canberra & the Illawarra markets both having populations over 500k, I think it’d be quite reasonable for local viewers to demand production standards for Nine News Canberra & Illawarra at/near the levels of Nine Gold Coast News.

That’s true but it’s still a shining beacon of what Nine News’ regional bulletins can/should be, particularly in Southern NSW/ACT.

Realistically I know they’re probably more likely to shift the presentation of NBN News to North Sydney, but Nine needs to look at having all elements of the Southern NSW/ACT regional bulletins presented in Newcastle (surely a large enough regional city to attract presenting talent to?) when NBN eventually moves to their new facilities IMO.

2 Likes

I think many here safely share a similar opinion.

2 Likes

Here in Townsville,
Average overnight temperature at this time of year: 20.6°C
Overnight temperature last night: 24.2°C

Tonight’s cross to weather preview:
Paul: “Nicole, can we expect the cold snap to continue?”

3 Likes

Did someone at Nine News Regional QLD/Darwin accidentally get the script for tonight’s Nine News Sydney weather preview? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Monday -

Dougal Beatty presented in Victoria.

2 Likes

And the same tonight…What happened to jo hall?