Nine News Local

Live cross to Cairns

2 Likes

Pretty awkward silence and stuff up in the last 5 minutes of 9 News Reg. QLD.

Anyone have a recording?

2 Likes

Video of playout problems as mentioned above. Includes opener, skip to 1:09. Lots of dead air.

7 Likes

They’ll use any way they can to sneak Aldi into a bulletin eh

2 Likes

Vanessa posted this bank of monitors on her Instagram feed yesterday. Obviously the first four monitors show the usual backdrop for the four SNSW/ACT markets, but when are the other backdrops used? They are labelled “PGM 2-shot”.

Credit: Vanessa O’Hanlon (Instagram)

9 Likes

PGM 2 Shot probably stands for Program (the main output) 2 shot (so two people in the shot)

I’ve never seen the actual backgrounds used though - bottom middle looks like Border North East’s, which is in a different market entirely and not presented by Vanessa.

The second, third and fourth PGM backgrounds are from the Gippsland, Bendigo and Border North East bulletins.

3 Likes

So the fake plasma isn’t part of the key then? Interesting.

3 Likes

Thanks. I thought they might be, but as the VIC bulletins come from GTV9 in Melbourne and not TCN9 in Sydney (where Vanessa is) I find it surprising to see them all together at one location. Vanessa would never be seen with any of the RVIC backgrounds behind her, as she doesn’t present the news for those markets! Does this imply the backgrounds for both SNSW and RVIC may actually be added to the feed centrally (say at French’s Forest) and not at the relevant newsrooms? That seems to make little sense.

1 Like

My partner is a teacher at a local school in Townsville.
She showed me a video tonight that the school presented to the Year 12 students who are sitting the QCS test tomorrow.

The clip starts with Sam Heathwood and Paul Taylor sitting in the Nine Regional studio (with the Townsville backdrop showing) having a chat about year 12 and wishing the students luck… Paul turned to Sam during the video and said “Oh, year 12, that was the best 3 years of my life”.

14 Likes

Think they’re expecting a bit much to assume that high school age kids would know who either of these people are.

3 Likes

I actually thought the same, but it’s a nice sentiment nonetheless

1 Like

Last night’s Illawarra local news. According to the caption a suburb in Wollongong’s north is under the control of a council 400km away in the NSW central west.

02%20pm

11 Likes

That super though.

12 Likes

Sam Heathwood presented QLD solo tonight for the 2nd night in a row.

The bulletin felt like a proper North QLD news bulletin tonight.
The first 12 minutes were entirely North QLD based on the local bulletin.

Opening in the statewide section on a story about human remains found just outside of the city, including a live cross to Townsville Court.
Then the 5 minute local window.
Then back to statewide with a story about a murder in Townsville.
Then a story about Adani and the Abbot Point Coal Terminal, which is about 2 hours south of here.

Then at 6:12 the bulletin went on to other news.

Would have been weird for Darwin/Sunshine Coast, etc. viewers, but it was great from a local perspective.

3 Likes

Not only that, but they couldn’t even spell the word “precinct” correctly.

3 Likes

I think Nine’s priorities might be out of whack when it comes to regional news broadcasting, particularly in New South Wales.

On one hand you’ve got errors such as the example posted above, along with the Regional NSW geography fails TCN is infamous for. But at the same time we still regularly see Nine News Sydney reporters covering stories in Regional NSW (sometimes as far away from Sydney as Taree and even Grafton) which aside from the more familiar face/voice to metropolitan viewers, would probably covered just fine by a Nine Regional or NBN reporter!

And yes, I know that Seven and Ten might have such shortcomings when it comes to covering news in Regional NSW. But since Nine has (or should have) the vast Regional NSW resources that are 2nd only to the ABC while the other two Sydney commercial channels are likely reliant on their affiliates for Regional NSW news, we really should be expecting better from Nine News IMO.

2 Likes

TCN like to swoop stories that are big enough. If the news director and COS think it is worth it, TCN will take the story. It isn’t just for regional NSW, but for GTV and QTQ as well. If a story is big enough, TCN will have their reporter cover it. However, for the Illawarra, they are trusting Natassia Appoloni to take stories. She is a great talent.

2 Likes

It’s fair enough for Nine News Sydney reporters to be travelling across the state (or even outside of it) for reports of significant/national interest, but there have been occasions recently when TCN have sent reporters into regional NSW for stories that weren’t likely to be shown interstate/nationally.

To use all but one recent example, about 2 weeks ago TCN sent Damian Ryan up to Grafton to do a report on the new jail being built up there - I highly doubt that would’ve been picked up by any bulletins outside NSW.

IMO, that’s what Nine News Sydney should be doing for all regional areas of NSW. Trusting the locally-based talent (who are likely more familiar with the area they’re covering than Sydney’s reporters) to take reports, while allowing TCN reporters to focus more on stories happening in our city.

1 Like