Nine News Local

Personally I’m expecting Seven/Prime7 to continue their ratings dominance at 6pm (especially in markets where they have full local bulletins), the new SCA Nine services to likely rate OK and WIN News to rate 3rd or worse. But of course, I could be completely wrong with that prediction.

IMO, Canberra, Wollongong and maybe parts of Regional Victoria (aside from the Border, Albury/Wodonga region where there’s currently a full Prime7 News bulletin of course) are the markets where SCA Nine is most likely to succeed. One does have to wonder how well Prime7 would rate if they had more substantial local news presences in the aforementioned areas, but I’m digressing here…

4 Likes

I couldn’t see her wanting to make the daily commute to Sydney given her family situation and she’s unlikely to want to move considering her husband operates a successful, well established business in the 'gong. She recently started teaching journalism at UOW, anyway.

1 Like

Did I just see that Vanessa O’Hanlon will read the regional bulletins in NSW? So this will be her new job after quitting the ABC. Has she had any newsreading experience before?

1 Like

Good analysis.

Looking at Prime7’s share margin to the nearest competitor in regional VIC though, if seems as if people would rather watch Seven News Melbourne than a local bulletin :open_mouth:

I’ve wondered for years how WIN News rates in regional VIC, I have family who watch the Bendigo bulletin nightly (when it was a Ch 9 affiliate at least).

What, really? :open_mouth:

So Vanessa moving to Sydney or will be present the regional NSW bulletin from Melbourne?

Better still, why didn’t they get her to present the regional VIC bulletin?

Completely agree. I suppose it is the closest thing to anchoring the 6pm news she will get for awhile.

How I would do these local bulletins is for a pre-recorded cross from the main anchor to the local presenter (who would be positioned at one part of the 6pm set) and then run the local news, sport and weather by the local presenter (I think it is not necessary to appoint another local weather or sports presenter, maybe just use the 6pm presenters). At the end, cross back to the presenter. I think this will make it as seamless as possible.

@Read_It_First confirmed that Jo Hall; Vanessa O’Hanlon and Samantha Heathwood resepctively are the local presenters.

[quote=“LukeMovieMan, post:19, topic:2086”]

What happened to [Rob Canning?][/quote]
As far as I know, Canning occasionally presents sport on Nine National Morning/Afternoon News.

1 Like

Vanessa O’Hanlon is currently doing the weather on ABC Vic - maybe not quite done there!

1 Like

And the weather on News Breakfast for the past 8 years. She will finish up December 8, and these local bulletins will commence in February.

2 Likes

I thought she’d finished up last week. Didn’t watch this morning.

As far as the Weather is concerned, I don’t see why they couldn’t just get the metropolitan Nine News presenters to pre-record a few regional forecasts in advance. That way, you can include a quick check of the weather for the major capital city, the state and the country without regional viewers having to see the suburban temperatures for today/tomorrow or the 7 Day Forecast(s).

On regional TV news it’s very important to have a decent quality weather segment, preferably with someone presenting the forecast IMO. Local sport? I’m rather indifferent as to whether regional news bulletins even need a sport presenter, knowing the type of reports (some of which would NEVER make it onto metro news, even on a very slow news day) that are often featured in the sport segments of regional TV news in this country.

6 Likes

Agree, similarly to what Seven Local News do. Have today’s temperatures, satellite, national weather tomorrow then cut to local content and perhaps return live to presenter saying fact or something. Obviously, it would need high editing skills.

Here is something I whipped up (clearly not as good as we see in the mocks thread) for Nine News Melbourne. Jo could stand at the video wall at the start, do the local news, cut back to metro live feed and cut later in the weather and sport if need be.

14 Likes

I think the regionals can get the same sports report as the metros. All the major sports are national (albeit with a state based skew) so are of equal relevance to metro and regional audiences. When there is a local sport story it can follow the other local news at the end of the local window. (Or higher up if it’s worthy)

5 Likes

It’s so great to see both Nine and SCA are working together on deliver local news content to their regional audiences. It’s happening much sooner than I originally thought it would (pleasantly surprised much with the HD service ready on day 1).

[quote=“melbournefan, post:11, topic:2086, full:true”]
9 Mildura is owned by both WIN and Prime so I doubt anything will happen there[/quote]Agree. Mildura will be left out much like other JV’s in 9Tas.

Am I right in understanding Nine/SCA have not given details/nor do we know what format the “15 new bulletins” will follow:

a) Be local pre-recorded inserts read by the new hosts into the main live “9 News Sydney” / “9 News Brisbane” bulletins at 6

b) Be a live one-hour statewide bulletin for each SNSW, VIC, QLD - with breakaway local windows for the 15 cities (NBN style)

c) Be 15 unique 15 one-hour bulletins (pre recorded, obviously)

d) How weather / sport will be handled.

Personally, I think option b) is the best - A live bulletin at 6 is much better than bulletins pre-recored up to 5 hours beforehand. It destroys the flow, pace, quality and energy of the bulletin when it’s all pre-recorded.

I wonder if Northern NSW (NBN) will undergo changes at the same time.

3 Likes

Mackay’s newspaper has run a story about the change mentioning the local ratings and referencing the new news staff working out of SCA’s current radio offices.

"Mr Lenarcic didn’t have a start-date for the Mackay bulletins but said the 5-6 workers would be based in SCA’s Mackay radio building.

Seven Queensland declined to comment on the impact Nine’s proposed regional news bulletins would have on the company’s ratings.

BREAKING news in Mackay will be covered by yet another news network as Nine and Southern Cross Austereo announce plans to roll-out 15 local news bulletins throughout Australia."

Source: http://m.dailymercury.com.au/news/ready-to-go-up-against-seven-scas-battle-for-macka/3108921/

I personally think the NBN style of a live statewide bulletin with local windows would be best, but I somewhat doubt that that is what they’ll do.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Samantha Heathwood has presented in Wide Bay or Sunshine Coast before when she was with WIN?

During her days with the Rockhampton studio, she presented in Cairns, Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton.
Then when she moved to Toowoomba she presented in Townsville, Mackay and Toowoomba.

With these 15 new bulletins (or inserts, we don’t really know yet) 9 News will now offer local news in 23 cities. Pretty impressive

2 Likes

This was in the Mackay, QLD newspaper. Hope this isn’t the set!

3 Likes

That’s the Springfield set.

that’s Eva Milic in western Brisbane