Nine News Local

Hopefully she has some short piece-to-camera instead of an immediate, stale handover like last time.

The Liberal leadership crisis has entered its second day with more uncertainty gripping the nation as the hours pass. What’s fast becoming a three-horse race has encapsulated all political affairs with parliament suspended until the crisis has passed. We cross now to network coverage with Peter Overton live at Parliament House.

How Nine News NSW/ACT managed the ‘Leadership Crisis’ coverage

5 Likes

She did, as seen above. I edited that quote to accurately reflect what O’Hanlon said. I paraphrased because I was watching both bulletins at the same time, wanted to see all reports and only quickly switched to the regional bulletin to see what they would do.

no special edition for nine news regional victoria

2 Likes

My bad, I had presumed you were writing a guess as to what would be broadcast.

Watching that video above, what a shoddy slap together for the bulletin…

2 Likes

The start of the bulletin tonight we saw the live vision of Government House awaiting the swearing in of Scott Morrison.
And it was mentioned they’d cross to it live.

Anyway, conveniently the swearing in occurring right as the local window was playing.

So all we got was a quick 30 second summary from Sam after the local window.

It would have been a logistical nightmare, but I think it’s unacceptable that they didn’t either leave the local window until later in the bulletin, or just cut straight into the local window to show it live.

Also, still sick of getting unedited Brisbane stories, the one airing right now is talking about “south of the city and on the Gold Coast”, and “if you’re competing in the Bridge to Brisbane this weekend” :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Did Sam say that about Bridge to Brisbane, or was it part of a report?

If the former, I don’t get why she doesn’t say to someone “Hang on, can we change that?”

It was part of a report on “upcoming wet weather”

Which was in itself pointless, as the wet weather is only affecting the Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast and Darling Downs bulletin regions, and not affecting the other 5 markets the story aired in.

I just thing it’s ridiculously lazy that they can’t just quickly edit the Brisbane-centric bits out of the report

2 Likes

Looked and sounded very clunky and disjointed. Why not use a split screen for the “handover” and maybe say “we are joining Nine’s Peter Overton in Canberra” rather than mention “network coverage”?

Did the Melbourne and Brisbane bulletins cross to Peter or have their own anchor/reporter on scene?

Another blowup for Nine and SCA. :man_facepalming::woman_facepalming::man_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::man_facepalming:t4::woman_facepalming:t4::man_facepalming:t5::woman_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:t6::woman_facepalming:t6:

If a major story of national importance occured in Canberra or within Nine News Regional’s coverage in the east coast, I’d prefer the respective main regional presenters to go live on location, then have the local windows and other stories handle by somebody else.

4 Likes

I agree.

Any major news story happening in Southern NSW/ACT which is deemed to be important enough for Peter Overton to present on-location really should be deemed important enough for Vanessa O’Hanlon to present on-location. Even if that means getting…say, Mike Lorigan and a fill-in Sports presenter to cover the local windows and everything else from the studio, then so be it.

Especially when it comes to big Federal Politics news from Canberra, there probably would’ve been some not insignificant people (MPs, public servants, journalists, political junkies in general) who were monitoring Nine News Canberra in recent days - whether the Nine News presenter for Sydney is outside Parliament House doesn’t really matter from a TV perspective because that’s not who Canberra viewers get to watch on weeknights anymore!

1 Like

you are totally ignoring the logistics of all of that to happen.

you are also missing Nine’s care factor about these bulletins.

1 Like

Just shows the whole format is crap. They should reintro the Sydney bulletin with local windows.

1 Like

Fair point I suppose, but that doesn’t make the scenario of Peter Overton on-location in Southern NSW/ACT and Vanessa O’Hanlon in the studio any less ridiculous from a viewer’s perspective!

There are also well documented issues with Nine News Sydney (which Seven & Ten may also have, although Nine is the main focus for obvious reasons) when it comes to their coverage of Regional NSW.

Geography and TCN reporters going into the regions to file stories which (aside from the more familiar face to Sydney viewers) would probably be adequately covered by NBN or Nine regional reporters being all but two…but don’t get me started on those again!

Although that would be ideal, I’d imagine that the presenters of Nine News Sydney are already extremely busy on weekdays without having to pre-record segments for regional areas.

Where’s the time to record windows for regional areas in between rehearsals, checking scripts, recording news updates, promos, radio spots and anything else that I’ve missed?

2 Likes

Wollongong’s Natassia Apolloni regularly files reports and live crosses for Nine News Sydney on weekends, and also packages Illawarra stories that air in Sydney. Unlike her regional counterparts though, she is labelled as a senior reporter.

1 Like

Did most viewers really think it was ridiculous? I think most wouldn’t have cared that she crossed to Overton.

2 Likes

Metro presenters don’t need to read it, just record Overton or whoever saying “now for your local news” or “now for the day’s news where you are” and cut to Vanessa sitting in front of the horrid key.

6 Likes

That would be just like how NBC Today throws to local weather.

“And now here’s what’s happening in your part of the world.”

1 Like

not gonna lie I’m starting to think Nine don’t have faith in Vanessa’s presenting, or else she would be covering bigger stories instead of going to ‘network coverage’. she’s more wooden than a pirate ship.

7 Likes

Though in regional Victoria, Jo Hall is in the same boat as Vanessa, despite her track record and years of experience.

2 Likes