Nine News Local

Video

3 Likes

Why is the first story of the night not featured in the headlines at all? Seems odd.

1 Like

Promo shoot

1 Like

Am I the only one who gets really annoyed when they film regional promos in the capital city sets?

I feel as though it’s kind of misleading because when you actually watch it, there appearance is the biggest shitshow and very amateur.

11 Likes

Totally agree. At least create a “miniature replica” for the regional sets.

4 Likes

They like to promote the local stories on the headlines, but of course these don’t get read/shown until the local window.

That’s the problem with a composite bulletin with local opt outs. What’s big news on the Sunshine Coast isn’t big news in North Qld. They could run the local window at the start of the bulletin if the stories were considered big enough, but then other markets would have to listen to their local stories before a bigger national or region-wide story.

Was interesting tonight.

There was a lot of major news locally tonight, and 2 of the Townsville stories were shown outside the local window within the statewide segment.

This meant that we ended up getting 1 Mackay story inside our local window to fill the space. Which is very rare to see

2 Likes

Cheat option: build a full wall green screen to show a floor to ceiling plain backdrop. Then every afternoon film the opening and closing pan shot on the metro set.

The average viewer wouldn’t know the difference.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I thought they should have been doing all along

Tonight’s Illawarra Opener. Title card ran or 15 seconds.

4 Likes

Garry Youngberry presented one QLD/NT combined weather report tonight.
It’s so ridiculous to be doing this.

It’s just so confusing for the general public - my partner was wondering why he was mentioning Southern QLD and the NT on “9 News North QLD”.

If he can’t be bothered to film one for each market, get someone else to do it

2 Likes

Tonight’s weather was Upconverted SD
ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m00s488 ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m09s382
ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m17s034 ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m26s028
ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m37s841 ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m45s669
ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h02m08s006 ZampakidCap-2018-08-22-19h01m56s660

5 Likes

How freaking ridiculous is it that the Deborah Hutton break-in hoax story was the lead story in regional NSW tonight?

Both presentation and content on these bulletins is a joke.

6 Likes

Its normally upconverted SD, isn’t it?

The whole NBN News bulletin is upconverted here.

The Liberal leadership circus is now at point that Nine have decided it was important enough to get Peter Overton & Melissa Downes travelling to Canberra so they can present coverage for the 6pm bulletins in their respective markets. Even though she really should be there, what’s the bet that Vanessa O’Hanlon won’t be presenting the Southern NSW/ACT editions of Nine News (including Nine News Canberra - a bulletin that federal politicians will likely be watching) from outside Parliament House?

As it’s no doubt been mentioned before, viewer loyalty and trust for news presenters is built by getting them outside the studio when the big stories break and the leadership crisis will probably end up being one of Australia’s biggest news stories of 2018.

It would be an extremely bad look if the Nine newsreader that Canberra viewers (with MPs and political junkies likely among them) actually see on terrestrial TV wasn’t on location, and a decision which I would hope is criticised by other local media outlets.

2 Likes

More likely regional viewers will get Pete at 6pm then go to Vanessa when Sydney goes to Deb.

3 Likes

There has been an occasion in the past where Vanessa has thrown to the Sydney bulletin to cover major breaking news at the start.

2 Likes

My guess is that Vanessa will be in Sydney, as Nine will want to produce these bulletins for SCA as cheaply as possible.

2 Likes

At the top of the bulletin: “Good evening and welcome to this special bulletin of Nine News on the leadership crisis that’s crippling the Liberal party. We’re now joining network coverage anchored by Peter Overton at Parliament House”- Vanessa O’Hanlon.

Overton: “That’s it from Canberra for now
” then a rather obvious pause to allow the regional bulletin to cut in before throwing to Deb Knight in Sydney.

9 Likes

Strange that only NSW do this.