Nine News Local

Personally I think Vanessa O’Hanlon might’ve made for a better weather presenter on the Southern NSW/ACT bulletins (remembering that’s what she did at ABC News Breakfast before moving to Nine) although I can definitely understand why they decided on recorded forecasts from Gavin Morris in Newcastle.

With their histories at WIN News (important when targeting the key Illawarra and Canberra markets), either Danielle Post or Natassia Appoloni probably should be the main newsreader for Nine News Southern NSW/ACT. Nine had the right idea in that regard for the Regional QLD bulletins with Paul Taylor and Samantha Heathwood + Paul Murphy on Sport.

Having said all that, it’ll probably be difficult to crack the Illawarra market until Geoff Phillips (who to the best of my knowledge, is a local media icon) retires from WIN News, while Nine News may never be #1 in Canberra due to the unique demographical factors that make ABC TV and radio particularly popular there.

4 Likes

who will be doing the 9 news local victoria weather??? now that sonia is on leave?

Watching WIN News Canberra is like someone you don’t know reading you a slow boring story. Nine News Canberra is marginally better.

2 Likes

My main issue with any Canberra bulletin - whoever presents it on whatever channel - is that they are…well, Canberra-centric. The rest of the viewing area may as well not exist, even though all channels trumpet their news as being relevant to the viewing region as a whole. And frankly, I couldn’t possibly care less what happens in Canberra.

What do you expect? 3 stories a day out of Cooma? There’s a decent amount of Queanbeyan news in the bulletin but it’s still a crappy format with crappy presentation and a wooden presenter.

The local journos on the ground are the best thing about the bulletin but unfortunately you have to sit through the day’s car crashes and crime in Sydney first.

2 Likes

When it started, it was anything but. Vanessa would say ‘we cross to Canberra’… then they’d cross to Queanbeyan. Can you imagine Peter Overton saying ‘we cross now to Sydney’ ?

2 Likes

An occasional acknowledgement that places other than Canberra exist in the viewing region would be pleasant. But Canberra is such an insular, absurdly parochial place (the number of sportspeople, for example, who are from Queanbeyan or who lived in Canberra for 10 minutes but who are forever after labelled as “Canberra athletes”) that almost anything could happen elsewhere and it wouldn’t be mentioned.

Each to their own. As I said I don’t give a damn what happens in Canberra so I don’t watch any news bulletin that originates there. The insularity and parochialism are too cringeworthy for mine.

And no other city in Australia is parochial like you’ve described? Please.

1 Like

I think it’s called 9 News Canberra for a reason…

I am reading this from Europe and laughing myself silly at this comment. Have you never been to Sydney or Melbourne? I’m not even going to dissect what is wrong with this comment as the evidence is very clearly to the contrary. Simply open a week’s worth of Canberra Times newspapers or watch a week’s worth of ABC Canberra news and note down how many non-Canberra stories appear in the first three pages or five minutes. Compare to the similar outlets in any of the big five metros and you will find it’s plain wrong.

I started my career at 2GN Goulburn and also worked at 2XL in Cooma. I can tell you that in reality not much happens in these towns. I can also tell you that many people in Goulburn watch Illawarra television just as readily as Canberra.

As someone who watches 9 News Canberra from abroad, it appears there is a decent coverage of Queanbeyan issues.

I also lived for many years in Tuggeranong; a satellite city in the ACT of 85,000 people. Now, I could argue that “Tuggeranong” may as well not exist, because they don’t mention it every night on the Canberra news. The same might be said of Geelong, Campbelltown or Loganholme.

News is about prioritising reports of events that have happened in an order that appeals to the broadest audience. Admittedly 9 Regional is under resourced and is produced outside of its viewing area, which puts it at a disadvantage, but given WIN is now branded as “Canberra Region” I think we can forgive Nine for focusing on its main viewing city, just as Darwin, Gold Coast and every metro market does.

3 Likes

Story on a house fire in Brisbane to open the regional QLD bulletins tonight.
Poor choice for opening story in my opinion

3 Likes

a house fire that’s killed 3 people

3 Likes

Yes… but a similar thing happened locally a few months ago, and it was not mentioned on the National or Brisbane news bulletins.

Just because it happened in Brisbane, doesn’t mean it’s any more important than if it happened in NQ.

Sure, cover it in the bulletin, but it shouldn’t be the first story of the day

2 Likes

Brisbane reporter Joel Dry is co-anchoring with Sam in Queensland from Wednesday to Friday this week.

3 Likes

Wasn’t recording, but saw a minor error on 9 News RQLD tonight during a live cross to Yeppoon.

Looked as though someone wrote the text in the wrong boxes.

The small box at the top where the location is normally written said “MISSING CHOPPER”, while the super at the bottom of the screen said “YEPPOON”.

2 Likes

@Lexington Why don’t they continue with the keyed backdrop with the two-way boxes? Even for the cross to sport?

Presumably because all live crosses on Nine News regional bulletins go to the whole market and for whatever reason, it’s easier to have a generic backdrop behind the presenters during the live crosses.

Video was uploaded to 9 News CQ Facebook page.

3 Likes

Whoops, someone pushed the button too early.

Local window just started mid-story, while someone was being interviewed and was mid-sentence.

I’ve seen worse on NBN.

One time, they had REPORTING in large font on the top line, and the reporters name in small font underneath!

2 Likes