Nine News Local

could you do me a favour and slow down, take a breath… then use some grammar and a spell checker so I can make sense of what you’re trying to say.

3 Likes

I hope this translation helps, @lexington

In my opinion, fellow users of Media Spy, 9 News Regional Victoria is a lost cause. It seems as though they are only producing local bulletins because they have to by government decree. Taking this into consideration, the fellows over at the Nine Television Network are only giving us five minutes-worth of local news in the - to use the correct technical terminology - “windows” designated for such content.

This conundrum is disappointing if, like myself, you find yourself living in a town located on the fringe of two local television broadcast areas that receives two opposing signals into their television unit.

It seems to me as though 9 News Regional Queensland is the more superior of the Nine Television Network’s local news services. I do so heartily wish that Prime7 Television produced their own local news service in my home state of Victoria.

13 Likes

jolly-good-quite-right-you-are-old-sport

9 Likes

much better. thank you.

and poor Jason is learning of the plight befallen the Southern Cross license… where it has only ever been noodle updates. This time, however, Nine have jazzed them up a bit and splashed some marketing cash to get the good folks excited.

2 Likes

SC pretty much had no choice. They couldn’t sell the whole site in Lonny as it was worth less than the cost of moving. They had to compromise by downsizing, converting a portion of the site into offices. A smaller studio was essential if the shed is to come down - but the real estate revenue more than covers the cost of this. And the news is a top rater in Tas - so it’s a sound business move.

I agree Nine could have done better with the budget they spent, but the obsession with having local photos in the background will always mean the set looks cheap and limits camera movement.

I enjoy watching Nine News Riverina. We have a great set a reporters based in Wagga and the packages are quite slick

1 Like

With the bushfire situation in Tathra, surely I can’t be the only one who thinks Nine News Southern NSW/ACT really should’ve been broadcasting a special edition (rather than relaying the Sydney coverage) last night?

4 Likes

same with 9 news western victoria re the bush fires in south western victoria

5 Likes

Fair point, I probably should’ve mentioned that too.

With Peter Overton apparently presenting Nine News Sydney from Tathra tonight, I wonder if Vanessa O’Hanlon (the Nine newsreader viewers in that region will actually be watching tonight!) will also be there. Although I somehow doubt this will be the case, I personally think Vanessa really should be down in Tathra if the Sydney newsreader is!

2 Likes

Their should of least had noodle updates last night. Prime7 had Craig Moore in at one stage to do weather updates but made no mentions of the fires in the south west. Wasted opportunity

1 Like

*There

No news today so far from 9 News Illawarra and 9 News Canberra on Twitter and Facebook. Waste of time following them to find out the latest info.

2 Likes

Really? Did the bulletin end up going to air or is it just from Sydney?

The Illawarra bulletin went to air as normal, with Vanessa O’Hanlon presenting in the studio.

4 Likes

Nine are highly unlikely to provide SC with a dedicated “on location” bulletin when they are not required to do so.

It should also be noted that NBN News have never presented a bulletin “on location” either, and have never even done a live cross outside of the immediate Newcastle area.

6 Likes

Ditto with 9 news Darwin.
A category 2 cyclone made a mess of their whole city… they really should have had the local bulletin airing instead of relayibg Brisbane

6 Likes

Paul Taylor now features in the promo endtags for QLD and Darwin.

1 Like

How Nine News SNSW/ACT covered the Tathra bushfires yesterday, Many thanks to @Zampakid for sending me the clip :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A helicopter has crashed near Hamilton Island late this afternoon.

Nine News sent Mackay-based reporter Nick Kelly to Airlie Beach (closest mainland location) for a live cross which aired at 6:38pm.

It’s an approx. 1.5 hour drive to Airlie Beach from Mackay, so I can only assume the reporter would have jumped in the car as soon as the story broke.

Around 6:25pm Paul Taylor did mention they were “waiting for an update on the breaking news”.

Really good effort from the team IMO.

9 Likes

I’ll raise you a ‘They’.

1 Like