Nine News Local

Sunshine Coast only weather (no Wide Bay) -seems to have started on Monday. Tonight, however, was the first night that the weather was not the last segment of the news.

5 Likes

IMO, itā€™s better then a mic without a flag.

1 Like

Itā€™s unlikely that too many viewers will recognise a reporter from a rival channel on the news bulletin that they normally watch.

Itā€™s a unique talent that is usually reserved for Media Spydom.

8 Likes

Paul Taylor still presenting again tonight, for the 4th night in the row.

While Jono is a great presenter, Iā€™m actually thinking Sam and Paul are an even better presenting duo, IMO. Iā€™ve really enjoyed having Paul as co-anchor this week.

7 Likes

Iā€™m surprised that after years of reading Win News QLD news they only relegated him to sports, definitely should be reading the news.

7 Likes

I disagree. Much prefer Jono

1 Like

Each to their own :blush:

I donā€™t know what it is about Paul, I just think he is much more comfortable in the role than Jono and has a better on-air chemistry with Sam than Jono does as well.

I think Jono would be better as the weekend anchor of the Brisbane news.

6 Likes

Nine could probably do a lot worse than having Paul & Sam as the regular presenters of the Regional QLD/Darwin bulletins with Jonathan Uptin presenting the weekend editions of Nine News Queensland, but I do wonder where thatā€™d leave Darren Curtis. Also, how would Darwin viewers feel about ā€œtheirā€ newsreader leaving the weeknight bulletin?

1 Like

Of course, I highly doubt weā€™d ever see Nine making this move, for the reasons youā€™ve stated.
I just feel like, IMO, itā€™s a different scenario to currently that Iā€™d personally prefer. Others may disagree, of course

1 Like

Probably replace Paul on weeknight sports :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Deer in the headlights live onā€¦

Jonathan Uptin will be stepping down from the regional bulletins to anchor the weekend Brisbane news:

No more Jono on [Darwin] weeknight news.

No replacement has been announced.

2 Likes

I asked Jono on twitter and he said the positions havenā€™t yet been filled so itā€™s a case of wait and see.

1 Like

I knew it wouldnā€™t last long. No way Nine wouldā€™ve moved someone to present a bulletin they clearly have no respect for (dumping it from live and local to presented in another state) and not want him doing other things.

Bang for buck and all that.

6 Likes

I would have Paul Taylor and Sam continue to do local news for Queensland.

However, I really think they will need a local to anchor the Darwin News (only would need to be a solo presenter). They could move the plasma from the Brisbane set (used to be used for the weather) and present from thatā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t think QLD will have two presenters when NSW and VIC have one.

They brought Jonathan down to move him to QTQ, but baited Darwin-ites by claiming he was still doing NT news.

12 Likes

I actually wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if Nine continued with two newsreaders for regional Queensland, especially knowing what theyā€™re doing for the 6pm news in Brisbane/South East Queensland, the 5.30pm Gold Coast bulletin and what Seven is also doing because of Nine (even Sevenā€™s local news for regional Queensland has two presenters in most markets).

Although Iā€™m pretty sure Nine arenā€™t the only network thatā€™s tried that sort of trick before as part of the centralisation of regional TV news production/presentation.

3 Likes

I REALLY hope this is what they do.
Paul and Sam are great together, and Iā€™d love to see them presenting the news together permanently.

The move for Jono is great for his career, but I feel like thereā€™s little point in even airing a Darwin bulletin with him gone.
The bulletin already is extremely QLD-focused (for obvious reasons), but Jono was the one thing that kept it relevant for Darwin.

With him gone, I can only see the Darwin news ratings dropping further.

4 Likes

and I would have paul murphy do sports

Seeing as he doesnā€™t have a voice over or even a super, does anybody in Brisbane have any idea who he is?

It seems Paul Taylor is replacing Jono on the local news:

1 Like