Nine News Local

depends. do they like the big fat deposits appearing in their bank account?

1 Like

I can’t see Jono removed from the local news completely because he is vital for their Darwin audience.

Perhaps he will just drop one night and work a six-day week?

So in this case, would Jono work Saturdays (or Sundays) in addition to RQLD/Darwin news, with maybe Darren Curtis doing the other day?

If this was the case, they should try and get Sam to do six days as well to cover the other day Jono doesn’t do. It’s a win-win all-round.

Of course it’s not going to happen soon, but who knows?

Nine News Sydney is been shown due to the Illawarra bulletin having technical problems.

8 Likes

Video is currently uploading

10 Likes
9 Likes

It would’ve been nice if Pete welcomed regional viewers to the Sydney bulletin when they were seeing him due to technical difficulties!

5 Likes

Sydney and Melbourne viewers weren’t acknowledged by the “host” bulletins when both cities had their own bulletin failures and had to momentarily take the others bulletin (on separate nights fortunately) last year, so they are unlikely to acknowledge Wollongong viewers (Peter Overton probably didn’t even know it had happened).

4 Likes

That’s new, it was reported when Nine Regional started that the Canberra bulletin (like NBN Newcastle) would be “100% live”.

There are two benefits to this, one being that you have something to go to air if there is a ‘tape fail’ in any markets. Better to have Canberra news on air in Wagga than a blank screen.

Second being, having to pre-record all windows just adds to the pre-6pm workload for no real benefit.

3 Likes

Canberra was 100% live initially on Nine. Apparently it isn’t now? I presume you work for Nine and have the inside track.

Why did Nine Illawarra cut to Sydney mid-bulletin then?

Not overall workload, but the pre-6pm workload. As you know, presuming you’re there at Nine, it’s a busy time. Why add pressure to lock down four windows when you could just do three?

A fundamental skill of broadcasting is ‘timing out’. Newsreaders do this all the time and there are plenty of tricks used to hit your timing mark, including having filler script (“hmmmmm, some amazing pictures there from the zoo in California”) or adjusting the ad break length as required.

Very early in my career I was a radio panel operator on the John Laws Morning Show. The show went out to 30 or so networked stations which all had to time out according to the whims of John himself and also hard time markers such as news. My station dropped in local news updates, of course loads of ads, played out our own news theme over the 2UE news, you name it. It’s all doable.

I’m really surprised Nine doesn’t make one of the four bulletins the ‘anchor’ version, and all other windows simply need to time out to it.

Generally a reader’s pace will not vary a huge amount - a few seconds either side at most. You will notice networked radio news from Sky, for example, is always exactly three minutes long - this doesn’t happen by accident, the reader reads to time. If they stumble half way or have a cart fail, they need to adjust accordingly at the end to hit their time mark.

As you know, even the most basic news software will time scripts to the second and broadcast journalists are time managers first and foremost when they are on air.

An example of this is in the case of former ABC weather presenter Mike Bailey - he was very famous for being able to time his weather segment to the second - and adjust his delivery live accordingly to hit his time marker.

5 Likes

So was yesterday’s problem just with the Illawarra bulletin, or across all SNSW bulletins? The video gives the impression all markets would be affected.

Don’t know about the others, but Victoria has petrol watch graphics which are an obvious time adjustment factor for the local break outs.

This happened during the ad break…

13 Likes

Looks like the 9News.com.au microphones have made their way to Regional QLD.
Saw one used on the Townsville bulletin tonight too.

6 Likes

I could understand them just adding news underneath the 9 logo, but what’s the point of having their web address on there when it’s so damn cramped it’s hardly even ledgible most of the time. Pointless

2 Likes

free publicity on every other network running that presser.

interestingly some news directors insist on the dynamic mics being used in these situations to get the mic flag in shot - when the shotgun mic is far superior at cutting out background noise…

you gotta be seen to be at an event or your not there, one news director told my source once.

6 Likes

Jono having the night off in QLD tonight.

Sam is presenting the bulletin alongside normal sport presenter Paul Taylor.
Paul Murphy is filling in on sport.

1 Like

Not sure if this is a new thing, or just because of wild weather in Townsville today, but Nicole Rowles is presenting a Townsville-only weather report tonight instead of the usual Cairns/Townsville combined report.

It is WAY better than the normal combined report.

@TV.Cynic did you see what happened on the Sunshine Coast bulletin?

Also, after sport and the throw to weather, we went into the ad break, and the ad break returned straight into the local weather report.
From there, after the weather, Paul has gone into finance and the “Budget special” report before they both said their good nights and the bulletin ended.

2 Likes

There used to be prizes at certain media companies if an opposition news channel had your mic flag in shot (given how cameramen often try to frame other flags out) or if it got into the newspaper.

7 Likes

I know the use of mic flags with logos by media outlets (which has been happening for as long as I can remember) are all about branding and getting as much exposure as possible, but I wonder what the prize would be for a reporter if they managed to get their face very clearly seen on a rival channel or in a newspaper photo? :smiley:

4 Likes