Nine News Local

Go easy. Poor bloke has waited a year for a call up to the big leagues.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say going from sports presenter to news presenter on the same regional bulletin is
stepping up to the ā€œbig leaguesā€.

Going to a metro bulletin is much bigger leap.

4 Likes

Why canā€™t they get Danielle Post to fill-in? Itā€™s not like she isnā€™t known in the regions.

3 Likes

I was exaggerating somewhat.

How about I rephrase to ā€œpoor bloke has waited a year for a call up to the anchorā€™s roleā€

12 Likes

Mike Lorigan did OK for what I assume is his first time presenting a news bulletin. Not a Peter Overton by any means, although thereā€™s certainly been worse fill-in presenters than Mike Lorigan used for Sydney TV news bulletins over Summer 2017-18!

Also while watching that clip I noticed that reporter Georgia Anderson has switched from Prime7 Tamworth to Nine Illawarra.

Didnā€™t Danielle Post gone on leave or something fairly recently?

Presuming that Danielle wasnā€™t available, I personally think Natassia Apolloni (who Illawarra viewers might remember from her time as a reporter at WIN, not sure about the other regions) wouldā€™ve made a great fill-in newsreader judging by her presenting of the Sport. Arguably, Natassia might even make for a better permanent newsreader of Nine News Southern NSW/ACT than Vanessa Oā€™Hanlon!

5 Likes

Iā€™d say itā€™s an achievement in any case - heā€™s covering a similar population to Adelaide (I know, slightly smaller). I think he did well.

2 Likes

I canā€™t believe it hasnā€™t already been mentioned but one year ago tonight, Nine News Canberra (the first of the 15 regional bulletins to be rolled out) went to air for the first time:

YouTube credit: Media and Transport Channel/@Abesty

260 bulletins later, what do Canberra residents think of Nine News Canberra? Would you say the news service has improved since Day 1?

8 Likes

While i canā€™t comment on the Canberra bulletin (since i live in Young), i say the Riverina/Central West reports and very high quality, the reporters are slick and smooth, production high value, Vanessa, Mike and Gave are great ā€¦and iā€™m not just saying this 'cause i have an agreement with Channel 9 Riverina

2 Likes

Certainly having Nine come to town has had an impact in local media generally (in SNSW). Prime saw it as a kick up the bum and made some significant investments to their news team. WIN unfortunately is the $2 shop of television and just keeps trotting out the same standard of television it has used since the 1980s.

What I like to see on Nine regional is live crosses and story-sharing across markets. One example is the zookeeper who was attacked at Mogo Zoo on the South Coast and was airlifted to Canberra Hospital (early Jan) - covered nicely by Nine. News isnā€™t defined by television market borders and no other broadcaster has the set up to cover this kind of story live.

Itā€™s one of the few benefits of the current Nine set-up and Iā€™m guessing we will see more of this. That kind of story would count towards local content ā€˜minutesā€™ for both SC and ACT markets, so itā€™s very efficient.

4 Likes

Pretty major glitch to start the Reg. QLD bulletin.

No headlines during the opener.

Sam and Jono read the first story, about Barnabyā€™s Baby.

The story had been on for about 20 seconds when suddenly we cut to a still shot of Jono in front of the Cairns backdrop.

We had that for about 5-10 seconds before the 9 News sting appeared and we went into the local window - obviously meaning there was no explanation or acknowledgement of the technical error.

2 Likes

Looks to have been statewide problem

5 Likes

Which local window is read live, or does it vary?

I donā€™t know for sure, but my guess would be Darwin due to the timezone difference (so they have a bit more time to finish editing packaged reports etc).

1 Like

I was under the impression that Canberra, Western Victoria and Far North Queensland are the regions to get their local content windows presented live.

3 Likes

Makes sense considering those areas were launched first in each state

1 Like

Blooper that occured before the weather.

7 Likes

Iā€™d say that Local News is done through the automation system too?

I thought the blooper ten minutes into the bulletin was much more concerning.

Lorigan introduces the story: ā€œNine News can tonight show you the faces of three people accused of sexually abusing children at a circus school in the Blue Mountainsā€¦ā€. Story starts and the first image to appear on screen is the face of Geoffrey Rush, the image having ended an earlier story on his defamation case against News Corp. Oops.

14 Likes

I think the reputation of the Nine News brand is certainly taking a hit on many fronts, not just the very average quality control of the regional bulletins, but constant automation failures on the metro bulletins (particularly Sydney), plus some questionable content eg, Aldi stories.

This would have been unthinkable back in the Hendo or Naylor days (except for maybe the time that the lights went out on Hendo and he made the quip about having to put another 20 cents in the meter). :blush:

6 Likes

In the unlikely chance I ever get the opportunity to have a chat with a news director of any TV network, thereā€™d probably be quite a few questions Iā€™d like to ask!

Re, the paid-for stories from companies like Aldi and Officeworks: I actually think the likes of Lofthouse, Downes, Overton and Hitchener should be more proactive and speak up against that type of thing. If I was any of them, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d really want to present a news bulletin with intros for those type of ā€œreportsā€.

3 Likes