Nine News Local

The Blooper that occurred last night (29.11.2017):

Apologies for using a camera to record this

7 Likes

When I was at journalism school, we were taught to write numbers as words in caps, as well as proper nouns. A short intro might look something like this:

ANZAC CROWDS (Intro): ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND people gathered in CANBERRA today to mark ANZAC Day. Prime Minister MALCOLM TURNBULL addressed the crowd, praising the efforts of servicemen currently serving in the MIDDLE EAST. Our reporter SAM BAILEY was there.

6 Likes

Nine News Regional Producer Amanda Bennett presented the weather tonight as Nicole Rowles is away.

She was FAR FAR better than Nicole IMO.

3 Likes

I was going to post the extact same thing. She reminded me a little of Rosanna Natoli on Seven.

Sam said Nicole was on holidays.

1 Like

Illawarra bulletin last night - 40 minutes due to cricket:

Looks like there was technical problems at the end. They promised Gavin’s weather after sport but then returned and had news headlines, finance and finished. The closer graphic appeared for most of the segment underneath:

4 Likes

Memo to Nine News Illawarra: St George is the unofficial name of a group of suburbs in southern Sydney. St Georges Basin is a town on the South Coast of NSW almost 200km from Sydney. The “s” was left out in Vanessa’s script and the story caption. Can’t believe they’re still getting basic place names wrong eleven months after the introduction of the “local” bulletin.

5 Likes

Google tells me there is a St George Basin on Kimberley coast in north west Western Australia. That’s a long way away.

Pretty bad that the weather forecast wasn’t shown. At the very least, Vanessa should’ve said something among these lines:

You get the general idea.

3 Likes

In the Sydney news if the weather presenter is unable to do the report for some reason the news reader always does the weather instead. I’ve seen it happen when an outside broadcast for the weather has unexpectedly failed, and the newsreader has had the script on standby ready to go. These regional bulletins are still a stain on the Nine News name.

4 Likes

You mean like this?

Well, she must’ve learned from Pete back when this occured.

1 Like

This should have been clear in the script from the filing journalist. Hard to know where the blame lies, but clearly there is nobody to check.

I think there would be a case for having a news producer for each bulletin based locally - an expense I’m not sure Nine would bear at the moment.

However, I’m still not convinced their story mix is right for a non-Sydney audience and this certainly has an impact on ratings. Day-after-day their headlines just don’t resonate.

1 Like

Now that the cricket has finished early, it will be interesting to see how this affects local content levels (given that Nine Sydney and NBN are now doing a 60 min bulletin tonight, instead of 40 mins as they have been doing the last couple of nights).

As on NBN for instance, the last couple of nights has seen the local news window cut to 4 mins instead of the usual 6 mins.

Wonder if they have been planning for 4 or 6 mins tonight, and whether they can adjust to expand with the bulletin?

1 Like

The NBN local window tonight was 5 minutes.

That’s interesting.
A few days ago when we had a 30 minute bulletin in QLD due to cricket, the local window was still the same length as normal.

1 Like

If NBN has local windows during weekend bulletins, they can make up their local content points then, so less reason to worry on weeknights.

1 Like

Filming for next year’s new promos has commenced in Melbourne and Sydney:

11 Likes

So what’s going on there then? Green-screening regional presenters onto the metro sets?

I would guess that they’ve just got the regional presenters on the metro sets for promotional shots.

Aside from that, it’ll be interesting to see if the regional bulletins have any fill-in presenters over Summer. Probably goes without saying that Christmas Day (which this year is happening on a Monday) will be one the regional editions will take off in favour of just screening the metro news that night though?

1 Like

Why not just use the actual set then?

Isn’t that obvious?

Because the metro news is using the metro set from 6pm-7pm.
The regional news can’t also use it at the same time!

3 Likes