Nine News Local

6:41pm… story posted on Facebook “55 mins ago” (i.e. 5:46pm QLD time), even though the local window started at 6:06pm.

1 Like

Story sharing happens from time to time between Riverina/Cbr/Illawarra on SC9. Especially anything to do with the Hume Highway!

TCN and NBN have been sharing stories for years.

Prime7 shares stories a lot.

News is news and big stories are still big stories. More of this please!

1 Like

That’s good to hear.

Some NBN markets are not so fortunate by comparison (see NBN News thread).

1 Like

A random thought I had, but bear with me…

Let’s say in theory (ignoring the current unlikelyness) that Nine Adelaide started producing two regional SA bulletins (one for GDS/BDN, the other for SDS/RDS) at the same time as the east coast. Would Adelaide be a good candidate for moving a full Darwin bulletin to over Brisbane?

Distance-wise, DAR-ADEL is comparable to DAR-BRIS with only a 200km difference (would mean little in the digital and TV realms). Adelaide would also be far more similar to Darwin than the bustling sensationalist Brisbane (but still very different). The time zones are also synced throughout April and September (not sure whether bonus or not). The SA bulletins would hopefully be less eastern-centric due to central location.

4 Likes

The only flaw I can see in your plan is that I can’t see NWS ever producing a bulletin for regional SA simply because the advertising returns would be too small (based on the east coast model that Nine and SCA are using).

Aside from that, I agree that Adelaide would be a better base for a Darwin bulletin than Brisbane for the reasons you mentioned, plus Adelaide AFL sports news would be of more interest to Darwinites than the NRL news out of Brisbane.

3 Likes

I did say in theory, recognising the unlikeliness of such a scheme. Just a harmless thought experiment. On the plus side it could’ve saved Darwin from Brisbane’s Aldi-mania on weekends :joy:

Though it is interesting to note that (based on 2016 figures) the Darwin TV1’s 122k population was roughly equivalent to GTS/BKN’s combined population of 132k. But yes, NWS would not have the revenue (or perhaps even the studio space) to allocate to a regional bulletin.

2 Likes

The model we are seeing emerge here with SCA is regionals ‘outsourcing’ their local news requirements back to the metros in exchange for ad revenue. It makes sense for the local news to be on the highest rating network, so if that were Nine in the Spencer Gulf, I could foresee SCA ‘paying’ Nine to produce a local bulletin for them. Given that SCA owns all TV feeds in that market, I don’t see why they wouldn’t consider switching their news to Nine if the ratings aligned.

Though for now, my money is on GTS/BKN news moving to Launceston in the New Year. They have the ability to read it live there (though I’m not sure they would) and it’s SCA’s only functioning TV newsroom and studio. I’ve noted before that Perth’s news on Ten was read from the Sydney studios for years for similar reasons.

2 Likes

SCA television are still recruiting for newsroom jobs in Canberra, a vacancy for a journalist to produce and present news updates closed yesterday.

No doubt. But the Canberra building will be demolished soon - so they will need to move GTS news somewhere. Why wouldn’t they move it to their only operating studio?

Before this happens, they still need people at CTC to produce news where it is currently made for markets like Darwin.

Thought this was an interesting article from September 1989. Back in those days, CTC Canberra’s Ten News attracted 92,000 viewers! There were only 4 other channels to choose from, but my god how things have changed.

2 Likes

Yes, it certainly took a long time for viewing habits to change after aggregation.

I think it took about 10 years for WIN News to start to sneak ahead of TEN Capital News At Six.

If only CTC/Capital had the Nine affiliation since aggregation (which they do now under Southern Cross Austereo), then I think today’s Canberra news bulletins across all channels would be quite different to what we have now.

I agree, CTC would probably be more like NBN today if it has aligned with Nine.

The interesting thing is, even if you total ALL viewers at 6pm today watching the three main commercial channels in Cbr, you get nowhere near 92,000 (it’s about 50,000). Also worth nothing, Canberra’s population was about 100,000 people lower - fewer people watch linear TV at 6pm.

Pre-internet the 6pm news was more of an event, it was the only way to see moving pictures of what had happened that day. From memory (it’s had a stop/start history) there was not a full bulletin on ABC Canberra in those days. The other thing to consider is, people would have flopped in front of the news because there weren’t as many viewing options (aside from your 5 weeklies for $5 from Videoville).

2 Likes

It was only about 3 years before WIN was second/first depending on the evening. As hilarious as it sounds today, a lot of people stayed with CTC because it was on VHF 10 and 7 and had a clearer signal in the outer suburbs. Took people a while to get a proper UHF aerial. This was mentioned a lot (especially by Prime) as a reason for poorer ratings.

2 Likes

Some minor technical issues:

5 Likes

A major local news story broke at 5:40pm this afternoon.

At 6pm, the opener to 9 News NQ had been re-recorded so the first story covered in the headlines was “Breaking news… “.

National politics to start, then the story was covered at 6:03pm during the live statewide section.
They also successfully managed to remove any mentions of the story from pre-recorded local window without effecting the runtime.

6 Likes

Central West last week:

5 Likes

I see that the Aldi disease has made its way down South again…

1 Like

Not good, and not different!

1 Like

Just now on 9 News Reg. QLD:

Jono: “We’ll tell you where in the … southeast to find the cheapest Christmas ham”

Even Jono paused and recognised how stupid it was to mention “the southeast”.

7 Likes

Reading the exact same script being used by the Brisbane presenters.

5 Likes