Nine News Local

Video.

Also check out the audio quality - it always seem to me that there is an element of background noise or echo - see around 1:22. It was very noticeable one night when it was raining at Mt Coot-tha.

3 Likes

I only got home from work at 6:15pm tonight so I missed the start of the bulletin, not sure if NQ got the live cross to Warwick.

1 Like

That was a very fast wipe to the studio, or has it been altered by the uploader to make the montage shorter?

Not altered.

The SNSW bulletins now have two blocks of local news.

In the first segment up to the ad-break as normal and the same now in the third segment. In the playoff to ad-break at the end of the third segment they promote an upcoming local sports story.

Montage of Canberra on Monday night, however my recording missed out the end of weather and the closer:

6 Likes

Two blocks?

Does this mean more local news, or has it just been split into 2 smaller segments?

2 Likes

If it is, it’s a good decision. Spreading the news across the bulletin a bit more helps balance out the stories and keep “localness” throughout. One chunk of local news (however large) then nothing makes it seem like there’s less local news; spread it out a bit and it’s a much healthier blend.

3 Likes

This hasn’t always been the case. Composite bulletins have been produced (on-and-off, obviously) in regional Victoria, Canberra, Illawarra and Newcastle since videotape and satellite made it a doddle in the late 70s.

What makes news ‘newsworthy’ is a universal truth - does it interest, impact or influence the viewers. The hierarchy and time devoted to each story can then be allocated accordingly.

There is no such thing as a ‘metro viewer’ and ‘regional viewer’ - as indicated by the ratings. By that I mean there is no evidence to suggest that “100% local news” rates better in the country. In fact 7 Sydney news does very well indeed in Canberra, Newcastle and Wollongong.

I agree that Sydney people believe they are the centre of the universe, but this is precisely why a producer for each of the 9 Regionals should be based outside the big 3.

3 Likes

No, they don’t, but people outside Sydney erroneously think that. I’ve known a lot of people over the years whose dream it is to get out of Sydney, move north or out to a country town - if they thought Sydney was the ‘centre’ they’d never leave. Of course a lot of people love the place, as does Nine.

1 Like

What we have here is a matter of opinion. I lived for years in Sydney and now I don’t - my opinion is that Sydneysiders do have a higher regard for what happens in Sydney.

2 Likes

There appears to be an extra story with the two block method, but it seems the regular amount is split between the two blocks.

Here is a montage from tonight, there was no local sport window:

6 Likes

People who live in any capital city (not just Sydney, although it has to be said that it’s newsrooms in this city who often dictate what makes news on a national basis) are centred around where they live.

I completely agree. A producer for the regional editions of Nine News probably should be based somewhere in Regional Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT and Regional Victoria rather than Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne.

2 Likes

Presumably with limited success if they have not stuck around (apart from Newcastle). Also worth noting Victoria is where the new bulletins have had the least negative feedback.

But that deosn’t mean that a particular story’s “newsworthyness” is universal. A story may be far more newsworth in Sydney than Newcastle for instance.

I never made such a claim.
I was refering the expectation of viewers - and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that rating will be strong when viewer expectation is met (or exceeded).
When viewers are told to tune in for an hour of comprehensive local news, they are likely to be put off when they only get a little bit of local news.
The same bulletin would fare differently if viewers were told to tune if for an hour of all the day’s news INCLUDING local news.

1 Like

Alas, the majority were network Ten affiliates post aggregation - so they were victim to the poor ratings of the parent network (Bendigo, Cairns, Canberra, Coffs Harbour spring to mind) - nothing to do with the news mix.

Exactly, totally agree - as that’s the point I was making.

I know you didn’t.

How do you explain the dramatic drop off in WIN news ratings since the Ten affiliation?

Agree - this is down to the EP’s story selection.

1 Like

Firstly, I made a typo and that should have read “stronger” rather than “strong”.
There are many different factors affecting WIN’s News ratings - most notably the shift in time weaker lead-in.
Secondly, viewer expectation is probably still not being fully met. If WIN were to have better quality reporting and more stories they would get more viewers.

At the end of the day, both formats can work.
30 minutes of purely local news will work and rate well if it is well reported and covers stories that are actually of local interest.
30/60 minutes of a consolidated bulletin will work if stories are relevant.
I don’t advocate for either format - they are different and viewers will be best served if they have access to both formats (provided they are of suitable quality).

1 Like

So, just for reference, in regional television 30 minute local bulletins failed on Prime in Canberra, Illawarra, GC and Newcastle (just for starters) - and 60 minute composites failed at every Ten regional affiliate (and at Prime in Canberra). None of the failures had to do with stories and reporting and everything to do with network ratings.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Great to see them spreading the local stories out a little.

With minor Sydney traffic or crime issues still in the first block!

something strange has been going on since monday with the 9 local news here in victoria . there now doing a 15 mins block of melbourne news and doing a 5 or 6 minute block of local news

1 Like

I noticed that the local window was further in but I did not notice by how much I thought it changed on a day to day basis. I just don’t understand if they are running it later why not run it into the first commercial break