Nine News Local

Very poor audio on the Sunshine Coast regional news tonight with a lot of background noise at some points. I’m thinking it was rain at Mt Coot-tha during the recording of the various segments. There must not be enough sound proofing in the cupboard.

While Brisbane opened with breaking news from the High Court, the regions had to wait until after their local news was finished to receive that news (live) as the pre-recorded opener was about the head-butt.

6 Likes

Opportunity to compare the weather info tonight given that the region had just received heavy rain and thunderstorms with the possibility of severe winds and hail with more to come.

Nine viewers in the area, of course now have to rely on the regional bulletin as there is no Brisbane bulletin. All the references to rain and storms were “earlier this afternoon”, very vague and provided no real useful info IMO. Seven’s local weather had slightly more info but it was WIN that had the most local info with mention of hail just to the south in Brisbane suburbs. WIN and Seven have the advantage of better coverage in a Brisbane bulletin. WIN viewers had the opportunity for comprehensive coverage from Josh Holt at 5:55pm.

3 Likes

It’s actually less than 10km line of site from the broadcast towers to Flinders St.

I take it you’ve not worked with microwave uplinks

Yes, I know, I brought the topic up. Also mentioned a zoom lens.

OK.

Haven’t seen this dodgy SCA produced promo again since I initially posted this, so wanted to provide some more info about it from what I can remember.

The promo started with the 9 News North QLD logo animation as shown during the news opener.
Then moved to a slowed down shot of Samantha in the big Brisbane studio (as seen on the promos before the bulletin launched), with a blur effect over the vision and some local business logos present with the V/O saying something like “Nine Local News North Queensland is proudly sponsored by…”

The 9 News North QLD animation from the opener then played again (with V/O talking), then back to the blurred Sam in studio shot with the word LOCAL across the top of the screen, and the word “NEWS” underneath, swapping to “SPORT”, then to “WEATHER”.

Then the 9 News North QLD animation played a third time as the V/O mentioned something about “Nine Local News”.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Not the first time i’ve seen this on the NQ Facebook page :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Brisbane’s kidding me. :man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2::man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Live cross to Darwin for first story after the local window.

Story about flights to Bali from Darwin Airport.

1 Like

Watching 9News Mackay this evening and of course comparing with 9News Canberra (which I last watched the other week):

First thing was it started weird with how long the (9News) title card is up with just theme music playing (as others have said); they really should re-record the intro with presenters names, hopefully soon.

I can see why NT viewers were perplexed as there’s no names on-screen either; it’s bizarre, lazy, & foolish as Nine shouldn’t make it harder than necessary for viewers to feel connected with their ‘local’ bulletin (it being presented from >1000 km away, for many viewers).

After that, the overall presentation is better than the Sthn NSW equivalent, including noticeably the theme music ending properly before each ad break instead of the lazy fade out heard in Sthn NSW, and the Qld presenters are better than Vanessa.

The sports cross is still suffering with the separate shoe-box studio issue, but despite that the banter there was good.

I’ll say it again: Per-story backgrounds need to be added, at least for the stories that air across a bulletin’s entire viewing area.

PS: (Again as others have said) the end of the sport segment is still a bid odd without a direct cross-back, and had the fade-out music too, both presumably because of it being part of the pre-recorded local sport segment.

Seeing the bulletin to the end, it is so much better. Not many Brisbane stories (although I may have mentally tuned some of them out as all of the ‘local’ news isn’t local to me!).

6 Likes

Weather seems to be done in front of a different screen this week compared to previously in QLD.

Colours are different and all the graphics appear to be larger than they were previously.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know why people in Canberra likes watching Vanessa and Nine News ‘Canberra’. Full of Sydney stories, lazy editing and handovers and so many things makes the bulletin cringeworthy.

Sure, Seven News Sydney is also full of Sydney news (and no Canberra news other than Federal Parliament that makes the cut), but at least it is promoted and branded as Sydney News. A Canberra-branded bulletin should not have Sydney-centric stories, although there are certainly no brains at management at TCN to understand this.

2 Likes

No, Brisbane stories are usually pretty rare… there was only 1 tonight that I noticed, which had Andrew Lofthouse at one of the train stations.

1 Like

I don’t think many people ‘like’ watching 9News Canberra; it rates well because it’s the only combo local-national-international bulletin at 18:00, that’s it.

And that train story was reasonable to air elsewhere given it was more a story & warning about falling onto the tracks when pissed, and it had video (which of course is so valued by TV news).

I know the chances of this happening are fairly unlikely, but production of the Southern NSW/ACT bulletins really should be moved away from Sydney.

Heck, even having the Southern NSW/ACT bulletins produced from NBN in Newcastle (like the weather segments are) would probably be an improvement on the current situation.

I agree.

If Prime7 had it’s own composite bulletin of local, national & international content during the 6pm hour, I personally think it’d give SCA Nine a very good run for their money in the ratings.

4 Likes

Yes they really should do the Sthn NSW one from Canberra but if the Darwin change shows us anything it’s we’re more likely to see more centralisation, including the Nthn NSW bulletin production moving to Sydney when TCN’s new studios/facilities are ready and NBN moving to a new (smaller) location.

1 Like

Nine Victoria can have their local news presented from Melbourne with not as much problems as the SNSW/ACT bulletins. I mean, you don’t see QLD viewers from Ayr near Townsville complaining about Seven local News when it’s actually produced from the Sunny Coast.

4 Likes

True.

Maybe Nine need to start by changing who is in charge of producing/directing the Sthn NSW bulletins, putting in someone who has lived in Sthn NSW (further south & west than Wollongong, perhaps at least 100 km away?), and so hopefully such a person would have a better understanding of what should be of interest to the various regions.

Another thing will have to be creating more local stories, and as has been said here before how hard is it to replace Sydney stories with national & international stories?

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s better produced and a higher quality bulletin than Win and it’s got local news which is better than Prime.

Nine Canberra’s rundown is a mess as others have said with many stupid stories that are not relevant at all to the audience. Vanessa isn’t great. No personality, can’t change her tone or expression from story to story, keeps making simple mistakes and they use the same script as the Sydney bulletin so it’s ‘today in the city’ or ‘the transport minister’ when referring to Sydney things.

The sport presenter and the photo they use on the bad key is the best bits about Nine Canberra.

3 Likes

I think the reason they don’t complain is more likely because 7 do a good enough job of making it seem local that 95% of viewers don’t realise it’s not produced locally.

6 Likes

I think this was the previous screen.

4 Likes