Nine News Local

Luckily Sydney dispenses with ‘Sydney’, and there’s only one newsreader.

4 Likes

They could always cut out the location and just have “This is Nine News, with [presenter 1] and [presenter 2].” Works for Sydney and Melbourne (and old Darwin), so no reason why it wouldn’t for Brisbane. I’ve always disliked how they play the VO and cut immediately to the presenters instead of a panning wide shot like every other metro bulletin.

For the local bulletins, the location is already listed on the title card that they cut to before the studio. No real need to state it three times (start headlines, end headlines, VO).

Besides, how long are the ones for Seven News?

“Live from our Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane headquarters, this is Seven News with [presenter(s)].”
“Live from our Surfers Paradise headquarters, this is Seven Gold Coast News with Rod Young.”
“Across Central Queensland, this is Seven News with Rob Brough and Joanne Desmond.”

9 Likes

They could just take a leaf out of Prime7’s book

2 Likes

Could they also build proper regional sets and have movable cameras? :joy:

3 Likes

They did back in 2012:

7 Likes

Also in 2011

and before that in a different order with National Nine News

2 Likes

“Live from 50 Cavell Avenue Surfers Paradise, this is Nine Gold Coast News”

4 Likes

I don’t see a problem with this.
Remember that not too long ago, we used to have
"This is Ten Eyewitness News, First at Five, with Sandra Sully and Hugh Riminton"

3 Likes

This is what it should be like. No idea why they would’ve got rid of it.

2 Likes

I agree. They did use a Super in late 2012/2013 when they got rid of the VO sometime in August… then the super was quietly removed sometime in late 2013.

2 Likes

Live cross to the QTQ Newsroom on 9 News Reg. QLD tonight… can see Andrew Lofthouse on the TV in the background!

Quite a lot of stuff happened here in Townsville over the weekend - was interesting seeing them cram so much stuff into the local window.

6 Likes

Watched a little of 7 News NQ tonight to compare to 9 News - it was really interesting tonight compared to normal as both bulletins aired the exact same stories.

On 9 News NQ tonight we had 2 stories and another 5 studio VOs covered in the 6-minute local window.

Every single one of these was also what made up tonights 7 News bulletin, as well as one extra stories that was also shown on 9 News during the statewide segment… it’s just that 7 News had all those stories stretched out over 14 minutes rather than 6 minutes.

First time that I’ve watched both to compare and seen them show identical story selection.

4 Likes

Another odd weather cross tonight.

Sam:
“Nicole’s up next, and is there rain ahead to ease the dry conditions?”

It’s been raining all day today across the Cairns and Townsville regions… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Why does Sam keep reading these ridiculous intros when she’s aware that they are often factually incorrect?

Just say “Nicole is up next with all the day’s weather” and avoid the issue altogether.

7 Likes

6-anchorman-quotes-burgundy

12 Likes

I suppose occasionally there are plus points to the Jo Hall school of newsreader banter.

5 Likes

Ok thanks Moe

10 Likes

SCA doesn’t own any up-link masts or broadcasting towers with views? I was under the impression that line of sight was required for broadcasting. Web-based feeds are decent enough for the the purposes of a backdrop, which shouldn’t be in clear focus anyway. Drop-outs or birds sh1tting are the bigger concerns.

The masts here have line of sight well above McDonalds over to Mr Stuart.

townsville

2 Likes

There’s no way a camera affixed to the top of those masts looking towards Mt Stuart would see anything other than the post/logo of the big M sign out the front of McDonalds.

The McDonalds M is directly in the line of sight between SCA and Mt Stuart, and the M is mounted up about 3x the height of the SCA building.