Nine News Local

I wonder what Darwin thought of the stories tonight, opening with a disagreement over a parking place in Surfers Paradise; a cross to discuss the “strict no bags policy” outside a concert in Brisbane and a cross to outside a court hearing a murder case at Gatton.

2 Likes

Good to see at least something from SC9 on the news channels.

3 Likes

I agree. they are finally airing evening updates too. even though they play the each markets update on repeat 20 times.

12 Likes

10 Likes

13 Likes

Wasn’t recording, but just saw a local “See It First” promo for 9 News showing recent local stories. Sam was shown presenting, and on the end board. Jono not shown at all.

1 Like

Uploading a Sun Coast version now

2 Likes

Followed local update.

8 Likes

The same Update played over and over:

Darwin Montage:

7 Likes

The only thing is that it appears that Nine are leading all bulletins with an national or international story, allowing the first story to be read live. This would allow them the flexibility to insert major news live when needed. I personally support this, but would definitely follow it with a local story (which seems to be the norm).

1 Like

While I do see the reason behind showing the first major story live… The major local stories for the night are already being shown straight up on 7 News and WIN News bulletins.

You can’t “see it first” on 9 News if you don’t start the bulletin with the major local stories. Doing so, also hooks viewers into the bulletin with the local issues that affect them opening the bulletin.

Additionally, they can say “Good Evening, first Tonight on 9 News North QLD…”

It also stops the unnecessary situation like what happened tonight, where there was nothing major going on nationally, and the bulletin opened with an irrelevant Gold Coast story.

3 Likes

Promo shoot.

10 Likes

I’m sure Darwin residents will love to hear about fires “in the state’s north, east of Cairns” when the bulletin airs there in 30 minutes time.

6 Likes

A bit too matchy matchy and ‘on brand’

2 Likes

I guess technically the Northern Territory isn’t a state, though hopefully that won’t cause too much confusion, but yes, it would be better for it to be referred to as “Queensland’s north”.

But then NBN News has been sayng “our state” etc for the last 25 years when they broadcast into the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

Afternoon Updates,

7 Likes

“Wild wind” is the big local story today with local radio reporting on power loss and scrub fires along the coast.

The problem with a composite bulletin is it is hard for that to be the number one story. Instead will it be the guilty verdict in a murder trial in Brisbane? How will that compare to 7 Local News and WIN News? If you’re interested in the fire/power situation which TV news would you tune into?

3 Likes

IMO they should really start with…

1. Local and ‘generic regional issues’ before coming back together to do an ad break.

2. Move on the national stories (if there is a major breaking story it will be first with local news pushed to after the break, the national and international news sections later in the bulletin are shortened to accommodate this).

3. National and international sports after another break

4. local sports after an ad break

5. Going to recap of headlines and local weather.

In terms of live crosses, there should be live crosses for the national and international news stories, as well as one cross per night on a rotational bases for all regional centres.

Suggestions?

4 Likes

I agree in essence, but I think that the rundown needs to be a little less set in stone.
I think some days that there is a need or relevance for a state-wide story to come in the first block, or even as the headline story - examples being state elections, major political news, major disasters etc.

I would make the first block consist of all local stories, plus one state/national story - but have that state story included in the pre-recorded local block so that it can take a different place in the rundown for each region. Maybe even make that state/national story optional, so that it can be included in the local block if necessary, but can also come after the first ad break at presented live.

I would also pre-record the local block for all regions, so that there is the flexibility to go live to one region at the last minute if necessary. If for instance there is a major story that relates to more than one region, then it would probably be major enough that it wouldn’t be out of place going out to all regions.

So that would essentially make 4 different options that they could run with:

(State story means a story the whole state gets - so could be State, National or International)

6 Likes