Nine News Local

I wonder how they will handle it if/when occasions arise where the Queensland bulletin is 30 minutes, but the Darwin bulletin has 1 hour window still due to timezone difference - such as after a sporting event.

Maybe Darwin will also run 30 minutes and then a 30 minute filler program.

5 Likes

Interesting to compare the list of stories from the final local bulletin and the first streamlined bulletin. Balance appears to be more or less equivalent for both sets of Darwin bulletin.

@NQCQTV2 How many of those FB complaints quoted above were from the local-less weekend versus tonight? Still a huge shame that there is no weekend Darwin bulletin though.

9 Likes

Not to mention that they have no competition (ABC doesn’t count - not the same timeslot and not a commercial network) nor do they have any obligation to produce any news at all. They’re lucky they’re still getting anything if you ask me, if Imparja purchased the station as was rumoured to happen some years ago they would have lost local news years ago.

Better a semi-pre recorded bulletin produced interstate than nothing.

1 Like

All except for 1 or 2 were posted tonight.

1 Like

Ah. Less a critique of the streamlined bulletin than the loss of weekend news. It wouldn’t be hard for Nine to do, the newsroom and studios are already operating for the weekend metro bulletin anyway.

An interesting comparison of social media penetration between 9 News and 7 News locally.

You have to remember that Nine News North Queensland started only a few weeks ago.
9 news has only 1k likes, compared to 58k for 7 news and 21k for WIN news

According to this thrice repeated news update tonight for the Sunshine Coast, there was “a dramatic rescue in the Glass Mountains” :expressionless:

2 Likes

Well, there’s another thing that Nine News should do: REPLACE MIKE DALTON!!

It’s better off checking with the actual channel themselves rather than looking at a third party site.

Imparja’s Official website shows “Nine NT News” scheduled for 6:30pm EST on 9Gem.

4 Likes

An even more interesting scenario might be when there is a day/night cricket ODI or a Test or from WA.

Will Darwin be forced to take the bulletin at 5.30pm local time (6pm QLD), or will Darwin still take the cricket whilst regional QLD takes News, and take the new Regional QLD/Darwin on delay at 6pm NT time?

2 Likes

It seems like the montage was “unlisted” and can’t find it directly on the Youtube channel.

VAST finally airing updates.

6 Likes

Seeing the complaints about the bulletin format from the Darwin residents - as well as comparing @Nick’s rundown from last week to the week and seeing that both feature the same amount of local stories.

I thought, how could the bulletin be improved without changing the stories.

Therefore, I made up this mock showing my suggestion of how to improve the bulletins progression and “local feel”. (It’s a little off at times as I was working with the footage available, but the general rundown is described below).

I’d have the bulletin open on a local window, giving the opportunity for the presenters to say “Tonight on 9 News Darwin”… etc.

6 markets feature a pre-recorded Local Opener with 2 local stories. While another market receives a live cross of 1 major local story with Sam, and another features the same with Jono (one of the presenters from the “sport studio”).

Markets receiving the live cross would change each night so each market gets a chance.

Then I’d move into a small selection of the major national stories before going to the normal weather preview and ads about 5-8 minutes earlier than currently showed.

Return from ad break with a short 20-30 second pre-recorded local VO story, before continuing live with 3 national stories, and ad break.

Return from ad break with another 2 minutes of local window, featuring 1 more story, local fuel check and then run a localised recap of major stories shown. Continuing on with 3-4 minutes of national stories.

Cross to sport around 6:30 bringing it closer to the start of the bulletin and making the bulletin feel like it’s had a decent mix of local/national in the first 30 minutes. Ad break.
Sport continues as currently, few national sport stories, then local, then cross back to Sam and Jono for throw to ad break.

Next segment features a heap of topical national based stories before again recapping local stories covered and showing local footage for the weather cross.

Last segment of bulletin continues as currently with finance and weather.

Using this modified rundown:
Pre-recorded local segments could be recorded in one big lot, as currently, but split up with to spread the local stories out across the bulletin and make it feel more local rather than just a little local at first, before being an entirely national bulletin.

9 Likes

Whoops - just saw a blooper on 9 News Reg. QLD.

Between 2 live crosses, the backdrop accidentally showed the “Jonathan” half behind Sam with a big black/blue box evident… Sam’s audio also dropped briefly.

(Caps coming).

1 Like

Minor Blooper on Nine News Illawarra tonight:
Local Windows failed to play and went straight to the ad break.

UPDATE:
Local Windows played after the ad break ended.

4 Likes

Live cross started as normal:

Wrong super:

Super stayed on screen beyond live cross into next story:

Backdrop changed to “right-hand side” section (normally shown behind Jonathan):

Backdrop corrected just before next live cross:

Live cross split-screen stayed on screen for longer than it should have:

Finally back to normal:

5 Likes

Fixed, it was accidently unlisted when uploaded:

I’m not in Darwin anymore so can’t do anymore montages :disappointed:

8 Likes

That was obviously a state wide thing. I’m sure regional viewers appreciated the live cross to Brisbane! The cross also ended with 6 or so seconds of reporter Tessa Hardy staring at the camera saying nothing. The second live cross was also to Brisbane.

Brisbane also had a similar live cross

4 Likes

I’ll try do one after WIN News Tasmania is over :slight_smile:

1 Like