Nine News Local

Vanessa O’Hanlon is presenting the weather tonight.

2 Likes

Major blooper during the closer of Nine News Illawarra…

9 Likes

And yes, it’s very risky making very generalised weather forecasts as well… It would be rare that the weather forecast would be similar from Toowoomba to Port Douglas, let alone the same temps, since it’s such a vast area, some of it tropical, some not.

NBN used to make odd statements at times too eg. “sunshine in the north, high cloud in the south”. The “south” being Newcastle and Central Coast. We have never otherwise been in the “south” for anything.

3 Likes

Yes exactly.
Only a few nights ago when Sam was crossing to weather she mentioned “we’ve got a cold snap ahead for the weekend”.

The local forecast that followed made no mention of a cold snap, and in fact, the 7-day outlook at the end showed temperatures increasing. No cold snap to be seen.

4 Likes

Oh viewers, why don’t you stop thinking just about yourselves; why aren’t you interested in the weather where the 9News Qld presenters are… in Brisbane? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Another generic weather intro tonight.

Sam: “We’ve got some rain ahead this week, Nicole joins me now for a check of the weather”.

7-day forecast appears on the weather report with 7 sunny icons.
Nicole: “Mostly fine weather ahead this week, no showers at this stage”.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

I’ve done a comparison tonight of story rundown on 9 News and 7 News in Townsville.

I didn’t include any of the sports stories, just the stories covered in the start of the bulletin.

Overall:
9 News had:
3 Full Local Stories
1 Local Story read from the desk

During the first 18 minutes.

While 7 News had:
4 Full Local Stories (1 of which was covered in Sport on 9 News).
6 Local Stories read from the desk
During the “news” section of the bulletin.

9 NEWS

TIME STORY LOCATION REPORTER
6:01 Dean Mercer Accident Gold Coast Tessa Hardy
6:03 Property Fire Bushland Beach (Townsville) Roanne Boldery
6:04 Ice Drug Seizure Charters Towers Roanne Boldery
6:06 Clive Palmer QLD Nickel Townsville (Desk Read)
6:07 Mountain Car Accident Mt. Stuart (Townsville) Roanne Boldery
6:08 3-Year Old Shot Sydney Gabrielle Boyle
6:11 Pub Brawl Gold Coast Sam Cuchiara
6:13 Texas Flooding Texas, USA Robert Penfold
6:15 Cross-River Rail Brisbane Shane Doherty
6:17 Weather
6:18 AD BREAK

7 NEWS

6:00 Clive Palmer QLD Nickel Townsville Lauren Cooney
6:02 Property Fire Bushland Beach (Townsville) (Desk Read)
6:02 Ice Drug Seizure Charters Towers Amelia Adam
6:04 Mountain Car Accident Mt. Stuart (Townsville) (Desk Read)
6:04 Kirwan Tavern Assault Kirwan (Townsville) (Desk Read)
6:05 Helicopter Powerline Work Garbutt (Townsville) Amelia Adam
6:06 Palm Island Mumps Palm Island (Desk Read)
6:06 Adani Protest Mackay Georgia Terry
6:08 AD BREAK
6:11 Police Incident Garbutt (Townsville) (Desk Read)
6:12 Child Wire in Eye The Strand (Townsville) (Desk Read)
6:12 Rodeo Hervey Range Callum McPherson
6:13 Cross To Sport
6:14 AD BREAK

Note: The Rodeo story at 6:12 on 7 News was covered during sport on 9 News.

6 Likes

Just caught most of the 1st 20 mn of 9News Canberra, and the disappointment continues… no noticeable improvement.

Still irrelevant Sydney local stories (and so early in the bulletin), and the presentation hasn’t improved:
Still no per-story backdrop, duplicate wording in on-screen text, a NSW politician labelled “SPORT MINISTER” instead of “N.S.W. SPORT MINISTER”, “ACT POLS” for an ACT politics story (and Vanessa’s reading seems about the same).

PS: 18:34 and we get a quick look at the Sydney radio ratings, WTF!? Who cares?

6 Likes

That’s pathetic, especially when Southern NSW/ACT doesn’t even get the Sydney radio stations!

How about talking about the current radio ratings surveys in Canberra (when they’re released, of course) Nine?

If anything tonight seems worse than a few months ago. Just bizarre.
Maybe Nine have gotten even lazier after winning the ratings.

1 Like

Except for the Illawarra region, where the Sydney stations can be received in many parts.

When I was in Canberra nearly two weeks ago, WIN was my #1 choice for local news at 6pm, followed by ABC News at 7pm. It seems I chose wisely on my viewing habits whilst down there. :wink:

1 Like

Embarrassing. This is ‘Canberra’s No.1 News hour*’

*Between 6-7pm

Maybe Canberrans don’t actually mind seeing Sydney news reports?

After all, 7, 9 and 10 News bulletins from Sydney have been aired in Canberra for many years since aggregation.

They are probably used to it?

There’s nothing wrong with Sydney news reports airing on Canberra news bulletins, provided that they’re relevant to the audience. From the posts I’m seeing here, it seems Nine are airing local news stories from Sydney that would be irrelevant to a Southern NSW/ACT audience.

A while back whilst trawling through The Canberra Times archives, I’ve come across some interesting advertising for Capital’s Ten News in Canberra from 1990.

13 Likes

In tonight’s generic weather cross “Nicole’s here for a look at … how long the cold snap will hang around.” Something to do with cold overnight temperature “across the state”. Not sure what Townsville made of that with overnights of 16 or Cairns with 19 overnight.

6 Likes

Yeah, once again I was like :roll_eyes:

Checking on BOM, only 2 markets are having below average temperatures at the moment, the Toowoomba market and the Sunshine Coast market.

The other 5 markets are currently having above average temperatures!!

4 Likes

I wonder who writes the script “In Bundaberg tomorrow it will be just 24o

5 Likes

Self proclaimed. Seven News beats it anyway.

Probably Angie Asimus. Whenever Sydney dips below 20, the J word comes out.

3 Likes

jammies?

1 Like