Nine News Local

I have to disagree with you; (for 9News Canberra/Sthn NSW) replacing irrelevant Sydney local stories (including a bunch that started the bulletin tonight & after the first break again, argh!!!) with irrelevant local stories from elsewhere in the country doesn’t fix the problem.

International news is preferred, at least if they choose stories with some interest, and they can also play a full report for a story that may have just got the short voice-over only thing on the Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane bulletins.

Sorry I should have been clearer - obviously any “local” stories taken from one of the 20 or so 9 Newsrooms around the country need to have some “national” interest. For example some dramatic footage of a road rage incident in Cairns or Perth is still a good news item for the SNSW bulletin.

A new shopping centre opening in Bendigo or Rockhampton is irrelevant for a SNSW bulletin yes, I agree. But a massive weather story with good vision or abducted child story from either market would be good content.

4 Likes

By way of comparison, I would call NBN News frustrating to watch rather than a chore.

A big problem here is the expectation: Despite what some at Nine & SCA are saying it is not local news; it’s a composite 9News bulletin, as it should be.

I agree that an hour is a bit long, but I thought that about 9News Sydney (as well as 7News) and Ten Eyewitness News at 17:00, so it appears I’m in the minority thinking that 30 mn was long enough for a composite bulletin.

I think the single/same background behind the presenters for the entirety of the 9News regional bulletins makes them appear more boring & like a chore compared to 9News Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane.
It might not seem like it should make such a difference but I think it definitely contributes to making watching the entire bulletin feel more like a chore.

9 News Canberra is winning the ratings from 6.00pm to 7.00pm in just half a year of being on air.

14 Likes

Not mentioned in that tweet: How ABC News Canberra rated during July, even if that bulletin technically isn’t in direct competition because it airs at 7pm.

Somehow I suspect that ABC News Canberra is still the true ratings winner when everything is taken into consideration. But if Nine News Canberra is indeed outrating even the ABC’s 7pm bulletin, I would be pleasantly surprised.

4 Likes

Fantastic result for Nine Canberra - think how stronger if they made a few tweaks to cut the Sydney centric content and advertised the bulletin more around town.

Re ABC, it’s clear Nine aren’t competing with them. Beating Win would surely be enough but also cleaning up Prime is huge. Surely it’s time for them to think about upping their local content.

10 Likes

Nine must be congratulated on their success despite the initial lacklustre product. Seven probably should start Seven News Canberra soon (with Natalie Forrest at the helm).

4 Likes

Since the new Brisbane set has been used (this week) I’d noticed that the weather on our bulletin had been much more zoomed in on Nicole, and the colours on the graphics seemed a lot more washed out than previously.

Since then I’ve seen this on Nicole’s instagram page, showing that she now appears to present it in front of a TV screen, hence the noticeable changes.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine Prime7 (a prominent complainer about the current media laws for more than two years now) being entirely happy at the prospect of Seven-produced local news services at the moment!

However I do think the major networks producing news services for the affiliates is probably where the future of TV news in regional Australia is heading.

I’m quite interested to know if Queensland’s weather segments are now being recorded/airing in native HD or if they’re still being shown in upconverted SD.

1 Like

They still look the same to me, honestly.
I’ll have a closer look again tonight.

On a different note, it looks like the Rockhampton backdrop was originally slated to be a dodgy picture of a bridge. Glad they changed it before the bulletin launched.

This was taken last week before the official CQ launch:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXFRzlGAI_9/?taken-by=samanthaheathwood

5 Likes

Took me a moment to realise that the chair blends with her dress, and not that she became fat overnight :joy:

8 Likes

Just had a technical difficulty on 9 News Reg. QLD where the weather preview with Nicole didn’t play.

I have a feeling someone in the control room forgot about it, as the theme music started to play while Sam introduced the weather check… then she stayed on screen and apologised and moved on to the “Coming Up” as the theme continued to play.

On a similar note, does SCA stuff up the ad timing during 9 News in other states?
In QLD, the entire time we’ve had the new 9 News bulletins, every single ad break starts about 1-2 second into the actual ad, meaning they always start mid-sentence.

3 Likes

Whoops!
Whoever runs the 9 News CQ Facebook page has gotten a little over-excited tonight.

This was posted on their Facebook page showing a story from tonight’s sport local window, 10 minutes before the cross to sport had even aired on TV, let alone the actual sport segment or local window!

7 Likes

Fantastic result, but not convincing. Let SCA beat ABC News before claiming it as “Canberra’s No.1”.

Wow, I’d have expected they’d wait until daylight savings before making that sort of mistake, or is this Nine showing where the future of TV is? :wink:

@TV-ACT - Agree the one backdrop for the entire bulletin is part of the problem.

Not sure why they don’t use the local backdrops for the open and local segments, and then use story driven backdrops for the rest of the bulletin.

Also open with a wide shot.

It just needs to be mixed up a bit.

Thye also need to be running promos (like the Gold Coast new services) saying “9 News is part of the Central West. If you see news happening - shoot in on your phone and send it to us via Facebook. An dif there is a story to be told in your city, town or suburb we want to hear - send us a Facebook Message. 9 News Central West”

I don’t think anyone will overtake ABC in Canberra for news ratings - they are around 30,000 a night where as the other guys sit on 16-18k. So that is a sizable lead.

Perhaps Canberra is just a news junkie town. These 30k that watch ABC News at 7 - what are they watching 6-7pm?

Probably Prime, Nine or WIN News…

(and not Restoration Man on ABC)

It’s just come 7pm, Canberra has little interest in Home and Away or ACA - so they switch to MORE news on ABC.

And when you consider it’s a very high income, educated, political town - it makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

It’s an ABC town.
Even Radio National and Classic FM rate their socks off there at 11% and 9% respectively…
That’s about 3 to 4 times the audience they get in other regional markets.

1 Like

Jonathan Uptin to leave Darwin

3 Likes

Surely this can’t be correct?

1 Like

They don’t need to beat ABC to be a success. As others have said, Canberra is an ABC town and that’s not going to chance. They only need to be #1 at 6 to sell their ads at a premium.

5 Likes