Nine News Local

So it seems that the weather is being split into “North”, “Central” and “South” forecasts for Regional Queensland? I did notice that Rockhampton was mentioned in the forecast that aired during Nine News Mackay, so presumably both regions will share the same forecast next week when Nine News Central Queensland launches.

5 Likes

Yeah, that appears to be the case. They’ve grouped Cairns and Townsville together, and now Mackay and Rockhampton markets have been grouped together for weather as well.

They probably will, but hopefully they don’t group all 3 remaining markets together with each other, there’s a heap of cities to cover across the Wide Bay, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba markets, I don’t see it being a good idea to group all 3 together.

Similar to with the NQ weather updates at launch, there were quite a lot of issues with that Mackay report, plenty of locations missing that BOM provides, and a spelling mistake on a town name as well. I sent a message in to Nine News regarding these errors, so I’ll be watching again tonight to see if there are any improvements.

3 Likes

Of course, my stupid laptop decided to restart itself and do a Windows Update at 6:54pm, so completely missed the Mackay weather to check for the updates :triumph:

2 Likes

I am presuming all the 9 Regional promos are done out of Brisbane, take note of the Emergency Services chopper shot used in the promos.
The Emergency Services helicopter shown is either based in Townsville or Cairns. Mackay, Rockhampton and Wide Bay have either RACQ Rescue or Lifeflight. Given that the rescue services provide video of their rescues, local people would be aware that the helicopters shown in the promos are not "local."
Also, there’s a shot shown in each promo of a fire truck and a 9 crew - note the Santa in the top right of frame, are they getting in early for Xmas or was it shot last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIg39KH_VdU (Mackay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT3wE4fncIc (Wide Bay)

That shot just before the endtag was probably filmed sometime in November/December last year.

And it’s actually not even from anywhere in Queensland - it’s of Fairfield in South Western Sydney! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah, that is the EMQ chopper, based here in Townsville.

Found this comment on the 9 News North QLD Facebook page:

Again highlighting viewer confusion about the format.

Does the viewer not understand that this is the point of these bulletins? It is called “Nine News North Queensland” for a reason…

4 Likes

I think they mean it has stories from Cairns as well which is “Far North Queensland” not Townsville only.

3 Likes

They don’t because in the lead-up Nine & SCA have been calling them “Nine local news”, which sounds like the old-style local-only news 7 & WIN do.

Nine & SCA should be clear about these being composite bulletins, like the capital cities get.

6 Likes

Exactly, all over Facebook, on SCA’s radio stations, and even during the bulletins themselves, everyone keeps calling it “Nine Local News”.

Queenslanders have had “7 Local News” for decades, until it was renamed recently, where they’ve tuned in to see local stories only.
So when 9 launches a bulletin and starts calling it “9 Local News”, viewers are expecting the exact same thing they’ve seen from 7 for years, not realising at all that this is a composite bulletin.

Getting national stories in a bulletin they expect to be “9 Local News” is confusing viewers, and pissing them off, causing them to not tune in.

3 Likes

Some changes have been made to the Mackay weather report, with more locations added:

3 Likes

Video of the 9 News Mackay Weather and Closer:

YouTube link

Looks as though Nicole’s clicker stopped working towards the end there.

2 Likes

I suspected as much as I didn’t think that Bing Lee stores were in Qld.

Agree, the promos and information pushed out to the market needed to be much clearer:

“NOW - A NEW ERA IN 9 NEWS”

“A FULL HOUR OF LOCAL NORTH QUEENSLAND NEWS, STATE, NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL NEWS - ALL IN ONE BULLETIN”

“FROM AROUND THE CORNER IN TOWNSVILLE - TO AROUND THE GLOBE IN LONDON - ALL THE NEWS YOU NEED - IN ONE NEWSCAST”

8 Likes

Does the Cairns/FNQ bulletin also cover stories from Townsville? It would be interesting to see how different, or indeed similar, the NQ and FNQ bulletins are.

I highly doubt it.
The story selection is very localised.

In fact, since its launch, i don’t recall a single Cairns story airing in Townsville yet.
We’ve had one from Mackay last week, one from the CQ market area tonight, and about 3 or 4 from the Wide Bay area, but overall the bulletin is entirely Townsville/(other locations in this market) stories, and national/international stories, we rarely hear about any of the other markets covered by these bulletins.

The original comment about “general NQ” stories I think is more directed at the fact that 9 News NQ has featured quite a few stories already from smaller outlying towns like Charters Towers, Ayr and Bowen into the local windows. The original commenter was not happy about this, but I disagree and think it’s a credit to the 9 News journalists who’ll travel to these areas to cover stories outside of the Townsville city area. By contrast, 7 News is hyper-local on Townsville and rarely mentions anything from small towns in the market.

4 Likes

Oh no, not again! :sweat_smile:

Agreed. Not everything is about the regional cities, smaller towns and areas in each sub-market get this bulletin too and Nine seem to have taken this into consideration.

1 Like

I totally agree. Although my geographical knowledge of these areas is limited, I can see that QLD viewers are getting a better deal than NSW viewers did when Nine’s regional news launched down there.

My query was purely based on tv.cynic’s comment about the NQ bulletin featuring Cairns stories. The real issue is, like others say, Nine/SCA’s failure to promote this as a composite “one stop shop” service for local, regional, national and international stories of relevance to local QLD viewers.

What’s the deal with Ayr (near Townsville)? I totally missed the reasons why it’s mention has became a inside joke here!!

1 Like

Good to hear that they are more local than what NBN is doing in some markets.

In the Central Coast window on Tuesday night, there were 4 reports. Only 1 was local.
The others were from Newcastle, Coffs Harbour and Lismore.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen NBN do more than 2 local reports in a 6 minute local window anywhere, except in Newcastle. There is almost always at least one out of area report every night in every market except maybe Newcastle. Same with voiceover items.

1 Like