Nine News Local

cracks knuckles, opens up Paint

5 Likes

ā€œSubtleā€ā€¦ now thereā€™s a word you donā€™t see on Media Spy much :slight_smile:

5 Likes

:joy:

flags post as inappropriate

Iā€™ve only noticed this once the QLD bulletins launched, but would there be a particular reason why all of the bulletins use a generic title card with the local region name pre-headlines, then the local imagery title card at the end transition?

1 Like

The generic title card should be used for the national bulletins IMO.

News Preview shown during Hot Seat yesterday

Comparison of 9 News and 7 News last night, this time comparing each bulletin as they air, rather than by story introduction.

Click here for the 9 News/7News comparison

Following the ad break, 7 News covered 3 more short/minor stories before going to sport.

Facebook page is finally live after nearly a week on air:

And on Twitter, the previously unbranded ā€œ@9NewsNorthQLDā€ account now includes the branding weā€™ve come to expect from regional Nine News Twitter accounts (logo, link to 9News.com.au, etc.) but no tweets yet.

The national bulletins use a generic cityscape card. It certainly looks a lot more interesting than the regional generic card.

3 Likes

A ā€œblink and youā€™ll miss itā€ frame spotted w/Andrew and Melissa at 0.33. I missed those moments, especially those from Prime7 down south.

2 Likes

ā€œFrom the bottom to the top of the ratings in Canberra within 6 monthsā€

Is 9 News Canberra winning the ratings now?

4 Likes

If itā€™s true that they are #1 now, then thatā€™s certainly impressive!

4 Likes

Yeah Im wondering the same.

If thatā€™s true, I wonder if Nine News Canberra is the #1 bulletin in the market overall or just in the 6pm-7pm timeslot.

Nine News Canberra even outrating ABC News at 7pm would be extremely surprising.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll be shocked if it outrates ABC News (19:00); they must be talking about 18:00 - 19:00, but Iā€™d like to see the numbers. Hopefully itā€™s not just a one-off win (pun unintended).

4 Likes

Yes, and very quick to opt away at the start too, almost cutting Eddie off. I notice the opt into the news at the end of HotSeat always seems a bit premature too. Whether this is deliberate (due to the dirty feed) or just timing issues I donā€™t know, but it looks clumsy on air. A quick fade up and down would look better on air than this cut - almost a crash - in and out of the dirty feed.

What is the reason Nine donā€™t provide SCA with a clean feed, like they used to with WIN? Is it SCAā€™s choice so they donā€™t have to worry about playing out their own PRGs etc? Was it a dirty Ten feed before the affiliation swap?

I believe that prior to the affiliation change, SC10 used a dirty feed from Ten (including all the metro PRGs and watermarks, etc.) for well over a decade.

As for the reasons why SCA tends to use a dirty feed from Nine, probably just because the channel is branded on-air as ā€œNineā€ and not ā€œSouthern Cross Nineā€ or anything special like that.

4 Likes

And @Si-Co, prior to the Kylie Blutcher-era of Nine-ification, NBN Television got the only clean feed from Nine (no watermarks, at all) with fade in and fade out transitions to make sure 99.99% of playout wonā€™t get a Sydney/Brisbane slip, especially for the news bulletins and updates.

3 Likes

Interestingly, Iā€™ve recently watched a YouTube video of a late night movie recorded from BCV Bendigo (Southern Cross Ten) from 1994, when the station was still branded Southern X , and the SC PRG and Ten PRG play out on top of each other! The station took a dirty feed from Ten overnight, so I assume on this occasion the feed was dirtied too early, or something.

But I digress. This has nothing to do with Nine Regional News. Apologies!

1 Like