Local Window Basketball #1 Townsville
Local Window Basketball #2 Townsville
AD BREAK
Live FINANCE
Live Call Centre Investigation Brisbane
Live Dutchess 70th International
WEATHER
7 Likes

It will be interesting if Nine Live eventually phase out ’ now let’s see what’s coming up on Nine News at 6pm ’ as half of Queensland will have Local News eventually!

I hope they do.
That segment aired as is in Townsville this afternoon, and was nearly completely pointless!

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. Here in Sydney we still get the pre recorded ’ right now though here’s a look what’s happening in tonight’s news at 6 ’ so I’m guessing that’s what QTQ will have to do.

1 Like

Yeah, a cross to Overton/Gardner/Knight wouldn’t really work on Nine News Sydney at 4pm when approximately 2.5 million regional NSW/ACT viewers get either O’Hanlon or Lobb/Beyersdorf at 6pm.

5 Likes

Gold Coast already gets a different news message during Hot Seat - too much trouble for multiple regional versions?

2 Likes

You mean the supers for 9 News that popup during Hot Seat?

Not surprisingly, those were from the dirty feed, so contained the Brisbane headlines for today, not the NQ ones!

1 Like

9 News v. 7 News Local stories comparison

7 News:

• PM Defence Force Ruling (covered as National story on 9 News in 2nd block)
  • Live Cross regarding ^^ with local spin on story
  • War Games (covered on 9 News in 3rd block)
  • QLD Wetland Study
  • Fire Permits
  • Property Flipping (“7 News First”)
  • ----Ad Break----
  • High School Mental Health Talks
  • Heritage Day Rescheduling
  • Cluden Park Race Day (covered on 9 News in 1st block)
  • —Ad Break----
  • Sport:
  • Cowboys (covered on 9 News in sport)
  • Townsville Blackhawks (covered on 9 News in sport)
  • Soccer
  • Basketball (covered on 9 News in sport)
  • —Ad Break----
  • Weather

Local 9 News stories not covered on 7 News:

• ID Scanners
  • LNP Terror Measures
  • Underwater Museum
  • Hit The Hill (This is a major local event, amazed 7 News didn’t cover it)

Overall Local Stories Covered (News/Sport):

• 9 News: 10 stories
  • 7 News: 11 stories

It has been quite interesting to compare the two, they’ve both covered nearly entirely different things from each other.

Overall, 7 News obviously had more local stories, but 9 News really wasn’t far behind considering it’s a composite bulletin.
7 News had the bonus of a live cross, but that is completely out of the ordinary, and definitely only done due to the 9 News launch.

There were certainly a good chunk of stories 9 News missed that 7 News covered, but also similarly a good chunk that 7 News missed and 9 News covered.

Overall, they were actually quite close in my opinion, I wouldn’t be able to say one was an obvious winner, but I’d say 7 News was slightly in front of 9 News in general.
Though one thing that was good today with 9 News was that the story about the Australian killed by police in the US could go up first, as I felt that was far more important than any other local story, and that’s something that 7 News obviously really missed the mark on here.

7 Likes

No - Nine GC viewers see Bruce Paige et al do a “coming up”.

See https://youtu.be/Jmd0MxQLaw8

2 Likes

9 News v. 7 News comparison

(Click image to view video)

5 Likes

Aside from the horrible “set”, that actually looks quite polished IMO.

5 Likes

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good too, apart from the set. Though the “set” chroma key image didn’t look too bad in HD on my TV, compared to the SD quality of 7 News and WIN News.

Unlike complaints from other states (particularly NSW), I was impressed at how little Brisbane was mentioned.

Unfortunately, the general comments I’ve seen/heard out in the NQ community today have been largely negative, not surprisingly, due to the fact people were expecting “Nine LOCAL News” (as was continuously advertised :roll_eyes:)

One complaint I heard was of viewers tuning in and seeing an “American story” first up and turning off straight away, which is disappointing.

I also saw many comments on Facebook of people saying things like “how is America relevant to Townsville local news”, and another from someone complaining there was no local news whatsoever (I’d say they possibly tuned in after the local windows had finished).

2 Likes

I noted last night that the regional service in NSW ran the full ABC News US report on Trump’s record low approval rating in the first block but Nine’s Sydney bulletin only saw fit to have Overton read a brief explanation of the development.

3 Likes

Hot Seat News preview was a blank screen again tonight!

3 Likes

I was planning to do a 9 News NQ v. 9 News SEQ comparison tonight, but my internet is going so slow tonight (1 Mbps) that the 9 News SEQ stream isn’t working properly :frowning:

4 Likes

A 9 News “Special Investigation” for a new Brisbane food company aired in NQ tonight, even telling viewers that to join they’d need “to get a food licence from Brisbane council”.

Not good!

4 Likes

Would it be too much hassle to get a clean feed of HotSeat, if there are news supers not relevant to regional viewers? Or could SCA even play it out themselves?

What happens in NSW and Vic - do regional viewers there get SYD/MEL supers instead of regionally appropriate ones?

Off topic (sorry) where are PRGs added - at QTQ9 or SCA? Just wondering how they handle the (few) regional variations from QTQ when the PRG or ECP states what’s on next.

The item regarding the Australian woman shot in the US was not really suited as a 7 News Townsville lead story. If the unfortunate lady had come from North Qld then yes, however 7 News Brisbane covered this in their national bulletin at 6:30.
ID Scanners were covered comprehensively the previous week in Townsville, as was the underwater museum. The latter was obviously shot on Friday and held over by 9 until Monday.

Many times a Brisbane-centric PRG or pop-up promo has been seen on SC9 e.g. Hit105 pop ups during True Story.

And by 6.30, you mean the edited first segment portion that ran in SEQ at 6.00.

1 Like