Nine News Local

Did you happen to record that refreshed weather segment at all?
Would be good to see the full presentation now that it’s updated, if you happen to record it that is :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not just what the audience wants; there are licence obligations to provide local content, and what - in the long-term - makes sense for Nine & SCA, including showing federal politicians that Nine is serious about providing news to regional viewers, so they’ll be more likely to relax ownership restrictions such as the reach rule.

While a local-only bulletin could meet content obligations it is cumbersome for the Nine schedule (yes I know about the Gold Coast, but that’s a special case given the proximity to Brisbane & so that bulletin being more relevant); 90 mn of local + state capital city news is too long, it requires more resources to fill 30 mn of purely local news, often there just aren’t that many noteworthy local stories and that may be part of some viewers’ dislike/disinterest in ‘local’ news such as WIN News or Seven’s local news.

I think Nine’s model is right, it’s just piss-poor execution & promotion, plus time for viewing habits to change…perhaps Nine are happy to let viewers get used to the new regional 9News bulletins and so are almost doing a soft-launch while the issues come up/until they bed down the new bulletins.

The rollout of 9News regional in Qld is going to be interesting to see given the increased complexity with so many local windows for them to manage.

3 Likes

“Local News Headlines” on SC9 in Townsville today still making no mention at all of the new 9 News bulletin launching on Monday!

3 Likes

Yep! Still on VAST too… haven’t even updated or added new channels NSW/ACT & VIC bulletins. Quite irritating… hopefully they will update this soon in September.

I’m wondering if there will be any impact on the ratings of Nine News Brisbane bulletin when the Sunshine Coast comes on line with its local news.

Many people on the Sunshine Coast in the Nine Brisbane licence area will be able to receive the new regional bulletin - will enough Nine News viewers switch to the local version (and then be counted in Regional TAM) to make a difference to Nine Brisbane’s ratings?

4 Likes

Queensland set:

19 Likes

Looks pretty spacious, they could easily have fit a proper set in there (a very small one, but still).

9 Likes

Surely a smaller scaled version of the old set could’ve been used for this.

4 Likes

9News regional presentation: Cookie-cutter meets lowest-common-denominator (we can’t fit anything bigger in Sydney, so this tiny design must be used in Melbourne & Brisbane too).

11 Likes

Brings new meaning to the “First and Best” slogan

FIRST (set that doesn’t share a room with the cleaning chemicals and mop bucket)
and
BEST (regional set that we’ve delivered so far)

1 Like

Its such a shame that there were 4 soon to be 6 decent Nine News sets that are no longer in use that could have been used for these regional bulletins.

I know the first set was introduced in 2009 but the Perth and Adelaide sets were newer and weren’t familiar to the east coast markets and could have been great sets for Victoria and Queensland. The NSW bulletin could utilise which ever existing set/studio at TCN it uses now just without the green screen plasma set up since the filming of the footy show in the large studio would prohibit filming from that space and large set at least once a week.

4 Likes

I don’t believe any available studios would be able to accomodate those sets. Even that Queensland set is in a studio that likely wouldn’t have enough depth to fit the desk into the shot.

2 Likes

How many studios are there at QTQ? I know there is the studio used for news and at least one other that was used for this NITV series last year.

I’m not sure about other states, but I have a feeling the desire to receive/not the capital city bulletin probably depends on the distance to the capital city partly.

As an example, up here in North QLD, being 1300km away from Brisbane, the general consensus is that we hear too much about Brisbane and need more localised services. Most people will still watch the Brisbane news to hear about any major national stories, but generally people up here hate hearing about Brisbane all the time.

I think the problem with this is more how it’s marketed (or more so, how it’s not marketed).
It’s being called “9 News North Queensland”, and the presenters of the bulletin and SCA radio announcers keep calling it “Nine LOCAL News”.

After decades of “Local News” meaning “your area only”, I think this wording is going to be a big problem/source of confusion for viewers.

Even the current promos airing on TV are all about the local region without any reference to the fact this bulletin will also include national stories. It’s all “A dedicated North Queensland team on the ground, bringing you the stories that matter where you live”, and “live and local” in the current promo.

If they had a promo saying something along the lines of “9 News North Queensland, bringing you the breaking news from the local area, and major stories from across Queensland and the world”, or just something like that then maybe viewers would realise this bulletin is designed to be a combined local/national bulletin rather than just a straight local bulletin, which is what people are expecting when they hear it called “Nine Local News”.

9 Likes

Probably doesn’t help that the local stories aren’t first up in the bulletin. They’re in the right place in terms of order of importance, but if people tune in to watch local news and see a national political story first up, it may turn them off.

6 Likes

9 News North QLD update

Link to video

1 Like

Well, the launch of 9 News NQ tonight hasn’t stopped the “Major Investigation” promos being shown :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

News updates are SD

Whoops! Major error from SCA with the Hot Seat “News Preview”.

(Video coming)

4 Likes

If only there was a brand which emphasised national and which has long been associated with Nine… :thinking:

3 Likes