Nine News Local

No openers yet but the same background this time Samantha Heathwood reading the Cairns / Far North Queensland news bulletin

6 Likes

I don’t know WHY they made that Intrust Super Cup score in that video so small…

I almost had to squint to read it, yet it’s the only thing on the whole screen!

3 Likes

Disappointing that stupid inset 9News box is still being used, even as Nine are adding Qld bulletins.

Perhaps it’s there just so SCA air the right version for the right area, yet that hasn’t stopped them screwing it up several times already.

Hopefully the Qld bulletins do well despite that pathetic static/generic (as opposed to story-specific) backgrounds.

3 Likes

Have finally started hearing the 9 News NQ promo airing a little more regularly on SCA’s radio stations.

They’ve been airing the exact 30-sec TV promo word-for-word with “starts Monday July 17” at the end.

Meanwhile those same promos on TV now say “starts Monday at 6”

1 Like

Nice to see this thread hasn’t evolved much over the last 250 posts :wink:

How’s Nine News in regional QLD going? Is it good/bad?

Don’t 7 QLD pretty much own regional QLD though?

1 Like

It’s early days, Luke.
Only one bulletin has been launched and it’s 3 days old.

But I think Nine will have a hard time making inroads into the 7QLD (and to a lesser extent) WIN audience.

Though I think Nine may have some success in Townsville and Cairns where Nine was TNQ/FNQ which was the incumbent broadcaster.

But Sunshine Coast, Wide Bay and Mackay will be the hardest where 7QLD is the incumbent.

7 Likes

I am in Cairns for the next two days, so I managed to record a montage of the new local news bulletin tonight. (I have included the time below the watermark).

Tomorrow, I want to do a story comparison between Nine and Seven as I have heard that earlier in the week, Nine didn’t have anywhere the amount of local stories of concern compared to Seven.

15 Likes

Yes, I would think 7 will have more local content, since it’s a 30 min local bulletin, versus about 10 mins of local news on Nine in the news hour.

2 Likes

Damn! You stole my idea I was hoping to do on Monday when 9 News launches in Townsville, haha!

3 Likes

Having grown up in Mackay. 9 News doesn’t have a hope in hell in getting close to 7 News in that market.

Even with stale presentation from Rob Brough, that area is extremely loyal to 7, much like people on here would say about Perth.

4 Likes

Just to confirm, was the local bulletin broadcast in HD, or is “HD Mode” being turned on when the Brisbane bulletin does?

1 Like

It’s a bit hard to tell for sure (being a compressed YouTube clip likely recorded off the SD channel), but I reckon the local bulletin is mostly broadcast in HD except for the weather which will go HD when South East Queensland’s 6pm news makes the switch.

1 Like

Brilliant to finally see 9 News Reg. QLD in the flesh!

Just watched the montage.
I really like Samantha Heathwood as a presenter, and think she did really well.
Static background image was relatively boring, as expected, and mentioned on other regional 9 News bulletins.

Opener had a good mix of local stories, although the SEQ train one probably didn’t belong there.

Soooo good to see a live cross from Cairns on the bulletin!

Great to have a petrol price update included, wasn’t expecting that.
Good to see a weather preview, although the locations they’ve placed the “towns” is just so wrong!

Good to see Paul and Sam back together again after all these years.

Weather report was interesting.
Flying down the state looking at the major centres and then going back and zooming into the NQ region was weird.

Would have been better to start with the NQ zoom in, then zoom out and fly down the state.

This full screen preview of Brisbane’s weather is completely unnecessary.

This is so wrong:

Cooktown, Cairns and Townsville are in the approximate correct locations.
But what map did they possibly look at for the other locations.

Weipa is right up near the tip of QLD, yet they have it west of Cairns!!
Hughenden is halfway between Townsville and the NT border, but they’ve got it nearly right on the coast!?!

Besides that, Weipa, Burketown, Mt Isa and Hughenden are all in areas that 9 News Regional QLD isn’t even broadcast to.

They’ve left off major FNQ towns like Innisfail, Ingham, Atherton, and Cardwell, that BOM provide forecasts for, to go ahead and include 4 locations that’ll never even see any of these reports?

And don’t get me started on the placement of Mareeba. Mareeba is only just west of Cairns. Yet they’ve got it southwest halfway out to Mount Isa!

After this point, I enjoyed the rest of the weather report.

I liked this:

With the forecast for the day broken down into Overnight/Morning/Afternoon.
It was also good to see the 7-day forecast including the rainfall forecast.

Overall, I’m really keen to see 9 News NQ on Monday.

5 Likes

Is it just me or does anyone else think the current quality of Queensland local news will diminish when they launch in the rest of QLD?

I’ll be interested to see how they’ll juggle stories / live crosses from 7 different markets in the “shared” sections of the bulletin.

1 Like

I’ll leave it to you. It is quite tedious, particularly for someone, like myself, who hates the current region TV news.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:2523, topic:2086”]
being a compressed YouTube clip likely recorded off the SD channel
[/quote] Yes. I record off the SD channel and cap off the HD (as my device only records the sound with a black screen, if you did it on the HD channel). Sorry.

4 Likes

I watched the launch of the Cairns news tonight and it really does feel like a local bulletin; that is less classy. Having watched the Brisbane news last night and the new local service tonight, from content to general on-air presentation, the local bulletins do feel cheap.

As I mentioned above, I feel the story arrangement is not quite right. Nine started with the State of Orgin and Seven started with a murder/robbery. A bull riding related story featured tonight, and apparently from locals, a similar story aired on their launch in the first main block!

Obviously, I will reiterate, the set arrangement is not ideal in any markets and the former 6pm News wooden sets would have been preferable.

IIRC, a lot of members were looking forward to the banter between Sam Heathwood and Paul Taylor but it seems to have been restricted due to the pre-recorded sports stories at the end of the segment (I was expecting Paul to say “Go the Maroons” or something).

Weatherwise, I was quite impressed with the amount of actual local weather included. @NQCQTV2 , tomorrow night I might compare the ‘accuracy’/similarity in the forecasting between Nine and Seven, as I assume Livio is rather trusted. Nicole , though, I thought was pretty good, again not ideal (perhaps a meteorologist would have been nice; would have been good if they got Win News weather veteran Peter Byrne out of retirement and have the full Win News team back).

3 Likes

Yes, they need to move Weipa, Mareeba up, and move Mt Isa left, and that will allow room to move Hughenden in between Townsville and Mt Isa.

And I agree, most of those towns aren’t even in the Nine Regional QLD footprint. Given its a Cairns bulletin, weather should be from the Daintree down to Cardwell and west to Mareeba, and cover more of the towns in between.

2 Likes

Yeah, I did find it a bit of a pity that they didn’t talk much, as they were a great laugh together on WIN News back in the day. Hopefully this improves.

I think once more bulletins have launched, they start with the “live” segment before moving to the pre-recorded “local” segments. Maybe they are practicing this, as a general SOO story would likely have started the bulletin in the “live” segment had the bulletin been airing in more than 1 market.

However, they really should start with the local pre-recorded segments right off the bat I reckon. That way the important local issues like a murder/robbery can go up straight away, and then the more general wider interest stories can follow in the live segment shown to each market.

It definitely felt cheap from what I saw, but from what I saw in your montage, I preferred it to the Brisbane bulletin, just for the fact that it wasn’t constantly ramping up to some stupid “major investigation” about Aldi or saving money!
It’s also good to see a service that’s not 100% focussed on a city that’s over 1000km away!

In my experience, Livio is one of those presenters that people either strongly trust, or passionately hate. I personally don’t like him whatsoever.

I actually know Peter Byrne. He’d love to present weather again, but he’d never move to Brisbane to do it. He’s very much a “small town” type person, as he lives in Yeppoon, near Rockhampton.

Yeah, as was I. It seemed to be a really good comprehensive report for Cairns, but really lacking for smaller surrounding areas within the market.

5 Likes

I liked Peter Byrne’s weather reports, though I didn’t get to see many of them.

I assume he’s now happily retired up there on the Capricorn Coast.

3 Likes