Nine News Local

Don’t think ratings would change if Aldi was sponsoring the news :slight_smile: .

1 Like

If they follow the same tabloid based model they’re using in Brisbane, I can’t see these regional bulletins performing to their full potential at all.

The tabloid format may be working for them in Brisbane, but from my experience, people in regional QLD will reject it strongly.

7 Likes

I hope you’re proven correct.

4 Likes

Maybe? Hasn’t ratings proved that people in SEQ love Aldi stuff?

1 Like

I certainly hope that the regional Queensland editions of Nine News don’t follow the same tabloid-based model that the main Brisbane/South East Queensland bulletin is running with.

The presenters/reporters shouldn’t be an issue, because it seems that Nine are actually getting some really good talent in for the Regional Queensland editions. I think that’s something they really struggled in with the Southern NSW/ACT launch, very few familiar faces that local viewers were familiar with. While Vanessa O’Hanlon isn’t a bad presenter, they really needed a former WIN News presenter at the helm - especially for the key Canberra & Illawarra markets where WIN News was the only local news for around 15 years.

I think another major mistake by Nine was not doing a pre-recorded “handover segment” (think Pete, Cam & Amber crossing to Vanessa, Mike & Gavin…or even the regional & metro presenters being in the same studio) at the end of the final weeknight bulletin before each of the regional bulletins started. This would’ve been good to reassure regional viewers that Nine News will still be seen at 6pm weeknights and infact become a better service despite many of the presenters changing.

On-Air Presentation might be a minor factor, but I think it’s the content quality and the presenters/reporters which will ultimately drive the ratings as the case is in virtually every other TV market of Australia.

3 Likes

Any thoughts on backdrops?

Will FNQ go for Cairns city or iconic Port Douglas or rainforest or reef?

I’m thinking Townsville will get Castle Hill

Mackay - perhaps Whitsundays

Rockhampton - cattle maybe or the Fitzroy River?

Wide Bay - Pialba? or cane fields or even whales?

Sunny Coast

Darling Downs

8 Likes

I certainly agree with that. The metro Nine News bulletins didn’t care much of those regional bulletin launches. It’s just plug and play and that’s that.

4 Likes

im just so over 9 news western victoria there missing out out on stores that i see later that win covered instead ie nadioc happening here in maryborough and the person who won over a million dollars in tatts but didnt check her ticket till later wasnt covered by 9 but by win instead i think like the rest of the town i will be giving 9 news Victoria the flick till the weather report 9 news is the only one who gives the correct weather over win news

1 Like

For a fair comparison, are there stories that 9 are covering that WIN aren’t?

2 Likes

There were stories that 9 exclusively covers, and so do WIN News.

2 Likes

Well look what I just found on Nine Townsville this afternoon…

12 Likes

Great to see that the promos for the Regional Queensland editions of Nine News have started airing.

Just a pity they left that shot from Fairfield, South Western Sydney in (which you might’ve seen in the “New Set Launch” promos for Nine News Sydney at the start of the year) just before the endtag though!

7 Likes

Seems like they are trying to give the message that this is the region’s first local news? Also, I thought the local inserts were pre-recorded, not live?

5 Likes

They also flew Sam down to Sydney to film the promos. Also why do they show a shot of Wally Lewis when it’s Paul Taylor that will be doing sports?

4 Likes

A couple of weeks back, Read_It_First reported that testing was underway for the new Nine News Queensland set. Even though South East Queensland’s 6pm news starts using it on July 22, they’d be doing rehearsals and promo material with it now surely?

I agree. Nine News Regional Queensland really should be putting promotional emphasis on the fact that Samantha Heathwood and Paul Taylor are about to be reunited for the new bulletins.

6 Likes

That’s a piece of sh** for Queensland.

It seems like Nine News is rushing to work for the promo, not realising what reels a certain state or region must show to their target audience.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say they’re probably trying to put emphasis on the fact that “most” of the bulletin will be live (i.e. non-local bits). As opposed to 7’s bulletin which is not live at all.

Although, given that the inserts will be pre-recorded, WIN News will be the only bulletin presented here that will be entirely live (minus weather).

5 Likes

Saying “live and local” is misleading as the local segments are the only parts that aren’t live :slight_smile: I really am over the need to exaggerate or mislead in promos - isn’t there something truthful to say about the bulletins?

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. It’s quite weird.
Also, why bother having footage of him walking through Suncorp stadium in Brisbane for an ad about a “live and local” bulletin.

If they wanted to show Wally Lewis (for whatever reason), send him to Townsville and have him walk through the local stadium the Cowboys play at, rather than the rival team’s stadium!

2 Likes