Nine News Local

Yeah there are quite a few complaints!

It’s a pity that some of the talented members here aren’t in charge of 9 regional news. I’m sure they’d actually listen and also make the bulletins pretty close to perfect!

3 Likes

Looks like things are progressing well in Cairns in the preparation for the new bulletin launching in 3 weeks if this clip from Today is anything to go by.

A local reporter to cross live to, as well as a heap of footage.

2 Likes

There’s no way anyone in Queensland could make similar complaints about either of the current local news services that I’ve seen on a regular basis. Both 7LN and WIN News spend the large majority of the bulletin on hyper local news events. Both services seem to be able to also call on reporters in Brisbane e.g. to interview the local member at Parliament House and very occasionally there is a ‘regional’ story e.g., a federal politician visiting regional Queensland and making announcements about primary industry. This is the type of local news that viewers will expect from Nine as well.

Found this on Facebook also:

As well as this story from the Cairns region:
http://www.cairnslifemag.com.au/celebrity/samantha-returns-screens/

2 Likes

Re, the Southern NSW/ACT regional bulletins: They really need to be produced and presented outside of Sydney. Enough said really.

It’s excellent to see Nine utilising content from it’s new regional news bureaus for Today, hopefully we see much more of this in the future.

Has it been mentioned yet that Phillip Calder (ex-WIN News Queensland) will be one of Nine News’ new reporters for Townsville? It seems that Nine are getting some really good talent in for the Queensland editions!

4 Likes

I hadn’t seen that mentioned before. Thanks!
Phillip Calder has been at WIN News Townsville for a little while now, so it’s good for him that a transfer over to 9 News doesn’t require him to move!

2 Likes

Found another article online:
http://highlifemagazine.net/9news-goes-regional/

This one confirming the “The Darling Downs bulletin will officially launch on Monday, 14 August”.

This article is also the second article I’ve seen to reference each bulletin by the exact same names, I’d assume these are likely to be the region names used for each of the bulletins.

“Darling Downs, Far North Queensland, North Queensland, Mackay, Central Queensland, Wide Bay, and Sunshine Coast.”

i.e. 9 News Far North Queensland, 9 News North Queensland, 9 News Mackay, 9 News Wide Bay, etc.

Confirmed so far is:
Far North QLD - July 10
Mackay - July 24
Central QLD - July 31
Darling Downs - August 14

That now confirms the suspected launch schedule as being:

Far North Queensland (i.e. Cairns) July 10
North Queensland (i.e. Townsville) July 17
Mackay July 24
Central Queensland (i.e. Rockhampton) July 31
Wide Bay August 7
Darling Downs (i.e. Toowoomba) August 14
Sunshine Coast August 21

It appears Samantha Heathwood has also been doing some travelling around each of the regions recently (I’m assuming to fill promos?)

This photo from The Strand in Townsville was posted on her instagram 2 weeks ago.

4 Likes

I’m really hoping so too!
Often i’ll be watching Today and a story will be airing about an accident in Sydney or something else in Brisbane, while meanwhile something more major has happened locally which gets no mention whatsoever.

Hopefully having these new 9 News bulletins in place adds some content to Today and other national bulletins.

2 Likes

This sort of thing…

“NINE Local News Mackay starts…”

…where SCA & Nine have been calling the new regional bulletins “local news” isn’t helping by setting a misleading expectation.

The new bulletins are not local news bulletins, which suggests purely local news, they’re combined local/national/international bulletins, and SCA & Nine should just stop promoting them as more local than they are.

The (antiquated or American-style) separate local news being what most people in regional areas have been used to, combined with over-promising how local they’ll be (above), the limitations of the local window format, and the bad use of Sydney/etc. local stories as padding in these regional bulletins is making this discontent worse than it needs to be.

The regional 9News bulletins can’t be perfect without spending a lot more on creating additional local reports & getting rid of the local window format, but that’s way too expensive if still live, and without (most of the bulletin) being live they lose a lot. A shame Nine aren’t listening (or don’t get it?).

1 Like

Are you able to provide links that confirm FNQ? I haven’t seen any in this thread that confirm the date, only speculation based on the dates we know.

I believe one of the Nine insiders on this forum first revealed the date of July 10.

Though I’ve also seen it referenced on Samantha Heathwood’s instagram account:

2 Likes

Riverina reporter Grace Fitzgibbon did a live cross on Today this morning:

5 Likes

Brilliant!
I seriously hope we see more content from the new regional markets coming into the national bulletins.

3 Likes

Here’s a video. Grace did a great job with that live cross!

1 Like

What happened to Jo hall?

2 Likes

Dougal Beatty presenting the Victorian bulletins again tonight.

3 Likes

Probably just on holidays, or away sick

2 Likes

Has Vanessa had a night off yet? I don’t recall seeing anyone else present the NSW bulletins so far.

2 Likes

All it would take to fix a lot of these problems it to have an Executive Producer based outside of Sydney making the story selections for the framework of the bulletin. Be they in Wollongong, Wagga or wherever; the Sydney team has shown it can’t identify parochial Sydney stories of no interest to the rest of NSW or the ACT like the price of latte in Bondi.

To be honest, it’s a shame they didn’t set up the bulletin at NBN to begin with! They have acres of space there.

Nine will want to preserve a decent audience share for 6-7pm - they should be aiming to beat Seven in Wollongong and Canberra at very least. They’ll find they need to work a bit harder long-term than they currently are. News can rate well, in 1993 WIN News was the #4 show in Canberra overall! Nine should be aiming for this.

3 Likes

If it’s possible I’d love to read the full “Switching Channels” article. I recall Christine Kininmonth left Capital to work at Seven and hosted 11AM for a brief period at some point but I don’t remember the year.