Nine News Local

The proposal states an increase from a minimum 90 points per week to 120 points per week - or 12 minutes of news per weekday with an average of 15 mins per weekday in any 6 week period. We’d hardly notice the difference.

I think you’re giving them too much credit in terms of having their “reasons”. There are loads of stories the Nine pool to choose from (Nine runs HOURS of news everyday). I am flagging poor story choices by Sydney-based producers who are most likely underpaid and overworked.

1 Like

I’m sure both NBN and Nine News Regionals would know what news are available to them, I don’t think they are stupid or ignorant. When you also consider before NBN was sold to Nine, they did run a few stories sourced from ABC/CBS America.

1 Like

No, I don’t think they are stupid either. I’m just pointing out (as a trained, experienced journalist) that the producers in Sydney are making strange and inappropriate story choices when putting together the Canberra bulletin - probably because they are in a rush. It’s the audience in Canberra who will ultimately decide if the news appeals to them and this will be reflected in the ratings.

Tell me, why do you think Canberrans would be interested in a story about a bus service that goes from the West of Sydney to Wollongong Uni? When it came on, it felt like the wrong bulletin was going to air. Do you not think it is a mistake to include stories like these?

I don’t believe there is some sort of Divine Nine News god that knows better than the local audience what’s good for them - I think the producers just thought “Oh, Canberra’s out that way, and the story is “local”, just pop it in”. Newsrooms are notoriously understaffed and the crew at Nine Regional are all learning as they go. Let’s not pretend they are experts - Nine even admitted it was a huge challenge.

5 Likes

I don’t think they even think of Canberra (nor much of the other variations either); I guess it was probably ‘…Oh, that’s in NSW, south of us, so it’ll be right for the Southern NSW bulletin…’

2 Likes

Updated Promo (Same as the previous version but with different highlights):

2 Likes

In response to my post concerning backdrops for the local bulletins, I found a mock by @NQCQTV2 that displays what I said perfectly.

Forget about the fake window that blocks the top and bottom third of the backdrop, have a simple image. Then they can do static wide shots (first story, sports handover) that don’t look out of whack.

2 Likes

Vanessa is presenting the weather.

3 Likes

@Read_It_First, how are the Queensland bulletins going? Are they on track? Do you know who will be doing sport?

1 Like
2 Likes

That looks like a combined Southern NSW forecast rather than the split Wollongong/Canberra and Central West/Riverina ones they usually do.

6 Likes

I don’t know. I get asked the same question from my dad in Ayr from time to time. He wants to see the North Queensland bulletin up and running. However I do not know when that might be, or who will be the sport reader or weather presenter. All I know is that Samantha Heathwood will be reading the North Queensland bulletin and that’s all I know to date.

Well, hopefully the person the question was directed at will know more. :wink:

5 Likes

Paul Taylor on sport
Regional has been pushed back a week. First bulletin will begin on July 10.

8 Likes

The same Paul Taylor who was previously a presenter (at one point, I believe in a duo with Samantha Heathwood) on WIN News in Regional Queensland?

If so, the three way battle between Seven, Nine and WIN in Regional Queensland could turn out to be very interesting!

4 Likes

I thought the Sydney team would finally use their in-house weather maps like what Amber uses when she presents the weather for Sydney. The maps are NBN-provided.

Here’s how the Canberra set looked in 1989 - the “window” was back-lit perspex and a lot smaller than Vanessa has today. This wouldn’t work today due to the oblique angle, but I agree it would be more pleasing to the eye to have more set and less green screen in shot. To me, Vanessa still looks 2D, as if she’s floating. Like the WIN bulletins out of Wollongong.

3 Likes

Explains why he was MIA on Win News since the start of the year. And yes @SydneyCityTV, Paul Taylor and Samantha Heathwood co-anchored Win News for north/central Qld for at least 5 years.

[quote=“Willwalk, post:2255, topic:2086”]
However I do not know when that might be, or who will be the … weather presenter[/quote]

Nine Gold Coast reporter Nicole Rowles will read the weather.

2 Likes

Wow, the production of that bulletin looks far superior than it does today IMO.

“News headlines can be found on our website, wintv.com.au” - you certainly wouldn’t find them there these days!

6 Likes

I thought that was the case.

Judging by those “WIN News Funny Moments” clips that @NQCQTV2 did back in the day, we could be in for some classic banter when crossing to/from the Sports segment with Heathwood and Taylor once the Regional Queensland editions of Nine News launch!

3 Likes