Nine News Local

They’re tuning into Fergo on Seven or Dan Bourchier on ABC News.

2 Likes

It’s unlikely. In Victoria, SCA only has studios in Bendigo - the Traralgon studio has long been demolished.

I find him somewhat dull. He is sometimes cherry, but it’s like he’s doing a fireside talk rather than reading the news.

1 Like

Nice touch to see the effort of adopting the network’s Anzac graphics for local reports.

Interesting comparison: WIN went to their first ad break at 6:08pm, Nine’s first was at 6:18pm (consisted almost entirely of local/national/international Anzac Day stories, which continued after the break).

3 Likes

There was a fatal double shooting in Wangaratta late this afternoon, in the border north east area.

It came out just after 5pm, did the bulletin at 6pm cover this?

1 Like

And ahead of Seven News on Prime7.

1 Like

They could potentially broadcast the regional NSW bulletin out of NBN when they finally move to new premises. And Queensland could be broadcast out of the Gold Coast somehow, but the quick changeover would be a real problem.

All this won’t happen IMO, Nine Gold Coast does have two studios- their current and former set.

They did, but only briefly after the extended Anzac coverage (see clip below). It was exactly same as on the Melbourne bulletin (with Jo reading instead of Peter).

It was an interesting scenario, actually. They did have reporter Caitlin Knight on the scene, posting photos from the ground to Twitter throughout the day - I was expecting a live cross, however she didn’t feature at all. No doubt there will be a full story tonight given the national attention.

WIN aired a story from earlier in the day but at that stage it was still ongoing and no deaths reported. 7 News Melbourne covered the story best on the night, which to me is a little concerning for 9 News Local…

1 Like

Canberra bulletin just had a live cross to Damien Ryan regarding Australian Olympic Committee emergency meeting.

2 Likes

…Not tuning in for Bourchier either, but (maybe despite him) for ABC News.

I guess the only ones watching 9News are us oddballs on MS who can see the difference between the others’ SD & Nine’s HD (so we can clearly see Nine’s piss-poor presentation for regional).

2 Likes

Andrew Lund reading Victoria tonight

4 Likes

Wait, you mean that Mr Nutgrab? From Getaway? I didn’t know he was a news reader…

2 Likes

Nevermind, I was thinking of Jules Lund.

5 Likes

Pretty sure ABC News Canberra at 7pm is the most successful news bulletin and always outrates prime.

1 Like

Why has Nine even bothered with the CGI set “window” for its regional bulletins? In the capital city bulletins, all you see when the camera is on the presenter is a plain video backdrop, so why can’t the regional bulletins just use a plain backdrop (keyed in for each region) and not worry about the fake set and plasma?

1 Like

AFAIK the plasma is real (for the Sydney-based set at least, which was used for about a year of Nine News Now and sometimes A Current Affair, etc.), but Nine just shows chroma key green on it whenever local backdrops are required.

I realise that. But why don’t they just have a plain key on the screen showing a simple backdrop:

Instead of this CGI set…

A plain cityscape or landscape like the capital bulletins (but keyed in for each region)

3 Likes

They had a blank image when the first NSW bulletins launched and it looked crap. Either needs to be a proper live shot/video loop or a static photo but with a bit of added interest.

The metro bulletins are filled with dynamic shots that feature the set these days, it’s not enough to just do a static headshot for a full hour anymore. FWIW I’m not a fan of the current regional backdrops but they are better than they were before.

4 Likes

It wasn’t a blank image, it was covered with graphics and globe goop; you could barely see the local shot.

I agree. If a live shot is too difficult, surely they could record the landscape or cityscape from light evening to darker night and play sections of the footage accordingly so that it appears like a liveshot.

3 Likes