Nine News Local

Who is that?

4 Likes

Presentation actually looks half decent from that screenshot.

That’s Alissa Warren.

Thought so… god haven’t seen her at Nine for years.

1 Like

9News Canberra continues to disappoint:

18:11 and they stuffed up what should’ve been a good use of a story from within the broadcast area about locals protesting a mine but Vanessa didn’t say where it was other than in the west of NSW, so unless viewers recognise the locations on signage in the background during the report (let alone if viewers happened to look away at those moments), we don’t have a location more accurate than the western half of NSW!
How hard would it have been to say the location, and maybe describe it as some number of kilometres in a compass direction from the nearest large town (as so often heard elsewhere)?

Still local Sydney stories as fillers, including very early in the bulletin;
NSW politicians described as the generic “Opposition leader”, etc. without the clarifying “NSW” prefix;
Vanessa mispronounced the name of Dortmund’s football team attacked with roadside bombs;
in the Canberra local window a reporter left out the “square” in “square metres” (length and area are somewhat different);
and of course still the same crappy generic backgrop behind every news story.

Given the rollout of NSW bulletins has completed, and there doesn’t seem to have been any recent improvements, I’m losing hope that Nine are going to improve this sub-par service. :disappointed:

5 Likes

Personally, I’m hoping that Nine will continue to lose out on the regional bulletins in NSW. But with the way Nine is continuing right now, I don’t think they will ever become ‘First and Best’.

1 Like

Was this it, at a mine near Mudgee?

As far as I can tell, tonight’s top story on Nine (and Seven) News Sydney was the incident of a 65 year old man being bashed at Riverstone train station while walking home from the Royal Easter Show.

If the regional editions of Nine News lead with this particularly local report, that’s pretty bad (well the story itself is too, but I’m talking in the context of locally relevant content for a regional audience of course)!

1 Like

The Canberra edition led with that same story.

1 Like

Why am I not totally surprised? As I’ve said before and I’ll say again, this is why having news bulletins for Regional NSW largely produced from Sydney is a bad idea.

Please do “The NBN News Test” Nine. If your Newcastle-based colleagues wouldn’t run with a largely Sydney-specific news story at the top of their news bulletin(s), neither should the Southern NSW/ACT editions.

6 Likes

the victorian bulletins are doing a lot better by the looks:)

5 Likes

Is she freelance? Every so often she pops up at Nine and then goes missing again.

Yes that looks like it, but there was no mention of Mudgee or the Hunter Valley, which I know isn’t in western NSW! Wow. :confounded:

2 Likes

Given that NBN will still lead with a Newcastle story that isn’t particularly relevant to other markets, they aren’t immune to that criticism either.

The problem that Nine News (regional) and NBN News both have is that you can’t be an “all things to all people” type bulletin.

I think a better format would be to have a clearly defined local window for each market eg. put the local news all in the 2nd block and state at the end of the 1st block that “all of today’s local news is next”, so that it’s clear what the format is and that there’s none of this disjointedness that we see up here in NBN land eg.“there’s more on the floods later in the bulletin for our Northern Rivers viewers” that goes out to every market.

1 Like

Fair point!

I probably have to agree with your suggestion of having a clearly defined local news window in say, the 2nd block of the news.

4 Likes

I would imagine: What if the Watson facilities weren’t sold off to residential owners, renovated and upgraded to a digital HD centre? Well, that would have been my thought but events happened anyway.

1 Like

So I imagine Nine News Regional is now killing it in the ratings? :wink:

My mind tuned out for a lot of the first half hour of Nine News Canberra tonight, then I switched over to The Project. When I get unlimited NBN fibre internet connected next Wednesday I’ll start streaming Nine News Sydney so I can watch a professional news bulletin again.

4 Likes

Still no word on the QLD bulletins?

1 Like

I daresay it will be a few weeks after QLD receives the new set (which we’re still waiting for).