Nine News Local

Yes first for Nine, and listening to the promo that’s the way I understood it.
Otherwise it’d be just ridiculous nonsense; and adding to the CTC (now owned by SCA) example, ABC News Canberra airs every day, presented from the Canberra studio.

Anyway, finally promos!
I can’t wait to see the new 9News Canberra; hopefully no/not many early glitches (especially when the Illawarra edition is added), and a nice modern presentation to contrast against the stale offering from WIN Ten, and as 9News rolls out more broadly, the likes of Prime7, especially if/when Nine have new sets (matching those now in Perth & Sydney) for these regional bulletins (& the national bulletins presented from from Sydney/Melbourne/etc.).
(I know, some wishful thinking at the end here, but Nine at least need to do something to the older sets so they don’t look too different from the new ones.)

PS:

Marketing = twisting facts to something still with a tenuous connection to reality:
Nine can say ‘number 1’ & “First” because wasn’t TCN9 the first (or number 1) TV station in Australia?
Dedicated Canberra team would be the reporters based at CTC.
“First & Best” isn’t specific to 9News Canberra, but a general 9News tagline/statement/claim, isn’t it?

3 Likes

Forgive me if I’m incorrect, but hasn’t Nine News beaten Seven News both nationally and in metro bulletins along the east coast in recent years?

I’m pretty sure that Seven News won the five capital city ratings last year, although Nine did win in the three major East Coast markets (albeit, very narrowly in South East Queensland) in 2016.

1 Like

Nine just got taken to court for saying that Today was Australia’s number one breakfast show. Everyone knows what “Australia’s number one news means” and Nine can’t make that claim in any form at all.[quote=“Nick, post:462, topic:2086”]
Forgive me if I’m incorrect, but hasn’t Nine News beaten Seven News both nationally and in metro bulletins along the east coast in recent years?
[/quote]

Seven News was/is Australia’s number one TV news in 2016 across the 5-city metro markets and all regional markets.

4 Likes

I believe the key difference of interpretation that Nine was ignoring the regional viewers, while Seven were saying “Australia’s number 1” is about the entire nation, not just the 5 city metro audience…

“Australia’s number 1 news” is problematic. Hasn’t Nine been claiming that prior to this promo, and not just city-specific claims?
I wonder if Seven will sue again. The problem is the stupid rating split between 5 city metro & regional; I’d like to see the combined national audience numbers reported instead.
How are national numbers impacted by regional areas where “7News” doesn’t air at 18:00, that is in Seven affiliate areas where “Southern Cross News” or “Prime7 News” airs instead? (Is it misleading to call those programmes “7News” for a ratings comparion despite the different names on air?)

No - Seven is number one for the metro viewers as well.

Here are the numbers from the news article

Audience 6-7pm average

1 Like

That 9NEWS Canberra promo smashes anything on any-other-commerical-channel (in Canberra).

9 Likes

Perhaps you misunderstood my first point was about Today vs Sunrise, for which Seven argued that “Australia’s” has to be across the entire country not just selected/5 metro cities:

2016-10-28:

(My bold:)
Seven made its point releasing figures for average audiences across both the metro markets and a combined audience number, including regional viewers, which it has been citing as proof it has more viewers Australia-wide than its competitor.

While conceding Today cannot be beaten in the war over weekly wins, Seven argues the metro and regional battle is still in play…

You’ve done what Nine did wrong with Today, by quoting only the 5 cities numbers, not the national numbers including regional viewers, so in no way can that prove your contention that 7News is number 1 in Australia, or disprove Nine’s claim to the contrary.
(I’d still love to see the total national numbers to confirm whether the Seven or Nine network won 18:00-19:00 timeslot in 2016.)

I clearly stated above “across the 5-city metro markets and all regional markets” but I’ll say it again, Seven News won the metro ratings and the regional ratings and is Australia’s number one news. We can’t publish the regional ratings though. Seven included some information on this in their end of year report

“Across 2016, more Australians watched Seven News. Seven News is now Australia’s number one at 6:00pm, leading Nine News across the five major metropolitan markets and across all metropolitan and regional markets.”

Nine’s claim from its 2016 ratings report “Nine’s east coast bulletins are No. 1.”

I think we have gone off topic enough now.

1 Like

OK, fair enough. The “we can’t publish” is odd & frustrating, but explains it.
Thanks for clarifying.

Seven News/Prime 7 News beats NBN News in Nth NSW? I seriously doubt that.

No Prime didn’t beat NBN but because Seven own the regional stations in Queensland - that is how Seven can claim regional numbers

(I hate to keep this tangent going but can’t leave that alone…)
Ownership shouldn’t be the measure; (based on above) I’d think it should be total viewers 18:00 - 19:00 for the networks & affiliates, regardless of ownership or name of the news programmes airing in that window, but even that time window is artificial:
It excludes Ten Eyewitness News at 17:00, disregards the other news programming during the day/night, etc.
Maybe it (for the purpose of who’s news is Australia’s most watched) should be viewers multiplied by the hours of a particular channel/network/affiliate’s news programming watched per day or week, or over the entire year?

Well that’s just the thing, because affiliates are just that, affiliates. They are not owned and operated by the big networks. And because OzTAM which collect and publish the metro ratings are a seperate entity to RegionalTAM. Put all that aside, Seven News won both the metro numbers as well as Regional Queensland therefore giving them a national result. It doesn’t seem fair, but that’s just how it operates.

No it isn’t

Ownership has nothing to do with it. Just the same as ratings are added together for other programs like MKR, regarless of ownership, they are added as best they can be for state based or equivalent bulletins. So “national” Nine News is coded as “National News” in the regional ratings and includes NBN News and state based Nine News shown on SCT and WIN. Seven News on GWN 7 counts as Seven News and for Regional QLD - Seven News at 6.30 counts as Seven News.

Well then it’s a matter of interpretation.
People (Seven or others) can’t claim that Nine (or another company) are lying when saying “Australia’s number 1” if the fair & relative numbers don’t back that up (I don’t know if they do/don’t).
Did & would people have still excluded Channel 9 Perth & Adelaide numbers from the 5-cities metro just because they (at the time) weren’t owned by Nine Entertainment Co, so automatically Seven would win? Ridiculous.
Affiliate or not doesn’t matter.
Total viewers in the country matters (as Seven’s Sunrise vs Today lawsuit confirmed), and it’s what advertisers care about (where are the viewers?).

Ok well you learn something new everyday. I was just under that impression hence why there’s different ratings (1 set for regional and 1 set for metro). And it’s no wonder why I got confused. But clearly Seven’s regional partners contributed (overall) for Seven being able to claim Australia’s number one news.

Maybe that was a reason why Nine News (when it was number one in the metros recently) they weren’t claiming to be Australia’s number one news.

This is all puzzling me now lol. Urghh anyways better get back on topic here

1 Like

Wow! I was not expecting these new bulletins to use the same new set designs.
These regional news bulletins are going to look great!!!

1 Like

and back on topic… thank you :sunglasses:

7 Likes

I don’t think they will be. I think they might just be using the Today set.

1 Like